Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving House in Canada

Moving House in Canada

Old Apr 5th 2006, 9:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving House in Canada

Hi all - just thought I post this for a bit of interest.

When we 1st came to Canada last year we were amazed at how easy the house buying process was here. We have been amazed again!

On Friday out realtor called to ask if we were still looking to move (we have never been completely happy with the house we bought - too big and just not quite right) Well we had decided to stick it out here for a while, but Chris (our realtor) said he really thought he had found the house we wanted. Anyhow, we went and had a look on sunday. Chris was right - we loved it and put an offer on. It was accepted on Monday morning. On Monday afternoon we put ours on the market, on Tuesday morning we accepted an offer $5000 below asking but seeing as we put it on for $5000 more than suggested we were happy with that Our moving date is uncomfirmed but likey to be May 15th. Talk about whirlwind! just called all the utilities - only took 30 mins to get the movers for a quote and to check what all the utilities needed from us before we moved - only a year ago I remember being on hold for what seemed like days only to be cut off and start again.

Oh my god we're moving 4 weeks before MIL arrives
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving House in Canada

It really does move fast here. When we bought our house, we looked for a week or two, put in an offer that was accepted the same day, and moved in a month later.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Same here. We just bought our first house and are moving in at the end of the month. We started looking one weekend a month or so ago and found there were some decent houses in our price range which was unexpected and figured out we could actually afford it vs renting and put in an offer, did a quick back and forth haggle, had it accepted and after an inspection the same week all was firmed up and that was it. No multiple offers, no fear of gazumping etc.

We shall see how the actual move goes but I'm sure it will be more troublsome than the actual house buying process. Nothing more annoying than putting everything you own in boxes, moving them all 20 minutes in a truck then taking everything out again.

Drew
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:12 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Oh my god we're moving 4 weeks before MIL arrives
But you are going to tell her the new address, eh?

Congrats!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:13 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wizzard

We shall see how the actual move goes but I'm sure it will be more troublsome than the actual house buying process. Nothing more annoying than putting everything you own in boxes, moving them all 20 minutes in a truck then taking everything out again.

Drew

PRE BOOK a van

Don't do what friends of mine did, pop down to Budget to get a van on the last Saturday of the month!! They were told they could get one on the Thursday.

Clare
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:27 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
But you are going to tell her the new address, eh?

Congrats!

Hmmm - hadn't thought of not telling her...........!

We have already had one company out for a moving quote and another is comming on Monday, one company said $65 per hour with truck and 2 guys - pretty reasonable. But I quite like the idea of someone packing it all for me while I'm at work (hubby'll be at home ) and then going home to my new address to unpack after work. Considering we weren't even looking anymore and had decided to stay in the house we bought originally, it's been a bit of a whirlwind week!