Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving with four kids to Canada

Moving with four kids to Canada

Old Aug 28th 2018, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

WaitingforToronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving with four kids to Canada

Hi! We have four children aged 16, 15 11 and 7 and would like to move to Canada in the next year or two. Does anyone have any experience of moving teenagers especially? The eldest will most likely be half-way through A-Levels and the next one will be just just finished GCSEs. Would it be better to put the eldest one back a year and do the IB in a private school? I'm worried that though they are both fairly bright, neither has French or any second language... Any ideas and or experience would be very welcome,
Thanks.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with four kids to Canada

Hi, I too am considering planning on moving my young family to Canada. We previously lived in Toronto with my eldest but we had to move back due to our visa being up. We now have our residency and are considering moving back (We are expecting our 3rd baby any day now) so I will have 3 young kids. From speaking to people that have moved with kids the older ones sometimes find it tougher but I suppose that depends on the person too not just age. Regarding a 2nd language that should not be a problem - depending on where you are planning on settling?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking French is an advantage, like being good at football or being physically attractive is an advantage. Writing as a monolingual, non-sporting, munter I can advise that none of these is essential to life in Toronto.

I should think teenagers move badly but not more so because they move to Toronto rather than, say, Ealing.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 4:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The education systems are very different and it will be a critical time for the teenagers, so it's probably best to tailor the new education path to each teen, depending on their own aspirations. Are they on board with the big move?

Last edited by Shard; Aug 28th 2018 at 4:44 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

They are keen, but nervous. It’s far from a done deal yet though, we’re still looking into all the details.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

You need to first find out whether you are eligible to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada!

Canada is a bilingual country, yes, but French is only essential if you wish to work for the Federal Government, as a second language in tourism (Chinese or Japanese might be even better!!), and would make life much easier in Quebec.

The only officially bilingual province is New Brunswick

Quebec is officially French-speaking ......... and your kids might have little option but to go to a French school as neither you nor your husband were educated in English in the provine.

All other provinces are uni-lingual English
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

All other provinces are uni-lingual English
Officially, perhaps, but even that's arguable. You can only be tried in English or French but your garbage calendar will be in forty languages. Someone working in an emergency unit in Toronto would quickly come to see the population of Brent as being homogenous.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Officially, perhaps, but even that's arguable. You can only be tried in English or French but your garbage calendar will be in forty languages. Someone working in an emergency unit in Toronto would quickly come to see the population of Brent as being homogenous.
An interpreter has to be provided for anyone not speaking English in BC courts .... that includes French, Chinese (especially Mandarin and Cantonese), Japanese, etc and possibly Swahili for all I know!

An interpreter can also be insisted upon in any of the BC [Social] Service Centres.

Of course, small towns have a problem.

Court cases have resulted from complaints that someone has not received intertation services when requested/needed.

I don't know what the situation is in Quebec.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 4:29 am
Just Joined

sauspop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just my thoughts on this subject, We moved to Kelowna, BC 7 years ago with 2 daughters age 10 and 13 at the time and had all the same worries you have now.
For what its worth both our daughters loved the change and settled straight into the school system. I can only talk for our local area but the teaching style here is so much more laid back than in the UK with no uniforms and a more casual relationship with teachers it was hard for them not to love it. One of my daughters is now in UBCO Uni and the other is in her final grade 12 year and neither speak any more than holiday french now.
When we arrived they spoke more french than any of the kids here so depending obviously where you end up I really wouldn't worry about that I never hear french spoken here in BC.
It is definite a roller coaster ride but looking back well worth the ride.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maillardville, in Coquitlam BC, is a francophone area.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Sheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond repute

We ruled out Quebec/National Capital Region due to the fact the kids would have to attend french school. Not that is is a bad thing but we have very VERY little French it was not going to work for us. But not having French will not be an issue for you in most places.

Assuming you have looked into your residency/visa situation?
Old Aug 29th 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all those replies re French. My main worry world be that the kids wouldn’t be able to graduate high school in Ontario if they didn’t have French.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

It definitely won't be an issue whatsoever.

Sorry to jump on your post but can I ask where in Ontario are you considering moving to? I am researching locations to find the best fit for my family.

Having previously lived in Toronto we have ruled it out due to house prices. So I am looking at GTA.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by scilly
An interpreter has to be provided for anyone not speaking English in BC courts .... that includes French, Chinese (especially Mandarin and Cantonese), Japanese, etc and possibly Swahili for all I know!
Yes, I expect that's true everywhere in Canada, but the trial is in English, or French, with translation of testimony. You cannot elect to have the proceedings conducted in Swahili.

Look, if people don't speak French, they don't. Lots of people in Canada don't and their lives are not blighted. It's silly though to pretend that it's not an advantage to speak both official languages and a greater advantage than any other bilingualism. I think you might be surprised how much French is spoken in Canada, for example, my daughter advertised in French for a francophone nanny and filled the position that day from a long list of applicants, not in Montreal but in Vancouver. Lots of francophones go around speaking English, even Mandarin, blending with the population, some hide in burquas. You don't notice them. At night, of course, they sneak into your fridge and soften your cheeses.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 29th 2018 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sauspop
Hi
Just my thoughts on this subject, We moved to Kelowna, BC 7 years ago with 2 daughters age 10 and 13 at the time and had all the same worries you have now.
For what its worth both our daughters loved the change and settled straight into the school system. I can only talk for our local area but the teaching style here is so much more laid back than in the UK with no uniforms and a more casual relationship with teachers it was hard for them not to love it. One of my daughters is now in UBCO Uni and the other is in her final grade 12 year and neither speak any more than holiday french now.
When we arrived they spoke more french than any of the kids here so depending obviously where you end up I really wouldn't worry about that I never hear french spoken here in BC.
It is definite a roller coaster ride but looking back well worth the ride.
That's a very cheering story - thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.