Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Montreal - Seeking Shipping Help

Moving to Montreal - Seeking Shipping Help

Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:16 am
Just Joined

SeanNoonan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Montreal - Seeking Shipping Help

I'm emigrating from the UK to Canada next week.

I am flying out to Montreal this coming Wednesday (August 1st) and have a hotel to stay at for 1 month whilst looking for a more permanent place of residence.

My question, or rather the advice I seek is in regards to sending over several large boxes each containing the following:
  • Books (boxed)
  • Multiregion media including Games and Films (boxed)
  • A large (heavy) computer tower (not sure how to pack it - see question at the bottom of this post)
  • A UK games console (boxed and wrapped)

What would be my best bet for getting things over in one piece? Multiple packages through DHL or another courier? Can I be sure they will arrive by the time I get there - or at least afterwards?

Thanks, sorry for the first time/noob post, but appreciate I don't have long to get this sorted.

Side question - what's the best way to pack a PC for shipping without it being damaged and/or seized for any reason

Last edited by SeanNoonan; Jul 27th 2012 at 12:28 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Montreal - Seeking Shipping Help

Contact the cargo department of the airline you are flying with - the boxes can go on the same flight you do, though you will need to complete documents in advance, then drop off the boxes at the cargo department at least 4 hours before your flight. If you are flying Air Transat they are reasonably priced - my son's friend shipped 80kg in 3 boxes at a cost of £180 with them from Gatwick to Toronto.

My son used plenty of bubblewrap and then filled the double thickness box with polystyrene chips surrounding his pc tower on all 4 sides, lots of tape to secure the box and plenty of 'fragile' and 'this way up' stickers completed it. You might want to throw in some gel dri-packs too for any humidity problems.

Don't forget to write down the serial numbers on your 'goods' list for customs before you pack the electronic items.

HTH's.

Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, but I'm attempting to take a slightly more convenient route - going to buy a larger box and ship it all at once via DHL... I think it might be less hassle on the other end (I have connecting flights and what not).

Thanks anyway - I'm sure I'll be popping back here with various questions regarding the differences between the UK and Canada
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeanNoonan
Thanks for the advice, but I'm attempting to take a slightly more convenient route - going to buy a larger box and ship it all at once via DHL... I think it might be less hassle on the other end (I have connecting flights and what not).

Thanks anyway - I'm sure I'll be popping back here with various questions regarding the differences between the UK and Canada
There are no differences between the UK & Canada
Are you coming in as a PR (emigrating)? If so you need to supply CBSA with the list of goods to follow as per this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jul 27th 2012 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are no differences between the UK & Canada
Are you coming in as a PR (emigrating)? Is so you need to supply CBSA with the list of goods to follow as per this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html
Even though the box won't actually be with me? DHL will be delivering it after my arrival.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Weird - my last few replies didn't work (I guess I can't quote).

Surely I just tell DHL what I believe to be in my boxes and as they are sent upon my arrival they wouldn't be classed as personal effects?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Surely I just tell DHL what I believe to be in my boxes and as they are sent upon my arrival they wouldn't be classed as personal effects?
New posters with links go in the mod queue Im afraid, thats all. Keeps the spammers at bay
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But you should know whats in your boxes
Yes the box can be declared as personal effects and some include the packing list that describe the goods.
The courier reports the goods to CBSA and they decide if they need to examine the goods.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co.../menu-eng.html
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

That explains it - hopefully said posts get purged

In regards to listing my personal effects - how much detail would I need to go into. Surely stating 30 books, 25 pieces of disc based media, 2 wall posters, 1 winter coat, etc. would suffice?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That explains it - hopefully said posts get purged

In regards to listing my personal effects - how much detail would I need to go into. Surely stating 30 books, 25 pieces of disc based media, 2 wall posters, 1 winter coat, etc. would suffice?
Yes it will.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Not bad, so when would I need to show this list? I assume attached to the package and at some point when I land? When I go through immigration perhaps?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not bad, so when would I need to show this list? I assume attached to the package and at some point when I land? When I go through immigration perhaps?
Yes present the GTF list to CBSA when you do your landing.
As for dealing with DHL thats another matter.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:21 am
Just Joined

A wee update - managed to get everything packed in one DHL box up to the maximum weight they allow.
It'll cost sub £200 so that's not too bad.

I assume placing an itemised list in the box would be a good idea?

As for my next drama - finding a printer before 2PM that will let me print the packing slip. A word of advice to anyone thinking of moving somewhere... buy a printer!
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

TravelBunny101 is an unknown quantity at this point

A wee update - managed to get everything packed in one DHL box up to the maximum weight they allow.
It'll cost sub £200 so that's not too bad.

I assume placing an itemised list in the box would be a good idea?

As for my next drama - finding a printer before 2PM that will let me print the packing slip. A word of advice to anyone thinking of moving somewhere... buy a printer!

hello have you moved now? did you have to pay custom charges etc?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, so it never arrived - I've been checking the tracking site and just keep getting "Tuesday, August 21, 2012 Location Time
28 Clearance delay EASTERN QUEBEC AREA - CANADA 06:43"

...it's been that way for two weeks. I've apparently got to pay duty on it to get it cleared?

I just called DHL and they said I need to fill in a Power of Attorney form...

I guess I didn't fill in the right forms or anything getting into the country. I thought it was a little odd that I got in so easilly - I almost didn't pay for my work permit, I had to go back to the airport to pay for it because they forgot to charge me during processing. What a mess.

I just want my stuff back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.