Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Wikiposts

Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Jo Hoskin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Cornwall UK to Canada...HELP!

Originally Posted by shazza69
never been to canada at all and although i love cornwall and its very beautiful, while we have the chance of changing our life and trying life in another part of the world we are silly not to take up the chance to. if it fails then we come back and move to a different area from where we are now. my kids are 21 16 17 and 10 and are all very excited about it, i will be leaving my 16 year old behind for 2 years as he wants to finish his apprenticeship before he comes out, so that will be heart wrenching for me..
That's exactly how we feel. We would rather give it a try, than regret it for the rest of our lives.

Our children are a lot younger than yours and although they are excited, its a hell of change for them to deal with. We are just treating it as a big adventure and trying to give them as much info and so them as much stuff as we can. x
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dboy
while I understand the desire for adventure and the need for something different, one needs to be very cautious these days, especially with a family in tow. There is work to consider, housing, the financial costs, lack of family support when emmigrating, new friendships to build etc.....it all takes work and the 'adventure' may quickly sour, with the reality of no work, no friends, no one to mind the kids etc

If one's life is generally good, kids are settled, family ties sound, decent work....i'd think long and hard. Not suggesting it's not the right move to make, but now would be the right time for some real soul searching.

And as noted, Cornwall is beautuiful.
Absolutely, but we have no family ties and no one to 'mind the kids' here. Work is not regular and nowhere near as well paid as my husband used to be, and I do 3 jobs. We are just about making ends meet. There has to be more to life?

And, yes, Cornwall is beautiful, but we are working such long hours, we never get to appreciate it!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo Hoskin
Work is not regular and nowhere near as well paid as my husband used to be, and I do 3 jobs. We are just about making ends meet. There has to be more to life?
I'm sorry, but I have to ask the question - what makes you think it will be any different in Canada? Bear in mind it'll cost you tens of thousands to move over, and find it much tougher to get work without the all important 'Canadian experience'.

Not trying to be negative, but just playing devil's advocate for a mo!

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Absolutely, but we have no family ties and no one to 'mind the kids' here. Work is not regular and nowhere near as well paid as my husband used to be, and I do 3 jobs. We are just about making ends meet. There has to be more to life?

And, yes, Cornwall is beautiful, but we are working such long hours, we never get to appreciate it!
Just wanted to say Hi - we're also in Cornwall (Newquay) and are moving to Nova Scotia, Canada next month. I have been fortunate enough to secure employment from the UK, so we'll be heading out on an LMO/TWP and applying for residency straight away. We haven't looked at any other areas of Canada, so can't help you much with respect to Calgary, but feel free to PM me if you've any questions...

Like you, we have to work all hours to keep our heads above water here and never seem to have the time (or energy) to appreciate the beauty that Cornwall has to offer as a result...

I wish you the best of luck in realising your Canadian dream!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm sorry, but I have to ask the question - what makes you think it will be any different in Canada? Bear in mind it'll cost you tens of thousands to move over, and find it much tougher to get work without the all important 'Canadian experience'.

I would have to second this air of caution though...the risks are far different if you do not have employment pre-arranged. We have waited 7 years to get to a point where everything was in place to make the move to Canada...we were far more comfortable with the long wait than with the idea of moving to a new country with no guarantees...if you have dependent children, then the risks are only increased!

My advice would be to take a trip out to Canada and meet with some prospective employers to get a realistic idea of what opportunities there may be for you before you commit yourself to anything. Go into this with your eyes open...it's a huge move to make and it's best to try and establish all the potential setbacks before you start investing large quantities of your precious time and money....
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JandG
I would have to second this air of caution though...the risks are far different if you do not have employment pre-arranged. We have waited 7 years to get to a point where everything was in place to make the move to Canada...we were far more comfortable with the long wait than with the idea of moving to a new country with no guarantees...if you have dependent children, then the risks are only increased!

