Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Old May 16th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving my dog from England to Canada

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hmmm ours went to the states for testing - took bout F weeks n cost 400 bux for 2 dogs!
I paid $600,cn for two dogs which I thought pretty expensive also one failed so I had to re do it 21 days later and pay again. I have just paid £120.00 for both of them on friday infact in the UK and will have results in 2 weeks or less.
I hope this helps.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
The fitness to fly certificate seemed to be generated by the vets - it was on their headed paper.
I'll try to attach a copy below, for your vets' information.
The Defra letter gives details of the rabies vaccination, so I don't think your information is correct that it is only needed if not rabies vaccinated. It gives details of home address, destination address, breed, age, colour, microchip number and vaccination date, name of vaccine and supplier, batch number and expiry date, plus vets details.
I suggest your vet calls defra for advice if they are unsure.
Thanks so much for that info, it's really reassuring. I drive past the vets most days and get irritated each time at the moment!
Anyway this is where I got my info from, you need one certificate OR the other

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

Seeing your letter has really put my mind at rest. If it's alright with you I'll give a copy to my vet and she can just copy the format.

thanks again
Old May 19th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

There do tend to be the two methods of shipping pets to Canada, through the airline directly or through a pet travel agent.

If you are arranging the shipment yourselp you just need to make sure that the pet has enough room in the flight crate to stand up, turn around and lie down in comfortably. There also needs to be sufficient ventilation in the (solid) pet carrier.

In terms of paperwork, airlines will always require the fit to fly, which is just the letter on headed paper from a vet, just the lines saying that the pet is free from contagious diseases and is fine to go on the flight. If you have a pet passport then there's the "clinical examination" page towards the back which a vet can complete for you.

With a current vaccination, all the pet should need is the "fit to fly". Without a rabies vaccination the pet should need an Export Health Certificate which basically states that the UK is rabies-free. Further advice can be sought from DEFRA/Animal Health -01228 403600.

Sedation is very much a no-no since there's no-one to check on the pets in flight and the last thing anyone wants is a sleepy pet waking up on the flight and not knowing where they are and how they got there. Pets will get refused at the airline if they seem sedated.

There are collars and homeopathic sprays that you can get. These should always be tried before the flight to check the pet's reaction and collars should be refused by the airline, since there is always the chance of a stressed dog or cat getting itself into a state with one, but some airlines do seem not to bother. One of the best things to do is to put some of your clothing in with the dog so that there is a familiar smell in the box.

On the whole pets travel a lot better than people!
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by arniedog
sorry also meant to say that some airlines ie t.cook wont let you book dog yourself you have to do it through a pet travel company , but if you want to look at diy air transat do let you , not sure if your flying from where they go from , you can get their No. From internet too. The op was right about micro chip and rabies jab they also have to have a health check but your best off asking your vet about that good luck
I booked mine myself flying Airtransat 17 June
Old May 29th 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Thanks so much for that info, it's really reassuring. I drive past the vets most days and get irritated each time at the moment!
Anyway this is where I got my info from, you need one certificate OR the other

Seeing your letter has really put my mind at rest. If it's alright with you I'll give a copy to my vet and she can just copy the format.

thanks again
No problem - go ahead. Best of luck.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, do the Canadian FIA accept Pet Passports as a valid vaccination certificate for dogs or do I need a separate document?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Hey guys, do the Canadian FIA accept Pet Passports as a valid vaccination certificate for dogs or do I need a separate document?

Thanks
I have flown twice with two dogs never had a problem. They don't actually know what they are but are happy they are proof that they have had their rabbies vac.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:25 am
Just Joined

ddwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we landed 4 weeks ago in Calgary with our 5 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier. We did use an agency (Petair) and I am so glad that we did. They took all the stress out of the process and made sure that we were kept in the loop the whole time and any problems were sorted straight away. You have to be careful as requirements change quite often.
At the moment you only need a fit to fly certificate which must be done shortly before your flight. You also need to have the defra certificate.

Defra will send the correct documentation to the vets that you list and its up to you to contact them and ensure that they are received. The vets will check your dog and fill in the fit to fly paper which he will give to you. He will also fill in the defra paperwork and out of the stack he will give you the health certificate that states that your dog comes from a country free from certain diseases and they will send the other information back to defra.
Although you do not need a pet passport it is recommended that you have one and that you have your pet vaccinated against rabies as it would create problems should you want to return to England.
You should also have your dogs vaccination record.
We had problems with receiving the defra paperwork and the agency had them send a second copy by guaranteed delivery. Who you're travelling with and from where as well as where you're landing can affect the process. We had to take our dog to the world freight centre 3 hrs before the flight and on the other end we had to go to the freight centre (about 1 mile away) get the paperwork, return to the airport to go to customs and pay them. Return to the freight centre and show them the completed paperwork and pay them also. Then we were allowed to take our dog. I would recommend having some wet ones just in case. Our dog has a cage lined in a fleece impregnated with the nursing bitch scent and we still found him shaking and covered in his own excrement.
I hope this helps. We travelled from Manchester to Calgary flying with Canadian Affair through thomas cook.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

A Pet Passport is not required to fly your pet out from UK to Canada. Lots of other paperwork is - some of which is in the pet passport ... but the passport is not required. The other bits and bobs you need have been listed by other posters ... BUT a pet passport will be required if you need to bring your dogs back into the UK soon after they have flown ... we have got our three all passported up as part of our preparation for arrival in July ... as I say, not to get them in, but just in case (and we are pretty sure this will not happen...) it does not work out and we need to come back for any reason ... its one of those things we have done with the intention of not needing it!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys. My dog is vaccinated and has a pet passport which details all of the information required as per the CFIA. It seems all I need to do now is get her crate for travel, get her fit to fly etc at her final visit with the vet and get her on a flight
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Don't forget the DEFRA stuff ... needed (I believe) over and above the stuff you have listed ...
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furries
Don't forget the DEFRA stuff ... needed (I believe) over and above the stuff you have listed ...
From what I've read, the DEFRA export documents are only required if your pet is not rabies vaccinated.

Anyone care to confirm/deny who is 100% sure?

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

you need the defra paperwork. They changed the rules and if you go to the airport without that and the fit to fly then you will be in trouble. These are the only 2 essential things.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddwest
you need the defra paperwork. They changed the rules and if you go to the airport without that and the fit to fly then you will be in trouble. These are the only 2 essential things.
Why do you say the rules have changed? I've just copied this link which clearly states that they need either/or....

Last edited by DandNHill; Jun 10th 2011 at 8:11 am. Reason: smiley stuck to url!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

its not just what the different Canadian provinces want on their end its also what the exporting airlilne and freight handlers want on this end that you have to check. When we took our dog to the freight centre they weren't interested in his passport the only two documents that they cared about were his fit to fly and his defra certificate. Like I said it may differ airline to airline and airport to airport so make sure you check what they will need so you have everything when you get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.