Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Originally Posted by jossie
I just thought it was a dull and depressing characterless concrete jungle. We stayed there back in 2006 on a recce trip. Not our cup of tea. Of all the places to choose to live in Canada I can't think why anyone would want to live there. Each to their own though.
Are you just simply describing the whole country?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:51 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
You could also live in Kitchener, Waterloo, or Cambridge and easily commute into Guelph.
You are indeed right....I have done that trip a number of times myself day and night....jump onto hwy 7 and just take it all the way down. A lot of new subdivisions along that way too
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
You are indeed right....I have done that trip a number of times myself day and night....jump onto hwy 7 and just take it all the way down. A lot of new subdivisions along that way too
But why? Why would you want to spend two or three hours a day getting from Kitchener to Guelph and back again when you could just live in Guelph?

(It's not the case, btw, that I think that isn't an easy commute because I'd fear getting lost but because it's agonisingly slow due to traffic congestion).

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 16th 2013 at 6:01 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:04 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by segs
Hello
We are moving to Guelph in March and would like advice on areas to definitely avoid (noise/drugs?/predominantly student areas) and good places (stable communities with neighbourly folk/accessible amenities) to live

We are a medical couple 40ish with no kids
We are going to rent for a while first before buying.
We are in Guelph for a day next week and viewing houses in Carrington drive and Kemp Crescent (one found on Kijiji, the other through my employer recommended realtor/estate agent)

Any views on these areas?
Also for those in Guelph please kindly give the names of 'general areas' that are good.
Many thanks
That far end of Edinburgh Rd S (where your Carrington house is) is a good area. Pretty good location for getting to everything important. Quick drive onto Gordon and you can head north to the Downtown (5 minutes) or head south and you'll be soon out of Guelph and into the more rural bits before Highway 401 if you're going somewhere else. It's also just a few minutes from Stone Rd where the main mall in Guelph is. University is near by so there will be a lot of students in the area but that's life in Guelph. Has 120,000 residents and then another 20,000 students so they have to live somewhere. I've never seen students causing much hassle though. It's usually all very civilised. Might have actually looked at renting a house on that very street last year but it didn't pan out. From memory the house was pretty standard townhouse. Reasonably modern, OK sized rooms. Smallish yard with not much privacy. I'd expect a lot of the housing in that area would be similar.

To be honest Guelph is good. The only "iffy" areas I've seen are around Willow/Edinburgh. Some suspect characters there. The whole family sitting on the porch with shopping carts and dogs running around type feel. I think dbd33 was alluding to similar in one of his replies.

The North end of Guelph is a bit cheaper and has more industrial areas. The area immediately around downtown seems to have the most "character" streets as it's the older part of town. The rest is the usual throw it up quick townhouse type developments. All nice of course but it's up to you to decide what you like.

Overall I really like living here. There are a lot worse places you could wind up that's for sure. I'd ignore the person who replied first. They moved to BC. If I moved to BC I'd probably be quite bitter too lol.

Last edited by orly; Dec 16th 2013 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
That far end of Edinburgh Rd S (where your Carrington house is) is a good area. Pretty good location for getting to everything important. Quick drive onto Gordon and you can head north to the Downtown (5 minutes) or head south and you'll be soon out of Guelph and into the more rural bits before Highway 401 if you're going somewhere else. It's also just a few minutes from Stone Rd where the main mall in Guelph is. University is near by so there will be a lot of students in the area but that's life in Guelph. Has 120,000 residents and then another 20,000 students so they have to live somewhere. I've never seen students causing much hassle though. It's usually all very civilised. Might have actually looked at renting a house on that very street last year but it didn't pan out. From memory the house was pretty standard townhouse. Reasonably modern, OK sized rooms. Smallish yard with not much privacy. I'd expect a lot of the housing in that area would be similar.

To be honest Guelph is good. The only "iffy" areas I've seen are around Willow/Edinburgh. Some suspect characters there. The whole family sitting on the porch with shopping carts and dogs running around type feel. I think dbd33 was alluding to similar in one of his replies.

The North end of Guelph is a bit cheaper and has more industrial areas. The area immediately around downtown seems to have the most "character" streets as it's the older part of town. The rest is the usual throw it up quick townhouse type developments. All nice of course but it's up to you to decide what you like.

