Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kelowna BC

Moving to Kelowna BC

Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Crystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really nice
Default Moving to Kelowna BC

Hi
We are moving to Kelowna from UAE mid August (family of four & dog) having spent the past 12 years living in Dubai.

Hoping that all the setting up over there can only be easier than everyone (apart from locals) goes through over here. If anyone is thinking of moving the other way - Canada to Middle East - please let me know and I will do my best to answer any questions or pass on contact numbers. I'm sure I will be asking lots of inane questions over the next couple of weeks (my very 1st post earlier today - oops ) as the Wiki is a fab source of information, but personal opinions are highly valued too.

Thank you
CT
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:15 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kelowna BC

Originally Posted by Crystal Tips
Hi
We are moving to Kelowna from UAE mid August (family of four & dog) having spent the past 12 years living in Dubai.

Hoping that all the setting up over there can only be easier than everyone (apart from locals) goes through over here. If anyone is thinking of moving the other way - Canada to Middle East - please let me know and I will do my best to answer any questions or pass on contact numbers. I'm sure I will be asking lots of inane questions over the next couple of weeks (my very 1st post earlier today - oops ) as the Wiki is a fab source of information, but personal opinions are highly valued too.

Thank you
CT
Hi there and Welcome! If you haven't already you may want to check out www.accessokanagan.com - lots of lovely people in the Okanagan ready to help out and have a chat whenever you want one!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Crystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really nice

Thank you for the advice - really appreciated
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

toni1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Crystal, one question for you, why on earth would you want to move from dubai to kelowna?..or canada for a fact? i was in dubai a year ago and its awesome there, NO icome taxes alone is a reason to stay there.....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Toni1

Dubai is a great place; exciting, growing by the minute. BUT there are a lot of hidden taxes (or fees) on nearly every commodity over here now - which is quite understandable considering the growth rate of the country in the past 5 / 6 years. VAT is also being officially introduced very soon (January 2009 I think). House rents and purchase costs are crazy, and most other things including school fees, medical cover, food costs (same in many countries at the moment I believe) and most other things have rocketed.

For us, the main reason for the move is the 4 different seasons (and the chance for OH to start-up on his own, which has been an itch he's had for a very long time) Our kids are climbing the walls between May and September due to the hot and humid weather limiting outdoor pursuits - the most they can expect to do in the daylight hours in the warmer months is Healey (rollerblade) in the shopping mall and look forward to the school summer hols back in England. Of course, the winters are great temperature wise over here but you know what - the desert seems a little bland after so long living in the middle of it. (We get very excited at the grass verges and hedgrows along the motorway when visiting UK how sad are we).

Dubai has been absolutely magic and we have loved (nearly) every minute of living here, but we feel, for us it is the right time to move on. Having been living out of the UK for such a long time (OH 21 years in various countries throughout ME!!! and myself since 1989 all over the shop) we dont feel ready to settle back home in the UK yet (plus its bloomin expensive there and unfortunately we dont have bucketloads of cash stashed away. So BC is our next stop and we hope to live, learn, meet some great new friends and enjoy the scenery and fresh air.

Sorry if I've waffled on - second glass of wine syndrome
CT
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Crystal,

yes i could understand all those reasons you just mentioned....
but as far as kelowna why did you choose there? do you like to be in a smaller town? are you transfering for work?..i live in alberta and we are thinking of moving to BC, possibly Surrey, but have to find job first before we make the move...i guess it depends what field of work your in to live in kelowna..
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Hi Toni1

Definitely want to move to a small town - actually thinking Kelowna may be a little too 'fast-paced' and big city for us (but we need the convenience of the airport for OH workwise and easy for kids to get to school and have friends to play). We'll have a better idea after 6 to 12 months renting when we've lived and learnt what area in the Okanagan will work for the family.
Any advice or info on areas for us to consider in and around Kelowna would be most gratefully received.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

hi crystal,

actually i havent been to kelowna and wanted to move there my self..i dunno if i can leave calgary and move into a smaller city like kelowna, specially me working in the IT computer field if there is any jobs there
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toni1
hi crystal,

actually i havent been to kelowna and wanted to move there my self..i dunno if i can leave calgary and move into a smaller city like kelowna, specially me working in the IT computer field if there is any jobs there
Have you thought of Kamloops?

See the thread entitled IT Skilled workers.
x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi There...

No real advice...Kelowna is great - we own a house there in Westbank, so I would say that.

