Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Companies

Moving Companies

Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

michelle101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Companies

We've just had three quotes for 20 foot container hertfordshire to Vancouver, full packing and unpacking service.

PSS - £3871
The Moving Partnership - £3991
Anglo Pacific - original quote £4745, came down to £4265

Not decided who to use yet!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Who is the agent Bishops are using in Canada ? Can you not talk to them.?
Yeah if Bishops move'd give me their name or even respond to anything with anything. Its the next step but they need to give me some kind of contact details. A name, anything. I asked them for that on monday, and the last I have is an email saying they 'will respond before the end of closing on friday'...which I'll believe when I see. Standard turnaround on emails is 8-9 days.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

mrindecision is an unknown quantity at this point

So just wondering what companies people have used and if PSS are any good?[/QUOTE]

I can liken PSS to Keystone Kops.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

We used Robinsons International last week - chose them over PSS and 1st move. It's all down to price and personal preference I guess and I didn't particularly like the guy from PSS, thought he was too pushy and felt uncomfortable in my own home.

Have to say, Robinsons removal guys were fantastic, as far as I'm concerned it was a 1st class service (having said that, our stuff is still in storage in Manchester, until we arrive in Canada and find a place to rent), so only half the contract fulfilled at the moment.

Goodluck with whoever you choose - I'm just glad we decided not to go DIY.

Poppit
Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future

poppit - how did you feel about them packing things themselves? did it look all good what they are doing.

I cant decided if i would prefer to pack myself - as i do that for my job at the moment more or less anyways.

Also how do you know how much stuff to put down for pricing your things???

With other companies did you get them to come to your house and see?

I dont have a lot of things mostly cds,dvds, books, only taking out a small book shelf a chair and have about 12 boxes full of things maybe more. SO not sure what to do really.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi louiseeg

I got them to come round and give me a quote.

You can leave clothes / bedding / towels in chest of drawers / bed side cabinets to utilise space - they are quite happy for you to do this. Leave clothes in wardrobes on hangers, they come with wardrobe boxes so you don't need to re-iron at the other end. Left crockery, and cutlery etc on kitchen worktops for packing.

We packed confidential paperwork / documents in a plastic box, these were packed straight into boxes no questions asked.

They dismantled furniture, beds etc. We did not feel they were intruding, they just ask what's going and what's not, then get on with it. I have to say I was impressed with their work and pleased I used a removal company to do the packing. In my opinion it was well worth the money.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Poppit
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:24 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Yeah if Bishops move'd give me their name or even respond to anything with anything. Its the next step but they need to give me some kind of contact details. A name, anything. I asked them for that on monday, and the last I have is an email saying they 'will respond before the end of closing on friday'...which I'll believe when I see. Standard turnaround on emails is 8-9 days.
If you are not getting anywhere with them contact www.fidi.com.

I am sure Bishops are affiliated to FIDI