Overall I really like living here. There are a lot worse places you could wind up that's for sure. I'd ignore the person who replied first. They moved to BC. If I moved to BC I'd probably be quite bitter too lol.
Why would I be bitter? I live in an amazing part of Canada surrounded by sandy beaches, vineyards & ski hills. I love it here. Certainly not bitter - just trying to prevent someone from making a bad decision.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I be bitter? I live in an amazing part of Canada surrounded by sandy beaches, vineyards & ski hills. I love it here. Certainly not bitter - just trying to prevent someone from making a bad decision.
Wild horses couldn't make me live in an isolated place like the little towns in the Okanagan area. It has such a harsh climate. I wouldn't want people to go there thinking is was anything other than small town north America with some fresh water lakes, crap wineries and meth addiction.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Alright alright…
Thanks guys
No need for fisty cuffs

We've been to Guelph (and Kitchener and Milton and Cambridge) a few times in the process of job hunting, we've looked around a bit and hopefully renting before buying will prevent any regrets
We chose Guelph because we found good jobs (my job) there with colleagues who are very supportive
My husband will be working in Kitchener though- so it may broaden out where we end up buying , but I certainly don't want to commute anymore
Currently he walks to work 5 minutes away while I drive from Norwich to the Norfolk countryside to work 45 minutes away
You lot have been very helpful with your replies
I have more than enough to go on for now
Thank you
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Wild horses couldn't make me live in an isolated place like the little towns in the Okanagan area. It has such a harsh climate. I wouldn't want people to go there thinking is was anything other than small town north America with some fresh water lakes, crap wineries and meth addiction.
But if the wild horses succeeded in dragging you there, you could just shoot them and take a selfie grinning at the corpses.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Harsh climate? what are you talking about? The South Okanagan has the mildest climate in Canada hence the vineyards. People come here to retire because of the mild climate. Summers are hot and dry and winters are short and mild.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But if the wild horses succeeded in dragging you there, you could just shoot them and take a selfie grinning at the corpses.
I am assuming you would eat the Horse meat though? Seeing how it is considered a delicacy in Europe and given that you like to pretend you are sophisticated and intellectual and all that.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harsh climate? what are you talking about? The South Okanagan has the mildest climate in Canada hence the vineyards. People come here to retire because of the mild climate. Summers are hot and dry and winters are short and mild.
I don't think Guelph was placed in this survey:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/01...n_1187321.html
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:03 pm

It's very very hot and parched in the summer and very cold in the winter. I know someone who sold his house in N. Vancouver to move to a place called Vernon because it was so much cheaper. He was so isolated he committed suicide because he couldn't afford to move back. People live there I get that, but unless you're old and poor or you have the misfortune of being from there, you wouldn't choose it.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming you would eat the Horse meat though? Seeing how it is considered a delicacy in Europe and given that you like to pretend you are sophisticated and intellectual and all that.
Oh, yes. Horse meat is perfectly acceptable. It's just that I prefer it without the buckshot.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's very very hot and parched in the summer and very cold in the winter. I know someone who sold his house in N. Vancouver to move to a place called Vernon because it was so much cheaper. He was so isolated he committed suicide because he couldn't afford to move back. People live there I get that, but unless you're old and poor or you have the misfortune of being from there, you wouldn't choose it.
Very cold? the south Okanagan is known for the extremely mild winters. People were still golfing in Penticton a couple of weeks ago and by mid March people will be back out golfing and waterskiing on the lake. People come from all over to vacation here because of the beautiful lakes, wineries and ski resorts and the great climate. You have no idea. As for bringing your friends suicide into the equation I am confused. Are you saying that Vernon was so depressing that it drove him to suicide? As for old and poor? Not really the type of retirees that move here.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 12:50 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Very cold? the south Okanagan is known for the extremely mild winters. People were still golfing in Penticton a couple of weeks ago...
It's cold compared to the coast though, isn't it?

10 out of the first 15 days of this Dec were sub zero in Penticton. Crappy temperatures for playing golf I'd have thought. There were overnight sub zero temperatures by the middle of October.

Penticton GCC closed the course for the winter at the end of Nov, so I think you're stretching the truth a little.

As for bringing your friends suicide into the equation I am confused. Are you saying that Vernon was so depressing that it drove him to suicide?
Vernon's not exactly got much to offer if you're used to a city like Vancouver. It's a pretty dull place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.