Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Maple Ridge BC

Moving to Maple Ridge BC

Old Feb 17th 2015, 1:48 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Maple Ridge BC

good links Withabix. That backs up what my coworker said. I think he's in Albion?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Fairy Tail is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the information, very helpful!Will continue researching!
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

I'm very worried about the school system. Overcrowded and no plans in the near future for new schools!It doesn't sound good!
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

what about safety?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I live in Maple Ridge and love it! Number 5 in the top investment cities in Canada and predicted to be "the place to live for lifestyle". A prime location for those wanting access to the amenities of Vancouver, with easy access to the mountains, lakes, trails and parks.
Schools, my friends with school aged kids have no complaints. There is land allocated for schools but my understanding is that whilst there are still places available they will not start to build new ones, so some kids have to travel, but MR is not that big!
Transport, buses to Coquitlam and Braid every 15 minutes, West Coast Express, drive to Vancouver in 40 minutes (except for rush hour).
Safety, it has it's fair share of petty crime as every place does, but I personally have never felt unsafe. The downtown area has some sketchy people hanging about but they have never caused me any problems.
Wildlife can be a bit of a problem depending where you live. Lots of bears, coyotes, bobcats and 2 weeks ago we had a cougar in our cul-de-sac! Just need to be aware.
Cinemas, supermarkets, restaurants, but for other shopping you need to go out of Maple Ridge.
Everyone I know has found a family doctor here.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 1:50 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairy Tail
I'm very worried about the school system. Overcrowded and no plans in the near future for new schools!It doesn't sound good!
Maybe just look at areas that already have schools?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the info!Glad I heard from a MR resident!
One couple that we know lives in MR and say the same thing as you abut shopping and restaurants.I guess in case we decide to move there I just need to get used to it driving almost everywhere, but that's not to bad.
We looked at some houses already and they are gorgeous and the price very affordable.
We're used to wild life, we live in North Van now so racoons, coyotes and bears pretty much seen!
Old Feb 17th 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Maybe just look at areas that already have schools?
As I said we can only afford a big house in that area.But we have another year to make a decision so will see what will happen.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fairy Tail
As I said we can only afford a big house in that area.But we have another year to make a decision so will see what will happen.
Sorry - I meant areas in MR
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I live in East Maple Ridge, near the Mission border.
For us, its an ideal place to live. I work in Coquitlam and the rush hour only takes me about 45 minutes, although its closer to an hour on the reverse trip on the way home.

The good thing about being on that side, is that you can go to Mission/Abbotsford for shopping or into Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows. There is also good access to lots of places to go and things to do for the kids (if you have any).

Disadvantages are that you will need to drive everywhere, as said before it can be a 20 minute drive for milk, but it was the same where I lived in the UK lol

There does seem to be a large number of former grow ops out this way, I suppose that's a drawback of being large and secluded, I was also at an open house recently that was a former grow op (Wasn't Blue Mountain you were at by any chance was it Withabix?). Personally I love the area and while I'm renting at present, when I get my PR in place, I will be staying and buying in North/West Maple Ridge or possibly East Mission.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
Wasn't Blue Mountain you were at by any chance was it Withabix?.
LOL - I can imagine there are 'a few' grow-ops up there, but this one was around 240St/112Ave in a 7 year-old property! 3-storey of course...

The other undeclared surprise last weekend was a 2005 house on Rock Ridge Drive that had evidently had a bad fire in 2008 (another grow-op??), as it had a Permit for a $160,000 refurbishment in 2008 and sure enough, 2008 Bing aerial photos show a house with no roof....
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

We looked at WynnRidge and loved it.It's between 230th and 240th street.The layout amazing and good quality!
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

238th and 240th street
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

....and that would only be a 5 minute drive for milk ;-)