Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Miss Daisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving my dog from England to Canada

Please could anyone tel me if they have heard of Skydogs pet Agent Matlock Derbyshire u.k
Also is it a must that dog needs Rabies shot from U.K to Canada it is Rabies free so am i to presume Dog dont need one to go there
Thanks For Help Anyone Daisy
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Daisy
Please could anyone tel me if they have heard of Skydogs pet Agent Matlock Derbyshire u.k
Also is it a must that dog needs Rabies shot from U.K to Canada it is Rabies free so am i to presume Dog dont need one to go there
Thanks For Help Anyone Daisy
Hi i have been told you do have to have a rabies vaccination for a dog from england to canada. i have looked into it for when we move there
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lindabey
Hi i have been told you do have to have a rabies vaccination for a dog from england to canada. i have looked into it for when we move there
Thanks Linda i have called Defra and they have told me No as long as you have the full Health Certificate i have also been told that by the agent i am using but i am checking if more than 2 people knew for sure' I know if Defra says it then all well and good but i am stil left unsure I dont see how our dogs can be put into quarantine for 6 months if we dont do the shot when we are a rabies free country England
I was more concerned if anybody heard of the Agent Skydogs
If you also feel very unsure call Defra they will give you out some info
Thanks Hun
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Linda i have called Defra and they have told me No as long as you have the full Health Certificate i have also been told that by the agent i am using but i am checking if more than 2 people knew for sure' I know if Defra says it then all well and good but i am stil left unsure I dont see how our dogs can be put into quarantine for 6 months if we dont do the shot when we are a rabies free country England
Thanks Hun
When i fly my dog over i am going to use Airpets. My daughter used them when she went to canada taking her dog with her and they were very good.
my daughter had to have the rabies vaccination for her dog. although there
is no quarantine when you go out there would be if you come back. I did quite a bit of research as i have a large doberman to go and the health certificate you have to have done i think 7 days before you go . but when i spoke to them they said rabies vac a must. hope that helps. you could always post on here has anyone used skydogs and see what reply you get.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:48 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Thanks Hun
sorry cant help with skydogs but all dogs must have a rabies jab
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by arniedog
sorry cant help with skydogs but all dogs must have a rabies jab
Wel we coming from a Rabies free country and Defra is the one to say what goes and they have told me No need for rabies shot if that is not the case then my Dog could have the shot in Canada that is where the rabies is
i am confused but i will know for sure soon
Thanks for help
Daisy
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lindabey
When i fly my dog over i am going to use Airpets. My daughter used them when she went to canada taking her dog with her and they were very good.
my daughter had to have the rabies vaccination for her dog. although there
is no quarantine when you go out there would be if you come back. I did quite a bit of research as i have a large doberman to go and the health certificate you have to have done i think 7 days before you go . but when i spoke to them they said rabies vac a must. hope that helps. you could always post on here has anyone used skydogs and see what reply you get.
Thanks Linda i will call Defra again its confusing thats why i was asking about agents skydogs they not telling me the steps and i am running late with my dogs vacs as i dont know what they are
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

sorry cant help with skydogs but all dogs must
have a rabies jab
Hope this helps out. i have just pulled out the instructions for dogs and cats to canada and usa.
Dogs and cats may enter the usa and canada from the united kingdom without any quarantine restrictions..
for entry into canada a dog or cat requires health certification issued by Defra 5 days prior to shipment. Due to recent out breaks of rabies in Canada it is recommended that pets are vaccinated against rabies before shipment from the U.K . otherwise this may have to take place at the airport on arrival, which could delay the release of the pet to the owner.
Returning to the U.K . USA and canada are now in the Pet passport system however at the present time only certain airlines and routes have been approved by Defra for the importing of dogs and cats under this scheme. For pets imported from unapproved routes and unapproved airlines, in order to conform with the requirements of Defra dogs and cats enter the U>K under licence for short term quarantine (about 5 days) before being released to their owners.

