Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Mar 26th 2015, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

Originally Posted by BexB
My son will be going to university this September. We looked at universities in Ontario last November and UK universities a couple of weeks ago. A comparison of the (domestic)costs is covered in the posts above, but the other thing to bear in mind is domestic/international fees and funding support, which may vary depending on your "status".

In Canada (Ontario at least), it seems that if you have a temporary work permit then your son/daughter will pay domestic fees (although they will need to obtain a study permit, $100 I think). I guess the logic is that you're a Canadian taxpayer and so should benefit from subsidised tuition costs. For each UK university, you have to complete a fee assessment questionnaire, which includes questions as to why you're resident in Canada, whether you retain a house in the UK etc. My TWP expires July 2016, so at the moment we have successfully been able to argue that our stay in Canada is temporary and hence obtain domestic fee status. Apart from lower tuition fees, these can be met by a UK loan, reducing the amount of cash you have to find up front.
Assuming, touch wood, we obtain PR status later this year, my son could well be classed as an international student for the second and subsequent years, if he goes to a UK university, meaning much higher tuition fees and no UK funding support.
If you live in BC and your children attend university in Ontario, they'll be hit with out-of-State fees for, at least, the first year. That's not as bad as the international fees but it is expensive.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

You don't need HE or Uni to make decent living and great life for yourself.
I dropped out of Uni after a Year and I make more money now than If I stayed at Uni and got job related to my degree.
There is to much emphasis that you must have a degree to do well in life and that just is not the case. If you have plan an idea know what your doing that is so much more important putting all your time and effort into that than wasting money on a degree.

so many degrees are set up as a product to sell and nothing more. I hate that this society believes in that we must have a degree in this world to succeed.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
I dropped out of Uni after a Year and I make more money now than If I stayed at Uni and got job related to my degree.
There is to much emphasis that you must have a degree to do well in life and that just is not the case. If you have plan an idea know what your doing that is so much more important putting all your time and effort into that than wasting money on a degree.

so many degrees are set up as a product to sell and nothing more. I hate that this society believes in that we must have a degree in this world to succeed.
Education is not about financial reward but about the furtherance of mankind's understanding of the world. It may be that an individual is better recompensed for hod carrying than for curing cancer, operating the large hadron collider or mastering Pate de Verre but society is not better for that choice to hod carry. Children should be educated until they can't fit no more knowledge in their heads; make 'em all, at least, literate.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:29 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That's true but strikes me as a very anglo-sentiment. To be a member of a profession in north America you do need that degree to get your license. In Britain you don't (although it certainly makes things easier).

Engineering firms have a distinct caste-culture in the office dependant on this, which is something I never witnessed anywhere in Britain.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dbd33
Education is not about financial reward but about the furtherance of mankind's understanding of the world. It may be that an individual is better recompensed for hod carrying than for curing cancer, operating the large hadron collider or mastering Pate de Verre but society is not better for that choice to hod carry. Children should be educated until they can't fit no more knowledge in their heads; make 'em all, at least, literate.
Life is Now not in 3 or 4 years time. From speaking to many Students over the years there thought process is I can't wait for my life to begin when I get my degree and First Real Job.

My Educations is all around me, every day I learn so much more than I could ever learn in a Classroom On Degree Course from Traveling to and learning as I go.

Degree is just piece of paper for many to get a job.

You should be able to learn and Educate yourself for most professions (Bar a Few).

If I want to be mechanical engineer. I should be able to learn in my own way.
Provided I am as capable as anyone else in my Field and can demonstrate this
A Uni or College Degree should not be needed.

Yes everyone needs to be educated all time and learn all the time and it should never stop. It does not mean we should to have to spend thousands of Pounds to do that.
or some cases spend it to Just to prove what we already Know.

I do believe the Education system is flawed from Infant school all the way To University.

One thing the Uk does better is having College / Sixth Form at 16.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes everyone needs to be educated all time and learn all the time and it should never stop. It does not mean we should to have to spend thousands of Pounds to do that.
Depends on the job surely? My husband couldn't do his job without a degree, and he's studying a MBA now.

Education also means learning how to to spell and use correct grammar.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Life is Now not in 3 or 4 years time. From speaking to many Students over the years there thought process is I can't wait for my life to begin when I get my degree and First Real Job.

My Educations is all around me, every day I learn so much more than I could ever learn in a Classroom On Degree Course from Traveling to and learning as I go.

You should be able to learn and Educate yourself for most professions (Bar a Few).

I do believe the Education system is flawed from Infant school all the way To University.

