Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

You would all be amazed at how many girls Hooters has supported through University in the US and Canada.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Bits of paper can be very important if you want someone to pay you. My richest client didn't make it past grade 4.

When I was of that age most of my contemporaries considered university as an opportunity to doss about at the state's expense for three years. The most useful thing half the students learned was their tolerance level of various types of narcotics.

Nowadays people treat a university education as vocational education. It is not done to advance knowledge but to increase future earning power. As such, I think it is perfectly reasonable to have to pay for it.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 19th 2015 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You would all be amazed at how many girls Hooters has supported through University in the US and Canada.
The only Hooters that I used to frequent regularly was in Tennessee and it seemed there that stripping supported them through Hooters.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Most? Nah. And, in any case, hod carrying is a skill with such broad applicability; residential, commercial, agricultural, recreational, that a man who's deft with his hod will always be wanted somewhere.
Your kid had better be the world's best hod carrier if he expects to compete against 3D printers and robots.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As such, I think it is perfectly reasonable to have to pay for it.
Except that it's not just the individual who benefits from higher education- the whole society does. Germany, Denmark etc have already realised this.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Except that it's not just the individual who benefits from higher education- the whole society does. Germany, Denmark etc have already realised this.
So has America. Last I looked, student loans were the biggest single source of new credit in the US economy, which is why the government keep pushing kids to borrow lots of money to blow on a Tarantino Studies degree. Keeps them off the unemployment figures, too.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As such, I think it is perfectly reasonable to have to pay for it.
And it acts as rationing system that keeps the smelly kids out.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I don't have an issue with free education. I approve. I don't approve of people expecting the state (i.e. other people) to subsidize their future superior income.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Oink
And it acts as rationing system that keeps the smelly kids out.
Except for those that smell of money.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Then maybe think about having her learn about joined up letters?
why?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Your kid had better be the world's best hod carrier if he expects to compete against 3D printers and robots.
You have the wrong end of the stick. I'm not arguing that one should aspire to be hod carriers just that since there are loads of people with degrees and no jobs, a degree is necessary to be an hod carrier. (Note that hod carrier here is not intended to refer literally and only to hod carriers but to any unskilled or semi-skilled work).

The lack of a degree is a handicap to finding work just as the lack of a leg is a handicap to finding work. I understand that a degree is as relevant to hod carrying as a leg is to accountancy but it's something employers except one to have.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
why?
The acquistion of any skill may stimulate intellectual curiousity so being able to write is of potential benefit there. The lack of skills commonly held is a social disadvantage so illiteracy, albeit in the limited sense of not being able to read or write documents created by hand, is a disadvantage there. The presumption that children need not be able to deal with traditional written forms because they'll always have an electronic device to hand and will have no interest in source documents seems to me presumptuous; what if the child wants to be an archivist?

My analogy remains the use of a knife and fork; it's not strictly necessary to be familiar with that technology but I'd certainly prefer my children to have mastered it; even if they're living in Canada. I don't think anything is lost by being able to use real cutlery as well as a spork or chopsticks and I don't think any skill or knowledge need be sacrificed in order to learn to write.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The lack of a degree is a handicap to finding work just as the lack of a leg is a handicap to finding work. I understand that a degree is as relevant to hod carrying as a leg is to accountancy but it's something employers except one to have.
And my point was that that may be true today, but won't be for kids reaching university age in twenty years, because 'work' won't exist in the current form for most of their lives. We're living in the tail end of the industrial era, and jobs will go with it.

Most of our ancestors didn't 'work' in the current sense (i.e. doing the same thing all year for someone else), and most of our descendants won't, either. Modern work is a product of the centralization of economic production in the industrial age, and won't last long as production becomes increasingly decentralised and automated.

Probably about the worst thing a kid born today could do is decide they want to be a doctor, borrow huge amounts of money to spend ten years taking a medical degree, and graduate in 2045, just in time to be replaced by a robot. Even Hooters may no longer be hiring humans by then, if they can just clone girl-bots instead.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing in the U.S. seems to me to be because schools there in many areas are totally awful so they have to go to college to get any sense of an education at all.

Not that the UK is immune, I remember when everyone was complaining about how A-levels were getting to be "too easy" and then when they interviewed these kids with fantastic results most of them seemed to have A-levels in things like art or drama which weren't even available when I was in school.

The purpose of education which a lot of people seem to forget is to learn something useful, not whether it impresses the person interviewing you for a job.

There's this thing in the U.S. and Canada where you see people with master's degrees working photocopiers.

Well, I'm not surprised, because I've hired people for clerical jobs and I've had people submit résumés with a master's degree in microbiology for example. What use is that in an office job? Or I had one once with a master's in religious studies and psychology I think it was. Yeah, we often use Latin around the office.

Get a degree in something that is actually useful, like accounting or business administration. Or if you're going to be an engineer, get a degree in engineering etc. Don't be surprised if you can't get a job after doing a degree in art history or something like that. Prince William can pull that off, you can't.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I've been pondering this awhile. A lot of us- me included- think this is a better place to raise kids; the space, the parks, the Canadian niceness.

But I've started to ponder the future inspired by learning more about the difficulties of social mobility (that's probably not what I mean but bear with me) in the states. Basically I see you needing a certificate, diploma or degree before you can do anything down there, hence if you can't afford the qualifications, you can't progress. Contrast this with Britain where anyone with some smarts and application can make something of themselves.

I think Canada is getting more and more like the US, certainly you need a full portfolio of certificates and cards before you can even fart here.

So my fears are, if we don't have the $50-80k per child to get them a suitable bit of paper, are we actually selling them (our kids) short?

Thoughts?
If you think the UK has good social mobility, you need to go back and do some research. According to the OECD, the UK has the worst social mobility in the western world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.