Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Might be a stupid question and I think I probably know the answer to this, Premiums - Province of British Columbia - so my wife does not work, so has zero income, so do we have to apply as a family unit, or can she apply as her with my 12 year old and I apply just as myself, this would be 'much' cheaper. I'm sure they're wise to this though?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Might be a stupid question and I think I probably know the answer to this, Premiums - Province of British Columbia - so my wife does not work, so has zero income, so do we have to apply as a family unit, or can she apply as her with my 12 year old and I apply just as myself, this would be 'much' cheaper. I'm sure they're wise to this though?
what I see is from the top of the page in that link ....based on 'family income' Maybe others can comment

In B.C., premiums are payable for MSP coverage and are based on family size and income.

Monthly Premium Rates
Effective January 1, 2015
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you move into another home and live separately that would work! Otherwise, as with all govt. programs, it is family income not individual. MSP also check with CRA when premium assistance is applied for. So your tax returns will also be a give away.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you move into another home and live separately that would work! Otherwise, as with all govt. programs, it is family income not individual. MSP also check with CRA when premium assistance is applied for. So your tax returns will also be a give away.
I thought that would be the case, no worries though, what we lose with this we gain on just how cheap things you buy (including petrol) is and how much longer things like fruit and veg lasts, it's already 3 days old by the time we get it from a ship in NL!
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

One more question, if I might?

With the fires over that way, how is house insurance against fires etc...?

We just spent 2 weeks in BC/Alberta and the North of America, chasing forest fires and being constantly rerouted, I know this might be an issue, do insurers insure against fire?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:16 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We just spent 2 weeks in BC/Alberta and the North of America, chasing forest fires and being constantly rerouted, I know this might be an issue, do insurers insure against fire?
I'm not aware of any loaded premiums - you will be covered for all risks with the appropriate policy including coverage for fire.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The real kicker is contents. Insurers charge based on property value, however if you have a total loss, as some OK residents did some years back, they don't just pay out what you are insured for, you have to somehow prove how much you lost and that is what they pay. Don't be underinsured either. If they figure you under insured by say 30%, any payout is reduced by 30% even if it falls within the limits of the sums insured.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great answers, thank you.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

We've been in Kelowna now for two years and we'd certainly recommend it. It's a great place to experience the four seasons and the quality of life is excellent.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
We've been in Kelowna now for two years and we'd certainly recommend it. It's a great place to experience the four seasons and the quality of life is excellent.
We 'really' enjoyed our recce there the last couple of weeks, it has everything we need, loads of shops, nice weather, choice of places to go visit etc... we will be bringing our child (who will be 13 when we move), so the next thing on my list is schools.

PS. regarding Winter, do we need to bring our snow blower? Bear in mind, I usually just dig any snowfall we get here in NL is it's around a foot deep.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 1:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

PS. regarding Winter, do we need to bring our snow blower? Bear in mind, I usually just dig any snowfall we get here in NL is it's around a foot deep.
A shovel looks more than enough from the climate details I looked at.

Mind you, one of the things I read says it gets 15" of precipitation, a fifth of that falling as snow.

In my maths that's 3 inches so I was thinking kitchen utensils.

But it seems that was bad intel and it's a bit more. A mere 105cm/43" annually. Much nicer than our 'normal' 280 plus.

Mind you, you never know what to believe. Once it became clear we were really being dumped on last winter, there was a lot of media coverage about getting close to the record for a winter and they kept changing what the record was.

One day you'd read we were 40cm short, there'd be two more storms of 22cm each and we'd still be short by 30.

The last I read suggested somewhere around 420cm because I remember thinking it was 50% more than the usual.

Anyway, I'm now reading we got over 500cm.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I also read there is not much snow and that if it does fall, it's gone very quickly of its own accord. Well....that's one less thing to bring with us!
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are not quite understanding Okanagan winters! Last winter was quite different from others. It was generally mild, short, but we did have some snow, most of which fell over 48 hours in January. This winter may be the same due to El Niño.
Normally, it averages about -10, but we can have spells, maybe a week of - 20. Most years, there is snow on the ground from around late November, early December to end of March. Nothing grows, so no veg growing in winter. My gardener OH won't touch the garden over winter, no point.
The snow is usually incredibly light, you can blow it yourself, but most people use a shovel or snow blower! It doesn't just disappear usually as on the Lower Mainland or the UK. Paths in provincial parks will be packed ice and hard to walk on till March/ April. I can see we have a lot less snow than the East , but much, much more than the LM.
Most older people with the financial ability LEAVE the area for the winter as snow birds, the extreme south of the Okanagan tries to attract snowbirds but I can't imagine they are that successful with local residents. They prefer Arizona, California and Mexico.
One last thing to be aware of, some people find winters difficult as the valley can hold on to cloud for days sometimes, it's never bothered me, I think we get more sun than people say, but it's easy to get above it by going to the ski resorts, even if only for a walk. A lot of locals do try to get a sun winter break in, to break the perceived cabin fever though.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 3:48 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A shovel looks more than enough from the climate details I looked at.

Mind you, one of the things I read says it gets 15" of precipitation, a fifth of that falling as snow.

In my maths that's 3 inches so I was thinking kitchen utensils.

But it seems that was bad intel and it's a bit more. A mere 105cm/43" annually. Much nicer than our 'normal' 280 plus.

Mind you, you never know what to believe. Once it became clear we were really being dumped on last winter, there was a lot of media coverage about getting close to the record for a winter and they kept changing what the record was.

One day you'd read we were 40cm short, there'd be two more storms of 22cm each and we'd still be short by 30.

The last I read suggested somewhere around 420cm because I remember thinking it was 50% more than the usual.

Anyway, I'm now reading we got over 500cm.
Kelowna average annual total precipitation 386.9 mm (1981 - 2010) Average total rainfall 311.3 mm (1981 - 2010) Average total snowfall 89 cm (1981 - 2010)

Moncton average annual total precipitation 1124.0 mm (1981 - 2010) Average total rainfall 842.0 mm (1981 - 2010) Average total snowfall 282 cm (1981 - 2010)

Total snowfall for Moncton last winter (November 2014 - April 2015) 506.6 cm

Source for the above Environment Canada.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Normally, it averages about -10, but we can have spells, maybe a week of - 20...
The snow is usually incredibly light, you can blow it yourself, but most people use a shovel or snow blower!...
Most older people with the financial ability LEAVE the area for the winter as snow birds
This might be one of those things 'relative' though.
Leaving many parts of Canada (guaranteed regular heavy snowfalls and extended periods of -30s) for BC might make one seem as much of a snowbird as one getting away from Kelowna and heading for Arizona.

I suppose there may be those in the South of France who consider themselves snowbirds by escaping the frigid wastelands that The Côte d'Azur becomes in January for somewhere warmer.

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Source for the above Environment Canada.
Yep, found those.

Trouble is the figures in the paper come from the same source and they don't always match. I think part of that is the focus. Some days they might compare to the same date in 1953 and then tomorrow's date with 1971. I find all that meaningless.

Or they might focus on snow falling in a particular month as if snowfall the 1st to 31st of March is somehow more significant than a greater amount from, say, 25th of February to the 10th March when surely far more snow in a shorter period is more remarkable.

Reading the paper last winter with all those updates and the record seemingly being pushed on all the time made me think of Catch 22.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.