Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kamloops!

Moving to Kamloops!

Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kamloops!

I'm sure you will love it here.

We have been here nearly 6 years now and enjoy life in Kamloops more every year.

If you have any questions about the city, i'll happily answer them as I spend all day every day in every neighbourhood looking at homes, so probably know more about this place than any town i've ever lived in the UK.

And I must really get on this forum more !

This weekend is the Kamloops Pow Wow, http://www.tourismkamloops.com/kamlo...itish-columbia

oh and the weekend of the 8th /9th aug. is the annual car show down town (saturday) and ribfest in riverside park all weekend.
great fun. look at some awesome classic cars and then sit in sun down at riverside park and stuff yourself with BBQ !

Last edited by 4d32ftw; Jul 29th 2014 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

kathrynbaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jonny,
Thanks again for all your help.
Could you tell us what Westsyde is like for families to live in? They seem to have bigger plots? But wondered what it's like there to live?

Cheers

Kath
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

kathrynbaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sarah & Andy, Rich, Maria & Jonny,

Your advice is much appreciated! Sorry for all the questions!
Rich, we can't wait to come to Sunny Peaks. Looking forward to skiing again& teaching our girls, not that we are experts, just enjoy it!

Sarah, my husband will be working as a hgv mechanic. I'm a teacher, although not sure what work I will do in September when we finally get there! Any jobs that fit in with school hours?! I see school's finish at 2.30pm over there, so maybe some cafe work?

Thinking about living in Juniper, Lower Sahali or Westsyde. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the advice given so far, it helps us so much!

Kath :-)
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Hi kathryn,

We moved here from Shropshire a little over 4 years ago. We had not visited kamloops before arriving. Have you done so yet?

Kamloops in a stunning place to live with a young family. We personally like living at higher elevation and settled in the Aberdeen area. Views are stunning and its a little cooler, around 2 degrees from the downtown temp. This is not favoured by all as we tend to get the snow for a little longer and the growing season arrives a bit later, we dont feel this is a big deal though.

Aberdeen is a rapidly expanding area and seems to attract a lot of young families. Though you may want to check out the info on the mine expansion plans as is a few km directly behind.

Summers can be baking, check out historical data on accuweather.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

sparkyshep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kathryn we are also moving over to work for the same company but we are down in the Langley garage, moving over second week in sept have they sorted every thing out for Bruce's stay ? good luck Steve and Joanne

Last edited by sparkyshep; Aug 3rd 2014 at 11:45 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Been cruising around the neighbourhoods and seem to be settling on the Sahali and Aberdeen areas.I really like the Leadership and community programs offered at Sahali secondary for my eldest,although rumour has it that the teachers may not be returning until October.It seems you do get more for your money in Westsyde and Juniper.Juniper would be a stretch for us as there is no real public transport to speak of out there.Westsyde has some lovely places off the main Westsyde road and the schools have good reputations so would come a close second for us.Ventured up to north Barriere lake yesterday and had a blast!!!!
Happy house hunting!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:53 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah & andy
.Ventured up to north Barriere lake yesterday and had a blast!!!!
Try Johnson Lake next time - one of the prettiest in that area: Johnson Lake Resort

Heffley Lake on the way to Sun Peaks is a popular spot too. Safe boating and swimming lake.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Rich will do!!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kathryn and indeed all you others here in The Loops. RICH!!! You moved to Sun Peaks lol guess where we moved from Westsyde to........BHV lol. Love it much better. Kathryn my husband is a Heavy Duty Mechanic at Highland Valley which is 50 minutes SW of town but he doesn't mind the drive now that we are out of Westsyde and easy access to the highway. I can't talk about schools as we don't have kids. We hated the drive to Westsyde as everything we did shopping entertainment etc was all South of the a river so we were forever driving back and forth. We moved out to Barnhartvale it's like living in the country but still close to the city. We absolutely love Kamloops, we lived in Saskatchewan five years first it's sooooo different here! We all should organize a BE meet up.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi AlvicSK I think it's a great idea to have a BE meet up.Maybe meet at a lake or something for a BBQ,let's see what response we get !!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

For sure Sarah that sounds great!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kath, welcome to Kamloops. You'll love it here - it's the perfect place for a young family. And I can definitely recommend Aberdeen. I've lived here for 9 years and it's a terrific area, a little higher so you get the views and you're out of the summer dust storms that you can sometimes see rolling through the valley below.

<<snip>>

Last edited by Sue; Aug 5th 2014 at 12:05 pm. Reason: For Sale details removed. Please feel free to add to your signature and submit a free Classifieds ad. Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2014, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! Sorry, Sue. You mean like this:
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
RICH!!! You moved to Sun Peaks lol guess where we moved from Westsyde to........BHV lol. Love it much better....We moved out to Barnhartvale it's like living in the country but still close to the city. We absolutely love Kamloops, we lived in Saskatchewan five years first it's sooooo different here! We all should organize a BE meet up.
Barnhartvale is a nice community, good to hear you're happy. There's a perception that it's miles out of town, but I used to commute to the university in 20 minutes, so it's hardly much of a chore.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:22 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by sarah & andy
Hi AlvicSK I think it's a great idea to have a BE meet up. Maybe meet at a lake or something for a BBQ,let's see what response we get !!
I'm free Tues-Fri and May, June, October and Nov

Boat's moored at the Shuswap if anyone wants a day out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.