Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Companies

Moving Companies

Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future
Default Moving Companies

Ok, i know i havent got my PR through yet or anything, but i kind of want to be organized. (i have been putting off doing this, as im scared for some reason it means i wont get my PR....eeek (i know thats stupid))

So just wondering what companies people have used and if PSS are any good?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving Companies

Do you want somebody to come and do it all for you?

If cost is an issue, you can save a lot by packing yourself and hiring somebody to organize the shipping. This is what we did, Leeds to Fall River NS for approx 2300UKP.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

louiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant futurelouiseeg has a brilliant future

Oh ok cool. I havent got lots of things to pack - so i could do it myself.

Which company did you use?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I can recommend Centenary Shipping.

Give Don a call 01274 851805, he's really nice and knows a LOT about the shipping business.

Mention Jason, he'll know ;-)

(and no, I don't get a kick back sadly, I'm just super happy with the level of service we received)

Good luck :-)
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

LandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant future

Looking at companies too, we had it almost arranged to go with Pickfords but the guy we got the quote from etc. is no longer with the company. We have been passed on to a new person so hoping they will get back to us soon.

Had some super quick emails from the moving partnership just waiting on a final quote from them before we decide. A few other companies we have contacted haven't yet got back to us after a few days so not sure if we would be happy with that level of communication.

The pro for packing yourself is that you get more stuff into the volume and it works out cheaper the con is that there is a slightly higher chance that customs will go through things which might incur more costs.

hope this helps L and C

P.S we are shipping from near Hamilton Scotland to Cambridge ON. with 60 square foot of belongings.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid Bishops Move. We're potentially looking at having to take them to court.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:15 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Brytor here in Canada. They recommended a UK company to pack us up and they dealt with it all once it got to Canada. They were excellent, nothing was too much trouble for them, the guys unpacked us, put things where I wanted them to go then took all the rubbish away with them.

www.brytor.ca
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

cool, thank you guys. I dont have too much stuff, so hopefully it wont cost loads to do, and im only going from in surrey, uk to fredericton nb.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

fraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nice

Bishops Move from UK (Hertfordshire) to Victoria were reasonably priced and very professional, packed at one end and unpacked at the other!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser...then I'd love to know who within that company was your contact as the people I'm dealing with? won't respond within a week on emails, repacked my goods without a packing list to go with it (so I have no idea how many boxes to expect) and now expect me to come to vancouver to sign stuff in so they can ship it to calgary ...a mere 20 hour drive or so from Lethbridge! That was never part of the agreement!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:07 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Fraser...then I'd love to know who within that company was your contact as the people I'm dealing with? won't respond within a week on emails, repacked my goods without a packing list to go with it (so I have no idea how many boxes to expect) and now expect me to come to vancouver to sign stuff in so they can ship it to calgary ...a mere 20 hour drive or so from Lethbridge! That was never part of the agreement!
Who is the agent Bishops are using in Canada ? Can you not talk to them.?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:01 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS, no complaints at all, fab service from end to end, paid just over £3000 for sole use 20ft container, they did everything, I didnt pack one box, they wrapped, packed, loaded, unloaded and unpacked all big items at this end.

This was Dorset to NS
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that it's more expensive to ship your goods to Calgary than Nova Scotia. We were going to use the same company as Spaceace (lovely guy), however, it was £1100 more to ship it to Calgary. In addition to this, as a self move you are responsible for the taxes, customs fees and transporting your goods to their final destination. For us personally there was not much difference between doing a DIY move and bringing in a firm. We eventually decided on Robinsons, they were superb. Did get a quote from PSS they were dearer than Robinsons and I thought the sales guy was extremely pushy.

Poppit
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:43 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
Just be aware that it's more expensive to ship your goods to Calgary than Nova Scotia. We were going to use the same company as Spaceace (lovely guy), however, it was £1100 more to ship it to Calgary. In addition to this, as a self move you are responsible for the taxes, customs fees and transporting your goods to their final destination. For us personally there was not much difference between doing a DIY move and bringing in a firm. We eventually decided on Robinsons, they were superb. Did get a quote from PSS they were dearer than Robinsons and I thought the sales guy was extremely pushy.

Poppit
its weird how they all vary, PSS were £1000 cheaper than Robinsons when we got quotes in, definitely worth getting a few quotes and then haggling the price
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

fraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nice

Caitilin it was through a small family firm in Luton that carry the Bishops name in a franchise arrangement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.