Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Montreal- Tips for living, Bank Accounts etc.

Moving to Montreal- Tips for living, Bank Accounts etc.

Old Aug 19th 2019, 11:03 am
Just Joined

lydia1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Montreal- Tips for living, Bank Accounts etc.

Hi All,
I've just been offered a job in Montreal! I'm from the UK but have dual nationality, so visa's and everything are fine. Just looking for some general living tips:

Living- Any recommendations for a nice but also fun and affordable neighbourhood (i'm in my late 20s). My company will be based in the Old Town by the looks of things. Also how fast is the renting turn-over, would I be able to find a room within a few days of arriving in the city (as is the case in London, UK)?
Travel- Will I need to invest in a car?
Bank- Any bank recommendations, and how easy is it to set up bank accounts, what do I need?
Work- My company says I get 10 days holiday a year plus bank holidays, is it common for companies to give the christmas period off too, or is it really just christmas day?

Or any extra advice I might be forgetting!

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2019, 1:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Montreal- Tips for living, Bank Accounts etc.

Originally Posted by lydia1
Hi All,Living- Any recommendations for a nice but also fun and affordable neighbourhood (i'm in my late 20s). My company will be based in the Old Town by the looks of things. Also how fast is the renting turn-over, would I be able to find a room within a few days of arriving in the city (as is the case in London, UK)?
My understanding, from my 20-something-when-in-Montreal child is that Le Plateau was the most fun of the many places she lived. The area around the Olympic Stadium was the cheapest but that was Stalinist low-rise apartment blocks.

Oh, and 20-something people don't have cars. They use a zip car (or similar) when there's need to go out of town.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 19th 2019 at 1:14 pm.