My advice would be to take a trip out to Canada and meet with some prospective employers to get a realistic idea of what opportunities there may be for you before you commit yourself to anything. Go into this with your eyes open...it's a huge move to make and it's best to try and establish all the potential setbacks before you start investing large quantities of your precious time and money....
Thanks for the advice. We have lots to think about and are really only at the beginning of our journey. This forum has helped so much already.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. We have lots to think about and are really only at the beginning of our journey. This forum has helped so much already.
Not sure if you are already aware of these shows, but you can meet some useful people and find lots of useful information at the Emigrate 2 shows...there's one in London shortly!

http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/default.htm
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:42 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we're newbies too. Yes Cornwall is lovely, we lived just down the road from you, near Callington (amongst many places) when OH was in RN.

We arrived in Calgary on New Years Day on a TWP and have just moved into a rented house in Airdrie. We have 3 kids 7, 8 and 17, who started school last week.

Although we'd been looking at moving to Canada (Maritimes was initial choice) for nearly 4 years, we had never actually made it out to Calgary prior to hubby's job offer. After very much thought decided there was no way we could live with "what if?"

Come out to Canada (in winter and summer) if you can. Everyone thought we were mad not to visit here first but family commitments, GCSE exams etc meant that was not possible. Research like crazy, save like mad and be prepared for lots of obstacles. You can live your dream if you really want it to happen and don't give up. All the very best in your exciting journey and PM me if you want any info.

PS. We got totally snowed in at my parents in North Devon just before Christmas, but it was no preparation for Albertan winters, minus 27 last week, lol.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:59 am
Banned

NorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really nice

Sorry but in my experience if you have a transferable skill that is in demand then 'Canadian Experience' is not relevent
Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:49 am
Des

Des7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really nice

Hi, I moved to Manitoba (Winnipeg) 4 years ago from Dorset. Winnipeg isn't the prettiest place in the world but the Canadian people are VERY friendly (once you get them out of their cars - their driving habits leave a lot to be desired). I don't regret the move at all - winters are a little chilly & the summers can be a tad extreme (mozzies ) but it is the land of opportunity. All the best with your move...........
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
Sorry but in my experience if you have a transferable skill that is in demand then 'Canadian Experience' is not relevent
The clue is in what you just wrote. Don't assume it is universal.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:48 am
Banned

NorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The clue is in what you just wrote. Don't assume it is universal.
Its not just what happened to me, I came over on an internal transfer, its my wife's (she's a recruiter) professional experience that I am quoting.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
Its not just what happened to me, I came over on an internal transfer, its my wife's (she's a recruiter) professional experience that I am quoting.
Is she dealing with regulated professions or the public sector? These are big sectors of the economy. I only go by what I read on here as I too came on an inter company transfer, however many people with more than adequate skills do not find it easy due to the lack of canadian experience. Working in an office, or "something in IT" is different to being a carpenter, or teacher.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is she dealing with regulated professions or the public sector? These are big sectors of the economy. I only go by what I read on here as I too came on an inter company transfer, however many people with more than adequate skills do not find it easy due to the lack of canadian experience. Working in an office, or "something in IT" is different to being a carpenter, or teacher.
Technical/Engineering sector........like I said, in demand skills such as Carpentry make the 'canadian experience' thing less of a factor. I used to work in recruitment too but am now in IT for my sins.

I do agree that if you have less in demand skills, such as 'Admin', then its harder but it also depends on where you move to. Calgary is really pushing ahead again and the employment market will be such that certain skills we be hard to find.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
while I understand the desire for adventure and the need for something different, one needs to be very cautious these days, especially with a family in tow. There is work to consider, housing, the financial costs, lack of family support when emmigrating, new friendships to build etc.....it all takes work and the 'adventure' may quickly sour, with the reality of no work, no friends, no one to mind the kids etc

If one's life is generally good, kids are settled, family ties sound, decent work....i'd think long and hard. Not suggesting it's not the right move to make, but now would be the right time for some real soul searching.

And as noted, Cornwall is beautuiful.
Wise words my friend, wise words

(and yep I am Cornish)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.