Reload this Page >

Moving to Gatineau Ottawa

Moving to Gatineau Ottawa

Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Crazyhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Gatineau Ottawa

Originally Posted by Monomania
Not yet. Do you have any agencies in mind with regards to HR/Admin jobs?
Hays and Ribert Half may do HR. I know they do a range of office based roles.

Federal is possible for PR and non French speakers.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:41 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That should probably be qualified a bit. A very high proportion of Fed jobs are open only to existing, permanent, Fed employees. They are not even advertised to contract employees or the general public.

When jobs are advertised to the public and PRs are admissible, you can bet that in most cases a PR will be at the bottom of the recruiter's wish list.

Fed job ads are often rigged. You can usually tell by looking at the "asset qualifications". If they are very specific, you can be sure that the organisation already knows who it's going to hire (promotion, conversion from contract to permanent etc) and the advert is just for show.
True that a high proportion are only open to Federal employees and I see these, but the OP will not, so their search will be restricted to jobs.gc.ca. They won't be able to see anything they cannot apply to as non-public servants are not able to access this system (publiservice).

Regarding PRs, I disagree with this. In the core public service, citizens are preferred to PRs and in reality you have barely a snowflakes chance in hell of getting one of those even if you are qualified and eligible as a PR. However, for other separate federal government employers, the point is that there is no citizenship preference, so PRs are both eligible and competing on a level playing field. The two cases are very different.

Re. the point on 'rigged ads' this is not my personal experience. If the recruitment is external to the public via jobs.gc.ca a 'rigged' competition is in fact less likely as you would only go external if you feel you do not have the talent you need internally. If you wanted to rig a competition it would make little sense to post a job externally.

I think its an overstatement to say that most competitions are rigged. I've probably hired 10-15 people into the public service all through open competitions where we are looking for the best candidate, and my colleagues run the same processes to my best knowledge. Sometimes people feel something is rigged because they were not actually the best candidate...

The federal public service is changing and I think that some of the past practices are changing too, for the better in my opinion. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:12 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
True that a high proportion are only open to Federal employees and I see these, but the OP will not, so their search will be restricted to jobs.gc.ca. They won't be able to see anything they cannot apply to as non-public servants are not able to access this system (publiservice).

Regarding PRs, I disagree with this. In the core public service, citizens are preferred to PRs and in reality you have barely a snowflakes chance in hell of getting one of those even if you are qualified and eligible as a PR. However, for other separate federal government employers, the point is that there is no citizenship preference, so PRs are both eligible and competing on a level playing field. The two cases are very different.

Re. the point on 'rigged ads' this is not my personal experience. If the recruitment is external to the public via jobs.gc.ca a 'rigged' competition is in fact less likely as you would only go external if you feel you do not have the talent you need internally. If you wanted to rig a competition it would make little sense to post a job externally.

I think its an overstatement to say that most competitions are rigged. I've probably hired 10-15 people into the public service all through open competitions where we are looking for the best candidate, and my colleagues run the same processes to my best knowledge. Sometimes people feel something is rigged because they were not actually the best candidate...

The federal public service is changing and I think that some of the past practices are changing too, for the better in my opinion. YMMV of course.
It's the internal ads that get rigged. I've seen numerous examples because my missus, like all good public servants, spends half her time on publiservice (although not as much as she used to - she's an AS-5 and I don't think she can rise any further because she doesn't have a degree).

You can't really rig the essential requirements but you can rig the secondary filter (the asset qualifications). We've often binned adverts because it's obvious from the asset qualifications that the successful candidate was picked before the advert came out.