Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Moving my dog from England to Canada

Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my dog from England to Canada

Quick question, where did the Vet get the "fit to fly" certificate. We're moving in August so spoke to the vet about it today but she didn't know the requirements for Canada. On the Canadian Food Inspection Agency they say a certificate is needed but don't offer a template. Is it then just a letter rather than a certificate?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Pinkfox56 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took two yorkies to PEI. Landed at Halifax and they wanted to see their vaccination certificates from the vet. Please, please do everything Defra want in case you don't stay or you will have to have them quarantined when you get back. You just never know how things will work out.

They were fine on the flight. I think we fussed more about it. One thing nobody told us was to have a funnel and water container attached to the crate. Airport staff were very helpful and improvised by dashing off to the canteen and getting the bits and bobs or we wouldn't have been able to take them.

Unfortunately, they didn't come back with us as they were stolen. Dogs are a valuable commodity in the States where we trucked to.

All the best with your move.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkfox56
Unfortunately, they didn't come back with us as they were stolen.

That's sad!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by varos1978
Hi

I will be moving to Canada in September and I will be bringing my dog with me. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on the best way to do this. Would you recommend using a pet transport company, and if so which one? I have also thought about booking this on my own with the airline, is that recommended? Does someone know what paperwork has to come with my dog, I have his shot record from the vet but not sure if I need anything else. Finally I will be going to Alberta so that is approximately an 8 hour flight, would you recommend sedating the dog so the trip is less stressful on them?
Really just any advice and experiences that people have with moving pets from England to Canada would be great!
Thank you
Hey when my daughter emigrated to canada 15 months ago she used airpets they were very good.
we ourselves are moving to vancouver this year and will be using airpets again.
they do not like to sedate dogs , i have already been into this question.
hope this helps and good luck with your move
Old Apr 30th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ove with us in March. We used petsawayuk and it cost around £700 in total. He flew on the same Canadian Affair flight as us.
You can take pets on as excess baggage on Air Canada and British Airways flights but the cost of these airline tickets is double what Canadian affair is for passengers, so it worked out cheaper for us to fly CA any pay the courier.
We got our dog a petpassport before we left, it's not strictly necessary to get him into Canada but it means if we return to the UK he doesn't have to go into quarantine.

Petsawayuk worked out ok, they were a good price but we could have done with more information about collecting the dog in Toronto (it took us over two hours to find where to get the dog and get things stamped).
Old May 13th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DieterG
Do not waste your money on pet agency's. I made sure my dog was chipped, had a pet passport with all the rabies stuff in it. I too almost fell fowl to the 900 pound pet agencies. I flew from Heathrow to Edmonton with Air Canada. I booked my dog in as excess baggage, it was 160 pounds. They pushed me to the front of the line at check in, I followed a chap who put my dog in his office.

I was even informed on the plane that my dog was loaded. By the time I had cleared customs at Edmonton International my dog was sitting waiting for me.

I did this move one year ago.

Hope this saves someone some money
I did the same with airtransat and have just booked my two dogs to fly to vancouver on the 17 June $250cd Bargain
Old May 13th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
I did the same with airtransat and have just booked my two dogs to fly to vancouver on the 17 June $250cd Bargain
I think it's easier with a small dog! Having trouble still with my Golden Retriever! Either we pay £1000 for her to fly Air Canada or we have to fly to Toronto, pay approx £500 and then drive all the way back to Halifax NS. Grrr!
Old May 13th 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Our dogs flew successfully with Air Transat to Toronto last Saturday (7th May), and are now happily swimming in Lake Nipissing, North Bay.
As planned, we did it DIY at a cost of £780 for two large labradors. It would have cost a lot more with a pet transport agency.
I delivered them to Gatwick cargo (easy to find) four hours before the flight. They didn't want them so early, so told me to take them away and give them a walk, but I left their documentation behind for them to check and go through.
I took:
1. pet passports, filled in by the vet the previous day (which comprised information re breed/ identification, date (year) of birth, rabies vaccination, and microchip number.
2. fitness to fly certificate, filled in by the vet the previous day, detailing the fact that in the vet's opinion they were fit and able to fly, and listing their vaccination history
and 3. a form provided by DEFRA to state that they had lived their whole lives in the UK, and had never been exposed to rabies (and that the UK is rabies free).
I took them back an hour and a half before the flight, walked and contented, and was asked to put them in their crates so the staff could check the crates were the right size.
They had to have their collars removed (and they do not travel with the dogs, so make sure to have a new collar ready at the other end).
The airport staff took them away, and they were loaded onto the plane.
My husband picked them up two hours after the flight landed, and they were a bit fed up with being in the crates, and a bit stressed (he heard them howling in the warehouse before he picked them up), but settled down well as soon as he put them in the car.
They are now fine and happy in Canada.
Don't waste your money on pet transport companies - it is simple and straightforward to do it yourself. If you give your vet some warning, they can organise DEFRA letters/ passports etc (whatever you need) ready for your appointment.
Old May 14th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Took our 2 spaniels Air Canada as excess baggage. UK109 each and $36 insoection fee on landing.

