Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Wikiposts

Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
Technical/Engineering sector........like I said, in demand skills such as Carpentry make the 'canadian experience' thing less of a factor. I used to work in recruitment too but am now in IT for my sins.

I do agree that if you have less in demand skills, such as 'Admin', then its harder but it also depends on where you move to. Calgary is really pushing ahead again and the employment market will be such that certain skills we be hard to find.
Mmmm hubby super skilled in all things java with 15+ years experience was told last week that he was a 'perfect skills match' for a particular job but they would not recruit him because he has no canadian experience.
Swings and roundabouts though, I got one of first jobs I applied for also IT geek
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just over four years ago,we landed, two kids, dog, no jobs, no house, and here we are well settled now,ony thing i miss really are pasties & clotted cream, although there is some similar stuff here.
Whilst travelling locally the only place that reminded me of Devon & Cornwall, is some parts of Vancouver Island.
Job market is a bit harder now then back then,but it seems to be picking up like the housing market here.
Good luck,our only regret moving was we did not do it earlier.
And the kids didn't want to come here but now never want to go back...
cheers
Jerry

P.S.
Personally being in skilled trades, I never had a problem with canadian experience,it never came up in the interviews,they were only interested in my skills/experience in the trades.
... Touch wood ... but so far have only been out of work during the first three weeks of landing.

Last edited by jerry brewer; Feb 8th 2011 at 11:14 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:57 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo Hoskin
That's so kind. Everyone has been really friendly on here. I'm so glad I found this site. It's putting my mind at rest about lots of the things I was unsure about.

One, of them was, what on earth will we do when we get off the plane, not having anywhere to live and not knowing anyone!!!!
I'm feeling a bit left out in this thread - nearly everyone seems to have come from Cornwall! I was a Surrey girl! I've holidayed in Cornwall - a week in Penzance and a few nights visiting old neighbours at The Lizard (the lighthouse kept me awake ) - does that count?

Anyway, like I said, give us a shout if I can help with anything.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:29 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheThornes
I'm feeling a bit left out in this thread - nearly everyone seems to have come from Cornwall! I was a Surrey girl! I've holidayed in Cornwall - a week in Penzance and a few nights visiting old neighbours at The Lizard (the lighthouse kept me awake ) - does that count?

Anyway, like I said, give us a shout if I can help with anything.
I am not Cornish either....although i have eaten a lot of them pasty things and was based in teh RN in Torpoint.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I am not Cornish either....although i have eaten a lot of them pasty things and was based in teh RN in Torpoint.
I was in Granville Island Market the other day, and a woman pronounced it Cornish 'Pace-tie'. I let it go, but 10 mins later when she was at another stall and stood behind me and said it again, I felt as a Cornish person I had to correct her..it was my civic duty
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

jambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jo Hoskin
Thanks for the advice. We have lots to think about and are really only at the beginning of our journey. This forum has helped so much already.

Why not come over for an exploratory vacation as it would be a real disappointment to go to all the trouble of making the move to Canada only to discover life was better in Cornwall.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
It was also one of the least affected places when the economy took a down turn and is strongly on the up again.
Are you OnTheBoatOut reincarnated? I haven't seen such boosterism without there being a pitch behind it somewhere.

Posters in Calgary like to say that the economy has diversified in the past ten minutes but anyone who's been in Canada for a while has seen pictures of people there sending keys back to the bank because the house was worth less than the mortgage. It's a resource based economy, classic boom and bust, and so there's an element of risk in moving there for anyone with job with no security, such as a building trade. No risk, perhaps, if you think the demand for oil will continue for ever, no cheaper source will be found and environmentalists will never hold sway.

I also think you underestimate the problems immigrants can have due to lack of local experience, there are reams of posts on this site concerning the problem of gaining "Canadian experience", of course it doesn't mean anything but the ability to stomach bad beer, but the lack of it is a barrier to newcomers.

I wouldn't move to another country with multiple dependents and no job to go to. I can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd move to Calgary. I think the OP should visit and think on this idea several times.