(also make sure their yearly booster and kennel cough is all upto date . this should clear things up for you. good luck
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:47 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Wel we coming from a Rabies free country and Defra is the one to say what goes and they have told me No need for rabies shot if that is not the case then my Dog could have the shot in Canada that is where the rabies is
i am confused but i will know for sure soon
Thanks for help
Daisy
we are using a company called transfur for our hound and they told us he needed to be up to date with all his usual jabs , a defra health cert/fit to fly cert which defra send to your vet and your vet should do his checks approx 72 hrs before leaving and a rabies jab. We asked our vet and he also said our dog needed a rabies jab, but only needed a passport if we intended to return to the UK within the next year . Maybe you could ask your vet , they should know , also try ringing a couple of other pet transfer companies and see what they say . Hope some of this helps sorry just remembered we were also told he had to be micro-chipped too

Last edited by arniedog; Jul 26th 2011 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:36 am
Just Joined

we are using a company called transfur for our hound and they told us he needed to be up to date with all his usual jabs , a defra health cert/fit to fly cert which defra send to your vet and your vet should do his checks approx 72 hrs before leaving and a rabies jab. We asked our vet and he also said our dog needed a rabies jab, but only needed a passport if we intended to return to the UK within the next year . Maybe you could ask your vet , they should know , also try ringing a couple of other pet transfer companies and see what they say . Hope some of this helps sorry just remembered we were also told he had to be micro-chipped too
Thanks Arnie I will get the rabies shot and usual jabs better to be safe than sorry i was thinking maybe i was told by defra something different because i am taking my dog home to canada wont be returning When we came to u.k i used Boomerang agent and all went well thanks for the info and help i will go with my gut feeling and help from here
Cheers
Daisy
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Moving my dog from England to Canada

Been here 2 months now and my dog is fine so thanks to the people that give out info on bringing my dog to canada it was pretty easy all along all the worry
thanks guys n dolls
daisy
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

mickjdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i moved to alberta last week and for months i dreaded the fact of flying my dog here, infact the stress of moving my little girl overtook everything else. Well im here and she is settling in well, what i really wanted to say is if you are able do it the DIY way i did everything very straightforward and i would reccomend Air Canada they were fantastic from start to finish from the moment we arrived at Heathrow they were great, even opened up the check in desk early so as to book us in i cannot thank them enough. They let her stay with me right up until about an hour before the flight. If you need any advise please contact me and i am one of the worse to panic, but let me reassure those of you contemplating travelling with your furry friend it will be ok, my little girl went excess baggage no problem................
Old Sep 19th 2012, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Tysonkia26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by varos1978
Hi

I will be moving to Canada in September and I will be bringing my dog with me. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on the best way to do this. Would you recommend using a pet transport company, and if so which one? I have also thought about booking this on my own with the airline, is that recommended? Does someone know what paperwork has to come with my dog, I have his shot record from the vet but not sure if I need anything else. Finally I will be going to Alberta so that is approximately an 8 hour flight, would you recommend sedating the dog so the trip is less stressful on them?
Really just any advice and experiences that people have with moving pets from England to Canada would be great!
Thank you
Hi, we moved to Regina 2 months ago, we used a company called PetAir UK. I did a lot of research as we was also bringing two cats. They offer two different packages, cheap and cheerful was about £1600 for all 3 but you had to do the vet checks and take the animals to them the day of the flight (which wasn't something we could do as we flew out earlier) and find the airline standard crates (the one for the dog was nearly (£500) the Gold package was £2300 for all threebut they gave them their shots did the vet checks and everything so the only work we had to do was fill in the paper work. I also got email updates from them so they told me when they got on the flight and so on. Also they made us custom crates as we have a very large German Shepherd.

They will not sedate them on flights, and they aren't allowed anything in the crate with them not even their collars or a blanket due to safety reasons.

Also could be a little different for you, but my dog was too big to fly into Regina so had to go to Calgary as it was the closet big airport!
Hope this helps! Any questions feel free to ask!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This the official website of the CFIA the Agency that are responsible and has the legislation in regards to importing animals into Canada. This website was last updated on 14 Aug 2012. Basically any discrepancy between what the UK pet agencies say you need and what this website says you need you will be dealing with CBSA/CFIA when you land with the dog.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1331876307796
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:32 am
Just Joined

mickjdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add paperwork needed, fit to fly cert vet, rabies cert vet, no Defra if rabies cert in place. My dog was allowed blanket in crate infact i also put in my dressing gown which i slept in for a couple of nights before flight.Please do not panic very straightforward, just to add i rang defra for export cert could not ensure it would be ready in time for flight however then contacted canadian embassy for confirmation and was told to go back to defra, informed me not required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.