Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Mississauga

Moving to Mississauga

Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mississauga

Originally Posted by dbd33
I work with people who have chosen to live in Mississauga NotQEW and who remain enthusiastic about their choice. Listening to their reasons it become apparent why it looks, to these eyes, so hellish. Firstly, it must be said that "it's not Brampton" is often mentioned, well, yes, and it's not Slough either.

Features valued are:

- maximum internal space, ideally supporting multiple generations of a family permanently or for visits of several months, optimally without the need to actually see the visitors.

- lack of need for outdoor implements such as a lawn mower or snow shovel. Preferably there should be no need to go outside at all once one drives into one's automatically opened garage door.

- minimal need for wives to learn English (for the sake of gender balance I should perhaps amend that to stay-at-home-spouses but mail order husbands are rarely mentioned). Obviously not leaving the building minimises the linguistic challenge of living abroad.

- access to the airport. If it takes over a day to fly home you don't want to complicate the trip.

In light of this, Mississauga's lack of topography and foliage becomes an advantage. Rectangular boxes built up to the lot line with only garage doors facing the street become efficient structures and save any need to pave the lawn at a later date. If you're going to have twenty odd people living in the house then, I suppose, it's so crowded anyway that it doesn't matter if there are more people who, glancing out of their windows in nearby houses, can count your armpit hairs while you shower. In context, it's logical for the second bathroom to be larger than the "garden".

Lest this seem racist against any particular group I should stress the ethnic diversity of Mississauga dwellers; living in a tangled heap of humanity is a popular style amongst almost everyone but us.
God that sounds like my idea of purgatory, nay hell itself