Just a recomendation that you make a trip around the lake (towards Peachland and Penticton) and treat yourself to a day in Naramata....We go there every summer - certainly perfect for younger kiddies...It is a very small town - one General Store - surrounded by Vineyards and fruit orchards...Pure bliss.....We are always the only people on the beach in the morning!!!! Most people have never heard of it thank goodness so keep it to yourself!!!

Good luck with your move
Lisa
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely want to move to a small town - actually thinking Kelowna may be a little too 'fast-paced' and big city for us
Wait til July-August - it's "Alberta Annual Truckfest and Redneck Party" here

Seriously though, Kelowna is officially a city but you'd probably feel like it was a "town" for reference purposes.

R.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:36 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toni1
...i was in dubai a year ago and its awesome there, NO icome taxes alone is a reason to stay there.....
Anyone who really wants to figure out what BC is all about would do well to understand...it's not about financial benefit.

It's all about the lifestyle. If you don't "get it", and you don't want the lifestyle, and I mean this very seriously, stay away. You'll be much happier if you do.

R.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips on Lisa we will definitely take time out to experience some of things you mentioned.

Rich 007, would you kindly give me your view on the Dilworth Mountain area? Is it a busy area or are there places a little quieter but easy access to amenities - if you know what I mean

Thanks for every single bit of information and advice - truly appreciated
Nic
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:08 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich 007, would you kindly give me your view on the Dilworth Mountain area? Is it a busy area or are there places a little quieter but easy access to amenities - if you know what I mean
Sure....pro's - totally unbusy - it's very close to town, 5 mins to the mall, grocery etc. Very safe and very quiet 'hood. Couple of small parks for little ones, and access to a few trails loops to go get a bit of fresh air and a stretch - nothing long, mind. Some parts have staggering city/lake views. Has a good rep as far as real estate goes, which is not likely to diminish. No word of any complaints about the homes built up there, some very nice touches on the newer builds. The older area is a bit tired - gaudy colour jobs that need redoing, decks and yards needing a big overhaul IMHO. The road AFAIK is always plowed in winter no matter how bad the weather is. I am sure the school buses run right through the area too.

Cons.....there is some newer development further up, they're building condo units (high end, not trashy) but they are right behind a strip of really nice homes. I know a couple of people who moved after building there because of the condo's overlooking their back yards (they were on the non-view side of the road). Dilworth is pretty much one way in-out then you split depending whether you are headed south/downtown or north/mall area. Some homes have small yards, that's the trade off of living in there mountain-top communities - but - they usually appeal to people who are too busy with lifestyle to have a monster lawn and nit-picky weeding etc. Lots of exposed rock features in back yards etc. I'm sure people are really nice up there, generally quiet upper middle class types, mainly empty nesters but there are definitely families up there too in the mix. I met a Korean guy who was living there for 2 years on a WP running a store, he said nobody would speak to him ! But I'm sure that's an exception to the rule. Expect to pay a premium price for the Dilworth 'rep'. Same house elsewhere would be cheaper, of course. Dilworth is a little bit isolated - from a geographical/psychographical perspective, nothing is more isolated than being atop a mountain. So you are 'out there' in some ways but not by distance.

Now, if you're looking for amenities for the kids, say swimming pools, beaches, parks, trails, you'd probably want to look elsewhere. Lower Mission, close to Capital News Centre, beaches, lake, etc.

I'd kinda describe Dilworth as a little haven of tranquility, sitting there trying not to be smug, happily enjoying life, supping a cocktail in peace and quiet as the noisy sweaty throng goes about their business in the hot valley bottom below. And knowing you're paying a premium for such a life. People would be jealous, but they know they would do the same if they could.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Rich_007;6466840]I'd kinda describe Dilworth as a little haven of tranquility, sitting there trying not to be smug, happily enjoying life, supping a cocktail in peace and quiet as the noisy sweaty throng goes about their business in the hot valley bottom below. QUOTE]

That sounds just my cup of tea Thank you so much for the pros and cons. Will just have to find out approx cost of rentals to see if it may be an option before getting too excited and packing the cocktail shaker last so it will be first thing we open on arrival

An acquaintance in Dubai recommended Kettle Valley as the most perfect place to live. After having a good look and doing my homework, it is most definitely not the place for us. (It reminded me of the Stepford Wives film set), though I'm sure it suits lots of other families.

Thanks again for everything
Nic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.