Dog & Crate must be less than 32kg

Was a doddle.

If you follow ALL the guidelines for the Pet Passport Scheme thats all you need to do, you never know how things turn out and might have to for some reason bring the dogs back to UK with you.

I know your going UK - Canada however I believe regardless of which direction anyone is going one of the most important things is the blood work. UK to get them back in & Canada as it is a known Rabbies country.
The rabbies jab alone is not sufficient to bring dogs back to UK. The blood test MUST be done to prove that the vaccine has taken in the dog. The dog CAN NOT return to the UK until 6 months have passed from the date of a positive blood test, therefore I would suggest this is all done ASAP then just keep on top of the jab dates, if you miss by 1 day the whole proccess has to start again. Without positive blood tests the animal must either stay with friends etc in Canada until the 6 months has elapsed or go down the old quaratine route in the UK for 6 months.

This is also very important in my opinion for living in Canada, if you dont have the blood work done you will never know if your animal is protected. In most cases the vaccine takes but in some it does not and leaves the animal vunerable.

Therefore as mentioned if you just follow the Pet Passport system all is covered for travel outward and return if needed and you have peace of mind the animal is protected.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; May 14th 2011 at 12:41 pm.
Old May 14th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lcar
Our dogs flew successfully with Air Transat to Toronto last Saturday (7th May), and are now happily swimming in Lake Nipissing, North Bay.
As planned, we did it DIY at a cost of £780 for two large labradors. It would have cost a lot more with a pet transport agency.
I delivered them to Gatwick cargo (easy to find) four hours before the flight. They didn't want them so early, so told me to take them away and give them a walk, but I left their documentation behind for them to check and go through.
I took:
1. pet passports, filled in by the vet the previous day (which comprised information re breed/ identification, date (year) of birth, rabies vaccination, and microchip number.
2. fitness to fly certificate, filled in by the vet the previous day, detailing the fact that in the vet's opinion they were fit and able to fly, and listing their vaccination history
and 3. a form provided by DEFRA to state that they had lived their whole lives in the UK, and had never been exposed to rabies (and that the UK is rabies free).
I took them back an hour and a half before the flight, walked and contented, and was asked to put them in their crates so the staff could check the crates were the right size.
They had to have their collars removed (and they do not travel with the dogs, so make sure to have a new collar ready at the other end).
The airport staff took them away, and they were loaded onto the plane.
My husband picked them up two hours after the flight landed, and they were a bit fed up with being in the crates, and a bit stressed (he heard them howling in the warehouse before he picked them up), but settled down well as soon as he put them in the car.
They are now fine and happy in Canada.
Don't waste your money on pet transport companies - it is simple and straightforward to do it yourself. If you give your vet some warning, they can organise DEFRA letters/ passports etc (whatever you need) ready for your appointment.
Where do you get the "fit to fly" certificate? I can't find one online and the vet doesn't seem to know!
You only need a letter from defra IF you don't innoculate the dog against rabies I believe.
It's just confusing when the vet doesn't appear to have a clue!!!!
Old May 15th 2011, 12:29 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Where do you get the "fit to fly" certificate? I can't find one online and the vet doesn't seem to know!
You only need a letter from defra IF you don't innoculate the dog against rabies I believe.
They just have to write a letter on their letter head informing that the at the dogs have been checked within the last 24hrs and in their opinion they are fit to fly!
Old May 15th 2011, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

The vet we went to wasn't sure either. If you have a pet passport there's a certain page that they fill out (and possably stamp it).
Old May 16th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

The fitness to fly certificate seemed to be generated by the vets - it was on their headed paper.
I'll try to attach a copy below, for your vets' information.
The Defra letter gives details of the rabies vaccination, so I don't think your information is correct that it is only needed if not rabies vaccinated. It gives details of home address, destination address, breed, age, colour, microchip number and vaccination date, name of vaccine and supplier, batch number and expiry date, plus vets details.
I suggest your vet calls defra for advice if they are unsure.
Attached Thumbnails Moving my dog from England to Canada-cara-fit-fly-certificate.jpg  
Old May 16th 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

My dogs have been back and forward twice now. The fitness to fly is for the airline they will ask you for it on check in. Mine is normally written by my vets about two lines long just saying they have checked which ever dog and in there opinion they are disease free and fit and healthy to fly. Last time when we landed I showed them my pet passport they didnt have a clue what it was as they do not participate in the pet passport scheme and it is only valid when returning to the UK or Europe. The one thing I would say is get your titer tests done in the UK and make sure your passport is stamped by an authorized vet. My vet made a mistake on mine and I had to have them redone. All bloods taken in Canada have to be sent to Kansas State veterinary university (USA) it is the only place the DEFRA will recognise as being valid it cost us an absolute fortune for two dogs and a six month wait.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:23 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ours went to the states for testing - took bout F weeks n cost 400 bux for 2 dogs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.