Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving companies that offer temporary storage

Moving companies that offer temporary storage

Old May 29th 2018, 3:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving companies that offer temporary storage

Hi All,

We are considering moving back to Toronto early next year and are currently considering ways to move over our belongings without having an initial address in Canada.

Our plan would most likely be to rent an AirBnB or long stay furnished apartment for 2-3 months while we looked at apartments and condos and then hopefully move into somewhere more long term after that.

Does anyone know of any moving companies who can pick up our stuff from our current flat in the UK and then store it for a few months before delivering it at a later date once we have fixed accomodation? We've been living in a furnished flat for the last few years and therefore wouldn't be shipping a lot but obviously too much to just cram into a couple of suitcases.

Any recommendations would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving companies that offer temporary storage

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Hi All,

We are considering moving back to Toronto early next year and are currently considering ways to move over our belongings without having an initial address in Canada.

Our plan would most likely be to rent an AirBnB or long stay furnished apartment for 2-3 months while we looked at apartments and condos and then hopefully move into somewhere more long term after that.

Does anyone know of any moving companies who can pick up our stuff from our current flat in the UK and then store it for a few months before delivering it at a later date once we have fixed accomodation? We've been living in a furnished flat for the last few years and therefore wouldn't be shipping a lot but obviously too much to just cram into a couple of suitcases.

Any recommendations would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Not quite the same, but I packed up the contents of my house in the UK and stored it at this place - then contacted them and they arranged for shippers to collect it from my unit and ship it over (shared container basis) for me ( I arranged the insurance myself through a broker in Toronto)... I don't know if they will still do this - though they do for Australia / NZ, so may be worth contacting them. Do make sure that you pack your stuff for export, if you decided to go that route.

https://www.bigyellow.co.uk/

Most big international removal companies will store your shipment for you - but at a price... here's a google search for you - perhaps have a look and if there's one or two you think might be possibilities, post the companies and ask if anyone has used them?
Good luck with the move.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 29th 2018 at 4:13 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not quite the same, but I packed up my house in the UK and stored it at this place - then contacted them and they arranged for shippers to come in and send it over for me ( I arranged the insurance myself through a broker in Toronto)... I don't know if they will still do this - though they do for Australia / NZ, so may be worth contacting them. Do make sure that you pack your stuff for export, if you decided to go that route.

https://www.bigyellow.co.uk/

Most big international removal companies will store your shipment for you - but at a price... here's a google search for you - perhaps have a look and if there's one or two you think might be possibilities, post the companies and ask if anyone has used them?
Good luck with the move.

Thanks for the really helpful reply. It's good to know that these services definitely exist since it's one less thing to worry about. I'd want to do this with as little hassle as possible tbh and also without inconveniencing my family too much.

I'll have a look through that Google page and come back with some names based on the quotes they offer. Hopefully other folks on here would have used one or two of them before.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth comparing storage costs in Toronto with the costs in the UK. There are advantages to storing it here as it will be readily available when you find a permanent place, rather than having to wait several weeks for, often unreliable, shipping.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Might be worth comparing storage costs in Toronto with the costs in the UK. There are advantages to storing it here as it will be readily available when you find a permanent place, rather than having to wait several weeks for, often unreliable, shipping.
Thanks, that's definitely something that could work however I would need a way to book the Toronto-based storage from the UK ahead of time and also arrange local delivery to us as neither of us drive. Do you think that would be possible?

I had to sort out a local removal firm in Toronto once via Kijiji and it was a right nightmare.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks, that's definitely something that could work however I would need a way to book the Toronto-based storage from the UK ahead of time and also arrange local delivery to us as neither of us drive. Do you think that would be possible?

I had to sort out a local removal firm in Toronto once via Kijiji and it was a right nightmare.
Contact your shipping company and ask them. Often, UK shippers simply partner with a Canadian company to deliver the Canadian end as regards shipping. It is likely that the Canadian shipper would be fine storing your goods once cleared from customs inspection, either in the original shipping container, or unloading and holding in their storage facilities until you arrange delivery - they will charge of course and you will need additional storage insurance. IIRC someone on this forum did exactly this a year or so ago - can't remember who.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:10 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Contact your shipping company and ask them. Often, UK shippers simply partner with a Canadian company to deliver the Canadian end as regards shipping. It is likely that the Canadian shipper would be fine storing your goods once cleared from customs inspection, either in the original shipping container, or unloading and holding in their storage facilities until you arrange delivery - they will charge of course and you will need additional storage insurance. IIRC someone on this forum did exactly this a year or so ago - can't remember who.
Thanks. I don't mind paying for the service within reason as long as they are honest and reliable.
Old May 30th 2018, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Our goods are currently in transit with Britannia International removals and they can store the items on arrival. The private shipping insurance A Letton Percival also covers up to 90 days storage without any additional charge. If you want anymore details pm me as I have details on storage companies in Toronto.

Last edited by glendem4; May 30th 2018 at 1:19 am.
Old May 30th 2018, 6:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by glendem4
Our goods are currently in transit with Britannia International removals and they can store the items on arrival. The private shipping insurance A Letton Percival also covers up to 90 days storage without any additional charge. If you want anymore details pm me as I have details on storage companies in Toronto.
That would be great, thanks. I've just PM'd you.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 30th 2018 at 8:32 am.