Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving my British business to Toronto?

Moving my British business to Toronto?

Old May 1st 2012, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

craigd2306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving my British business to Toronto?

Hi all,

Me and my partner run a digital agency in the UK, and have been for the last couple of years. We do web design, PPC, social media marketing etc.

Over the last year it has been a real struggle and more and more small businesses unable to pay, going out of business and the like.

We were wondering what the legality would be of moving to Toronto to focus the business there while still working on the remaining UK projects remotely? Everything I have read says the Canadian economy is strong and while I am well aware it certainly wouldn't be easy, I feel there may be greater opportunities over there for the company to succeed and grow. Certainly in the interim.

Do we open a Canadian "branch"? Do we incorporated and a Ltd company? a sole trader (or similar)?

Just really looking for advice on how best to do it, and the leagility of it all so I can make a proper assessment on it.

Any advice or info would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

C

p.s Just got accepted on the IEC program so would initially be going out on that, extending it to 2 years and taking it from there.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my British business to Toronto?

Read over this link for a quick overview

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp
Old May 1st 2012, 3:06 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigd2306
Over the last year it has been a real struggle and more and more small businesses unable to pay, going out of business and the like.
Do you have evidence it'll be any different here? I'm in a similar line of work (client side), and have seen various suppliers/contractors on the west coast and in Toronto struggle over the past 5 years or so.

Originally Posted by craigd2306
I feel there may be greater opportunities over there for the company to succeed and grow. Certainly in the interim.
You might want something more substantial than 'feelings' to launch a business on.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

craigd2306 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Do you have evidence it'll be any different here? I'm in a similar line of work (client side), and have seen various suppliers/contractors on the west coast and in Toronto struggle over the past 5 years or so.

You might want something more substantial than 'feelings' to launch a business on.
I agree....so I've come to an expat forum to ask a little advice in the hope someone has similar experience. It's only very early stages so just asking about.