Reload this Page >

Moving to Kamloops, BC

Moving to Kamloops, BC

Old May 22nd 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

The1Anton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Kamloops, BC

Originally Posted by R I C H
There are essentially 2 types of horse owners, those that have their own acreage and access an equestrian facility for coaching or competition, and those that board 12mths of the year.

Without indoor and outdoor riding arenas you won’t attract year round boarders, which is essential to make that sort of facility make financial sense. We would only offer 12mth boarding contracts. Drop-ins for lessons paid an hourly fee.

There area a few small holdings that provide stabling facilities and direct/easy access to Crown Land for riding out, but I wouldn’t say they’re money making businesses.

Whether you buy acreage with the potential to start a facility and then invest, or look at existing business opportunities, suitable land and build costs are going to be the thick end of $1m if you want a residence of some sort too. We sold Sun Meadows over 10 years ago for close to double that, and I believe it’s been marketed since then for $2.5m.

The population of Kamloops is growing, but I’m not convinced an additional facility would be an easily justified business case.
Thank you, that all makes sense. Just being able to have the space for 2 or 3 horses without the need keep them elsewhere would be a step up from where we are at now.
Old May 23rd 2020, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Tamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The1Anton
Ooh lovely! Other people I have asked about Kelowna say that it is too crowded and full of posers, but I know there can be inter-city rivalries! What are the schools like? Is there variability based on the 'area' or more homogenised in Canada, which I have heard about (as well as being 2nd best system behind Finland, apparently). We have made so many new friends since our children started going to primary school and this has been the main friendship group we have. Does Canada have the 'parents chatting at the school gate/parents-what-lunch' culture you get here?
so basically its the same as the uk!! We have 'cathment ' areas here. Meeting at the school gate does happen quite a bit but parents seem to talk more at the after school clubs in my experience. You will easily make friends here I'm not saying that everything drops on your lap bbut we have made Friday's with Canadians and English. Perhaps money/vivid permitting you come here for a vacation? You could also check out some of the other towns close by aswell?
Old May 23rd 2020, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tamasin1
so basically its the same as the uk!! We have 'cathment ' areas here. Meeting at the school gate does happen quite a bit but parents seem to talk more at the after school clubs in my experience. You will easily make friends here I'm not saying that everything drops on your lap bbut we have made Friday's with Canadians and English. Perhaps money/vivid permitting you come here for a vacation? You could also check out some of the other towns close by aswell?
That's good to know. I had previously looked at Atlantic Canada because it was regarded as having a friendlier population than in BC, but maybe by 'BC' they meant Victoria/Vancouver. However, Atlantic Canada also had the concept of 'come from aways so it isn't exclusive to one place it seems! How have you found education in Kamloops/Canada?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's lots of business from recreational riders, it's common for people to board their horses in winter while keeping them at home for the summer. Other riders trailer to the arena and rent it for a while, sometimes with a coach, sometimes not. If it's a lesson barn then people may trailer in for lessons.

Again, I'm in Ontario and it may be different in the desert province but, if bringing horses, I'd board the horses initially. It's sensible for people to rent a house for a year before buying and that's massively more true with horses. Boarding gets you a network of vets and farriers and so on as well as an idea of the pitfalls of local properties.
Good to know, thanks! Our horses aren't anything of quality and it is roughly 10k to transfer a horse over to Canada!