Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Maritimes from the Wild West.

Wikiposts

Moving to the Maritimes from the Wild West.

Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to the Maritimes from the Wild West.

My wife and I are just starting to research a possible move from the mid west to the Maritimes for various reasons.
What I am after is other peoples experiences who have made much the same move.
How do you find living out east, is it a world of difference to your life in the west?
Did you live in the city or in the middle of nowhere before you moved?
Why did you feel the need to move?
Did you move yourself or use a moving company. Prices please if you used a company?
Do you regret your move. If so why. If not why?
As I mentioned we are just starting to research this possibility so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Maritimes from the Wild West.

The Maritimes is quite a large area. (As is "The West" for that matter). Being more specific about areas is likely to provide more specifically useful feedback!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking into the St John NB area south through to St Stephen. A trip out there this summer should help to narrow our choice down.

Last edited by GC44; Mar 21st 2016 at 1:51 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from the wild west of Montreal. I don't suppose that counts.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Montreal, no we are slightly more west and it's definately a little wilder out here. I am interested though in your views on NB, good or bad.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
Montreal, no we are slightly more west and it's definately a little wilder out here. I am interested though in your views on NB, good or bad.
The 'province' is a little behind the times but I don't think the cities reflect that. I can only really speak for this small city (which I mostly like) but I hear and read of similar things for Saint John and Fredericton. All three cities seem to buck the general trend of the province. Syrian refugees seem to be made very welcome here with little of the "look after our own first" (but let's not really) attitude.

Housing is cheap and that does not mean there are no employment opps here although if you are the type who gets head hunted, then maybe it does mean they are more limited.

I have a feeling there's a BE member in Woodstock which is nearer to Saint Stephen.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:52 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not from 'the West' but my husband is.

I know Saint John reasonably well, it's a nice place, but always foggy, and a couple of degrees cooler in summer and warmer in winter than many parts. I find it hard to write 'City' as these places hardly have the population of a small town, and that is both good and bad. The Maritime provinces are taking an economic pasting presently, but historically they have always been somewhat at the bottom of the pecking order.

I like the fact that I 'know' lots of people - our mayor, out MLA's, and our movers and shakers, are all very much part of our small community. I don't like the fact that unless you are the cousin of someone, your concerns will probably be overlooked. The Maritimers are a generally pleasant bunch, they are kind and helpful, but they can just be a bit apathetic and stubborn at times which can prove irritating, they have a reluctance to change, and they know it and makes jokes about themselves for it.

Food can be great here, but you have to cook it yourself. An upmarket restaurant here, in Fredericton anyway, serves the food of a downmarket gastro pub in Europe, or some of the bigger cities in 'the West'. The deep fat fryer is a beloved and much used tool here, and we have the highest problem with obesity than any other province in Canada. There are good farmers markets all over the place, when it gets warmer.

The winter has been super this year, so I can't complain, although we did have a 20cm dump of snow yesterday. Generally, I can't hack the climate. Last winter it snowed so much, It nearly drove me nuts....along with all the rest of the East Coast inhabitants! So much winter takes a toll, physically and mentally.

The other seasons are pleasurable though, there are lots of things going on at all ends of the spectrum, we have rib fests, and wine tastings, whiskey whatever's, the Marathon, we run for anything and everything...it's just the same group of people, that do lots of activities.

Very best of luck
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 1:06 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
I find it hard to write 'City' as these places hardly have the population of a small town, and that is both good and bad. ...

When I first came here I, too, had difficulty thinking City.

I kept thinking 'Thornbury' with the Main St 'downtown' as a (slightly bigger) High St and low rise housing spreading outwards.

But then the population is 10 times Thornbury. And then Bath is unquestionably a city and the population there is smaller. (little people ) so now I can say City without smirking or doing the air quote thing.

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for this folks, always good to get someone else's opinion.
Quick question, do you find the locals there "worldly wise"?. Strange question I know but it would seem to me that the majority of locals we know and workmates have a very blinkered view of world affairs. For example they know that Canada are receiving lots of refugees from Syria but they are at a loss as to why. They can however tell you everything that happens and indeed has ever happened within a 10 mile radius of their town.
I know we as guests in there country should accept it but personally I find it strangely annoying.
Maybe it's a Canada wide phenomenon!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As a massive generalization, I think you'll find that's a Canada-wide phenomenon.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:10 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
As a massive generalization, I think you'll find that's a Canada-wide phenomenon.
It also happened in Norfolk.... It was like stepping back in time- no doubt, it still does
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
It also happened in Norfolk.... It was like stepping back in time- no doubt, it still does
"Looking for an all-inclusive family holiday, visit Norfolk, where the fun and games begin."
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:25 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Yes it is is a massive generalization....but it's also regrettably very true. Parochial is best and by far preferred here...generally of course
Old Mar 24th 2016, 12:59 am
Oscar nominated

Yes it is is a massive generalization....but it's also regrettably very true. Parochial is best and by far preferred here...generally of course
I've always said that generalisations are generally true, generally speaking.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I'm not from 'the West' but my husband is.

I know Saint John reasonably well, it's a nice place, but always foggy, and a couple of degrees cooler in summer and warmer in winter than many parts. I find it hard to write 'City' as these places hardly have the population of a small town, and that is both good and bad. The Maritime provinces are taking an economic pasting presently, but historically they have always been somewhat at the bottom of the pecking order.

I like the fact that I 'know' lots of people - our mayor, out MLA's, and our movers and shakers, are all very much part of our small community. I don't like the fact that unless you are the cousin of someone, your concerns will probably be overlooked. The Maritimers are a generally pleasant bunch, they are kind and helpful, but they can just be a bit apathetic and stubborn at times which can prove irritating, they have a reluctance to change, and they know it and makes jokes about themselves for it.

Food can be great here, but you have to cook it yourself. An upmarket restaurant here, in Fredericton anyway, serves the food of a downmarket gastro pub in Europe, or some of the bigger cities in 'the West'. The deep fat fryer is a beloved and much used tool here, and we have the highest problem with obesity than any other province in Canada. There are good farmers markets all over the place, when it gets warmer.

The winter has been super this year, so I can't complain, although we did have a 20cm dump of snow yesterday. Generally, I can't hack the climate. Last winter it snowed so much, It nearly drove me nuts....along with all the rest of the East Coast inhabitants! So much winter takes a toll, physically and mentally.

The other seasons are pleasurable though, there are lots of things going on at all ends of the spectrum, we have rib fests, and wine tastings, whiskey whatever's, the Marathon, we run for anything and everything...it's just the same group of people, that do lots of activities.

Very best of luck
This in spades. I feel like I have lived here for 4 years too long (6th year this year). The only things really keeping me here is that I am lucky enough to have a well paid job and that my GFs family is here and we are trying to start a family.

When (not if) I leave NB I cant think of a single thing that I would miss. The sad thing is what you touched upon with the people and their attitude is that they are their own worst enemy. I am convinced that at least half this province would fail an IQ test.

The provincial logo is "Be in this place". Irony truley is lost on them. I have been working on a new logo for the province.....So far: New Brunswick Muppetry in Motion is leading the way

Would that restaurant in Fredericton be Brewbakers? I thought it was a joke to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.