Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
You could look at this one

New Townhomes For Sale | Lower Mission Kelowna | Brighton

Its based in the Lower Mission area
Wow i just looked it says one three bed home left for move in 2015 at $448,000
That's a lot of dollars for limited parking, limited outdoor space and very close to your neighbours, and i guess it comes with strata fees and all those strata regulations to boot.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Tamron will be resting on car door frame if what I have mind works out.
I'm good, well less good.
Visit with cardiologist earlier this year he stated this time it's life altering not life threatening. We'll see what the plan is after the upcoming angio, I think they want to see if they can work through the 100% blockage to my circumflex. That would be a very good thing if successful.

Tried to give you karma for the Oink comment earler but it said I must spead it around before I can give you more. Sounds like a disease when they put it that way.

Ah cheers, that's a nice thought- Oink probably worried that his cover has been blown! God, if Karma was the main disease that I was having to deal with on a day to day basis I would be like a pig in muck ( not Oink tho)- sadly haemorrhoids, headaches and " why am I not losing weight Dr , is it my thyroid" is the usual way it goes! As I say I would sort your circumflex artery out- I could borrow a dremmel from a friend

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 10th 2015 at 3:23 am. Reason: The dog can't spell
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Wow i just looked it says one three bed home left for move in 2015 at $448,000
That's a lot of dollars for limited parking, limited outdoor space and very close to your neighbours, and i guess it comes with strata fees and all those strata regulations to boot.
Seems just as bad as here. Some new townhomes they are building started in the 338,000 range, not sure what the high end range is, sign just says starting at 338,000.

Not sure I'd buy a town house though here, they don't seem to go up in value like single family homes do, you can get early 90's builds for 160,000, so in 30 years will these 338,000 ones be worth anything?

The lack of yard and strata fees are a turn off as well.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:31 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

As I say I would sort your circumflex artery out- I could borrow a dremmel from a friend
I'll keep that offer in mind if they decide not to go ahead.with said procedue.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Seems just as bad as here. Some new townhomes they are building started in the 338,000 range, not sure what the high end range is, sign just says starting at 338,000.

Not sure I'd buy a town house though here, they don't seem to go up in value like single family homes do, you can get early 90's builds for 160,000, so in 30 years will these 338,000 ones be worth anything?

The lack of yard and strata fees are a turn off as well.
Yep it seems crazy that they build these places and call them town homes then you realize they are priced the same as a single family home but with the limitation on space like a condo. We did some work at one recently and we had to ask the neighbour if we could park our truck blocking his garage as there were no driveways and the road between the units was so narrow it would have been a big problem if the garbage truck needed to get past.

Plenty of choice in the $450,000 range for single family dwellings and most of these are probably overpriced, and lets face it over sized, how many 4 person families need 3000 sqft? Really?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There's a long way to go yet.

There's a whole range of places from Kingston to London with around two-thirds of our snow and several places around Toronto and round the bend to Hamilton with about half.

That sort of reduction may well be enough of a hook.
I'm hooked.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

To the locals in or close to Kelowna, if 'you' were moving to Kelowna, where would you move to in the area? We have a 13 year old, so we need access to appropriate schools etc...
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer

Plenty of choice in the $450,000 range for single family dwellings and most of these are probably overpriced, and lets face it over sized, how many 4 person families need 3000 sqft? Really?
only Brit expats is my guess, when most would [you'd think] be perfectly OK with 1000sq'ft or less

And $450,000 for a property in the middle of nowhere is nuts
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I wasn't dissing Penticton Jossie, Snoopdawg loved it when we landed- I just felt it to much like the Med. I absolutely get your love of the place. OP has clearly been hooked( as it seems has BristolUK!) by Kelowna and so is I believe centring his house search there.
I agree, everyone has a preference with absolutely valid reasons with each place having it's own set of merits. I personally prefer North of both of you with easy access to Kelowna airport on the North side of town in case we fancy a trip further afield. Nothing beats Kalamalka lake IMO !
Certainly looked and felt a little like the Med today. We took this today when we went for lunch at Skaha lake.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.-skaha.jpg  
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, duh.

Come on, if the subject is living without a car in relation to a place where properties to live have a good walk score based on what you can walk to, why would you pick somewhere out of town to illustrate how little there was within walking distance and then somewhere even more out of town?
Well not duh, because you clearly still haven't looked at the map - they're not really out of town, they're pretty major residential areas, that was my point!

These are where a lot of the new houses are being built and before someone chips in that they'll build retail nearby, no they aren't. Mission is within the city of Kelowna, it is not "out of town".

So of course you can live slap bang on Hwy 97 and be within walking distance - my point was that most people don't and the new stuff is nowhere near.

Anyway you need a car... yawn.

And as for it being isolated, well yes other towns in Canada are isolated I agree, e.g. Calgary. Guess what, I have a car.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 11:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway... The Amazing Race Canada - Watch The Amazing Race Canada Online | CTV.ca

Didn't seem to spend much time in Penticton.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well not duh, because you clearly still haven't looked at the map - they're not really out of town, they're pretty major residential areas, that was my point!
It seems you have a different definition to out of town.

In town is generally reckoned to be the centre of things. Out of town is generally reckoned to be out of the centre of things; on the outskirts as it were.

If the target is a residential area with the convenience of everything in the vicinity, on the outskirts is not really the place to look.

If one drives, by all means look at the outer edges. If one doesn't, then don't. It's not rocket surgery.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you have a different definition to out of town.

In town is generally reckoned to be the centre of things. Out of town is generally reckoned to be out of the centre of things; on the outskirts as it were.

If the target is a residential area with the convenience of everything in the vicinity, on the outskirts is not really the place to look.

If one drives, by all means look at the outer edges. If one doesn't, then don't. It's not rocket surgery.

Now there is a branch of surgery I need to get into! Although it sounds a bit dangerous!
Sorry Bristol... It was too tempting
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
To the locals in or close to Kelowna, if 'you' were moving to Kelowna, where would you move to in the area? We have a 13 year old, so we need access to appropriate schools etc...
Back on topic ^^^^ this!
Old Sep 11th 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay - just had a good chat with a Realtor with experience of First Nations Indian leasehold land.

Erm....we won't be touching that at all and in fact, he said there are 'very' few lenders that will even entertain working with you for these properties.

That's why they are so cheap.

Last edited by the_tones_guy; Sep 11th 2015 at 6:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.