This is very naive frankly. Yes life is now but that attitude alone won't help you in 4 years time when you can't earn what you would like to because you believe in wanting to learn in your own way. There has to be some benchmark to a persons education hence a course is designed that covers required topics and ensures that future employers etc have an idea as to your capacity for learning and ability due to what you have learnt in theory. Sadly your opinion will mean you fall behind those with the required degrees when you are trying to obtain the career path you want.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
That's true but strikes me as a very anglo-sentiment. To be a member of a profession in north America you do need that degree to get your license. In Britain you don't (although it certainly makes things easier).

Engineering firms have a distinct caste-culture in the office dependant on this, which is something I never witnessed anywhere in Britain.
At the last place I worked in the UK we were having constant arguments about whether we should even interview anyone without a PhD, never mind a degree. Worked in a very similar environment here and had no such discussions. Being members of the relevant professional body does seem more important here.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:15 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My job in the UK had an undergrad as a minimum requirement. Another team had a master's as a minimum.

Husbands's job in the UK was the same.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 2:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Laurier doesn't have an extensive co-op program, and it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as Waterloo's (which is the largest in the world). I did my B.A. at Waterloo and my Master's at Laurier so am familiar with both schools.
Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Entirely possible my memory was escaping me and it was Waterloo I was thinking of instead! Happy to be corrected if I was mistaken!

It's good that we can always rely on Colchar's parochial view of life in his contributions to threads on higher education. Once again, he strikes with his sweepingly inaccurate statements. I love the fact that everything he posts is almost immediately contradicted by everyone else on the board. It's like one of those little clockwork toys...

Good is not the same as big. I can't answer for how extensive Laurier's co-op programs are, but I have employed Laurier undergrad co-op students on two occasions. Both were quite superb and have since gone on to launch successful careers. Waterloo may operate the largest co-op program "of its type" in the world, but there are many other types of cooperation between academia and industry. Consider for a moment that Waterloo has 18,000-odd students on co-ops, whereas roughly ten times that number in six universities (Loughborough, Brunel, Surrey, Bath, Aston, Bournemouth) are on various "sandwich" courses in the UK in addition to all the less formal internships out there in the wide world. For sure, Waterloo's undergrad programs in applied sciences and engineering are genuinely world-class, but outside of that narrow scope it's still a backwoods kind of a place, innit? Nobody would choose to go there for the best possible undergrad experience on a BA course in, say, history, would they?

Last edited by Oakvillian; Mar 27th 2015 at 2:40 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Your post brilliantly disproves your points.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why does one have to attend university to become educated for education's sake? Isn't it possible for most to achieve that by simply reading which, one would hope, is within the abilities of most?
Of course it's possible for someone to educate themselves through reading, especially these days. However, most won't, and that really is the point. A stint at university or college often provides individuals with the tools for furthering understanding, develops reasoning ability, and a love of learning. As a Western adulthood now seems to stretch to 60+ years, spending an extra few years in education at the youthful end does not seem an onerous proposition.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is pretty much the same for day to day living as the US in my view from living in both countries.

Both if you don't have a degree or at the very least a diploma in some sort of college subject, your pretty much relegated to low income work with not much chance of moving up.

Companies in both countries value a degree over significant experience but no degree. Have seen companies many times look past a current employee with more experience for the job and hire a 23 year old fresh from college with no work experience at all just because they have a degree.

There are exceptions of course, but those are just that exceptions.

As for paying for college, students can't work too much or the government just gives them less financial aid, and the financial aid that is given isn't always sufficient, and family is expected to help out if the student is under a certain age, meets certain criteria etc, but the financial aid program isn't ideal in Canada and burdens you with a lot of debt on graduation and if you don't get a good job quick enough to pay that debt, you can destroy your credit before even have a chance to build credit.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Your kid had better be the world's best hod carrier if he expects to compete against 3D printers and robots.
How will things be paid for if we keep eliminating jobs with technology? I still don't fully understand that part. If people have no jobs to make money, they can't buy the things the printers and robots can produce. Maybe the goal is to replace humans with robots?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, do you prefer it that those that choose work (plumbers, electricians, etc.) over obtaining a degree pay for others to obtain a degree so that they can go on to earn far more? How many degrees should be free? The first one, the second one, etc?

A lawyer I used to work with has written this on her profile: [She has a] Master of Arts in English Literature. The focus of her Master's thesis was gender constructions and subjectivity in sonnet sequences written during the Renaissance period.

Should taxpayers have paid the tuition for such a course?
plumbers, electricians and other trades would benefit from free tuition as well, while they may not be degree programs, those professions all have college programs so people can learn how to plumb and wire stuff, and those programs cost money and are essential in some places to get an apprenticeship.

Plumbers and electricians also likely end up making more then a lot of people with degrees do these days.

More to free education at the college and university level then just obtaining a degree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.