Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Old May 18th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Originally Posted by Shard
I keep hearing the term 'self harm' in media everywhere, and tbh, am not entirely sure what it entails. Is it one thing (like cuts) or is it a range of behaviours. Sorry to raise the point directly, but in the context of teenagers I am not quite sure what is meant?

It's very troubling when any child/teen anywhere feels they need to act in this way.
I believe that, officially, it covers a range of behaviors but it is most commonly associated with cutting oneself.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuneSpring
Someone obviously feels the need to be the defender of Canada. Oh please. Don't invalidate her experiences, and judging by the dominance of the themes mentioned here, this is not an isolated event and the standards here may be lacking.
I am not being the defender of Canada, I am merely arguing against the tripe that was being spouted (by more than one person). Canada has its problems, just like everywhere else does - including the UK.

Last edited by colchar; May 18th 2015 at 10:39 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
While we do not have the gutter press that exists in Britain, we do have tabloids as well.
I do miss the proper page 3. The Toronto Sun's effort over the years was very half hearted.

The media censorship in Canada adds to the dumbing down of the youth.

Innocence is fine but it's the ignorance of the real world that makes the cradle a difficult conversationist. Especially when they'll happily contribute to any conversation despite having grown up in a bubble.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
the thing is colchar in Piff's part of Canada this IS an issue. Stop trying to minimise her experiences by comparing the whole of Canada to the whole of the UK.

So two kids cutting themselves means this is an issue in her part of Canada? Sweet Jebus, it is an issue everywhere. But the two kids she knows about, one personally and one anecdotally, are not sufficient evidence upon which to make the kind of statements she did.

No one is saying the UK is better. All people are saying is Canada ain't no utopia for parents of teenagers, which is TRUE.
I know it is true and I have acknowledged that. What I am arguing against is the picture she painted because it is not accurate and is based, in part, on anecdotal evidence which is no evidence at all.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

I am not being the defender of Canada, I am merely arguing against the tripe that was being spouted. Canada has its problems, just like everywhere else does - including the UK.
People sharing their experiences is hardly "tripe" is it now.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuneSpring
People sharing their experiences is hardly "tripe" is it now.
Especially when the the thread title is what are your "experiences".
Old May 18th 2015, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

Innocence is fine but it's the ignorance of the real world that makes the cradle a difficult conversationist. Especially when they'll happily contribute to any conversation despite having grown up in a bubble.
This is what I see too - it's a very insular and "polite" country.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do miss the proper page 3. The Toronto Sun's effort over the years was very half hearted.

Isn't it gone in Britain too?

Which censorship is that?

And do you not think that newspapers like the Daily Mail, among others, lead to the dumbing down of British youth? Do you not think that media outlets like Fox News lead to the dumbing down of American youth?

Not all kids who grew up here did so in a bubble. Many of us have lived elsewhere (UK for me), are street smart, and have common sense. And I don't think what you are describing is a Canadian issue, I think it is a generational issue that stems from helicopter parenting, etc. You hear a lot about it in the US media so it is hardly a Canadian phenomenon. I expect that if one of us were to do a search we would find this issue mentioned in the British press as well. But I'll leave that search up to you at the moment because it is 6:30pm and I've got a BBQ to fire up.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Especially when the the thread title is what are your "experiences".
Yep.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

anecdotal evidence which is no evidence at all.
False.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Isn't it gone in Britain too?
I don't see the relevance.

The thread asks about your experiences of moving for the children to Canada.

To simply push everything back to Britain is very strange.

However Britain is at the centre of the information age. A technology hub where people are exposed to the broadest, most cutting edge and hard hitting media in the world. There is a greater awareness of ones place in the big wide world.

Thankfully through a technology known as the World Wide Web I am able to frequent proper news websites. I barely check that of a Canadian newsroom.

Last edited by JamesM; May 18th 2015 at 10:51 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide rates

International Suicide Statistics - Suicide.org!
Canada comes in at No 40 while the UK lags behind at number 62.

Thats for all ages though so I will have a search for more specfic info

Colchar, how are you getting along with finding up to date comparable stats for drunk driving?
Old May 18th 2015, 11:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go
Suicide - MYD Youth Statistics

Canada suicide rate for young males aged 15-24 = 17.5 per 100,000
UK suicide rate for young males aged 15-24 = 8.0 per 100,000

females
Canada 5.2
UK 2.3
Old May 18th 2015, 11:18 pm
limey party pooper

More googling. This is fascinating and very sad

" Alberta typically has a higher rate of suicide than the national average. The following chart shows the rate of suicides per 100,000 population for Alberta compared to the national rate"

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...da-alberta.pdf

self harm on the rise in Canada
Self-harm behind 1 in 4 youth injury hospitalizations - Health - CBC News
Old May 18th 2015, 11:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Relevant article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.