Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kelowna BC

Moving to Kelowna BC

Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:25 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kelowna BC

Originally Posted by Crystal Tips
An acquaintance in Dubai recommended Kettle Valley as the most perfect place to live. After having a good look and doing my homework, it is most definitely not the place for us. (It reminded me of the Stepford Wives film set), though I'm sure it suits lots of other families.
No problem, always happy to help. I'll get slated (again) over this but I just find KV boring, plastic, and Stepford-ish. Plus there is what whole one-road in/out aspect, small yards, rooftop views, Truman Show-esque bizarre snobbery aspect to it. It's kinda like a place that's not a real reflection of everyday life, you know.

And it's teeming with Brits (soccer club stickers in car windows etc) which is OK if you like that sort of thing but who really wants to move to Little Britain ? Dilworth will have a few, but not on the scale of KV/UM. You're probably more likely to meet a mix of out-of-town migrants, Swiss, Germans, Italians etc.

Sometimes it's nice not to go where the flock of sheep is going and veer leftfield a little.

R.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:02 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
No problem, always happy to help. I'll get slated (again) over this but I just find KV boring, plastic, and Stepford-ish. Plus there is what whole one-road in/out aspect, small yards, rooftop views, Truman Show-esque bizarre snobbery aspect to it. It's kinda like a place that's not a real reflection of everyday life, you know.

And it's teeming with Brits (soccer club stickers in car windows etc) which is OK if you like that sort of thing but who really wants to move to Little Britain ? Dilworth will have a few, but not on the scale of KV/UM. You're probably more likely to meet a mix of out-of-town migrants, Swiss, Germans, Italians etc.

Sometimes it's nice not to go where the flock of sheep is going and veer leftfield a little.

R.
We have a house on Quail Ridge. This is two minutes from Kelowna airport (which you say would be good to be near). The houses are lovely up there - on a golf course - and we have found lovely neighbours too. There are a few Brits living there but they seem to be behaving themselves!!!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

chigirl will become famous soon enoughchigirl will become famous soon enough

hi

i saw in your earlier post that you are thinking of renting in the kelowna area. i thought this website might be of use to you for looking at costs etc...

www.rentbc.com

hope this helps
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Pacman2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We (myself, wife and 2 youngsters) live in Dilworth. Rich007's description is pretty accurate and we love it here. It's just a short drive from most facilities, buts feels like it's a million miles away from the hustle and bustle.

I'll PM you with our contact details in case you have any other specific questions, or just want some photos sending.

Regards and good luck with your move,
Paul
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:20 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I live pretty close to Kettle Valley and although most of the descriptions are accurate I'd like to say something about it being a supposed 'Little Britain'. If you're on the hunt for Man U shirts, I'm afraid you won't find many around there. I know a lot of people and have a lot of friends from Kettle Valley and only 2 of the families are Brits. Take a walk to the park one day and chat to people, you'll find that most are moving there from Alberta and Vancouver, mixed in with a scattering of Philipino nannies!
Most British families I know live on the West Side, so if you're looking for Brits to be around, move there.