Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:00 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Hi all, dh is hoping to head back to Canada soon and will be working and sending cash back to uk to support me and the kids plus we will be saving cash in Canada to finance the ping pong back there early next year.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable reliable and cheap way of sending money home electronically, probably fortnightly.
We have barclays in uk and used scotia bank in Canada but they charged an arm and a leg in commission and exchange rate was awful! This will be small but regular. Personal recommendations please thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:29 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Surely someone mussend cash to the uk? Anyone? Thanks.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Electronic bank transfers? Western Union?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

vbm30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been contacted by TorFX through Pickfords and they seem to offer the right service for this. I'll be needing to do the same soon.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 11th 2012 at 1:16 pm. Reason: url removed
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There are dozens of firms that do this. Our FX is done by Western Union Business Solutions. Not all is what it seems with FX companies, they all charge a fee for service (they are a business not charity), some blend it into the rate, others give a better rate and charge a fee. Unless you're talking hundreds of thousands, the slight variation in rate will be unnoticeable. Rates vary by the second, so shopping around, the rate could change in the time you pick up the phone. Find a company you trust and like to work with and stick with them.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would stay away from companies like the Hells Angels, The Mafia (Italian, Russian & Mexican) and any of the Cartels. Their rates might be attractive but Im sure they are not 100% legitimate
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the cheapest ways of transferring money Canada/UK or vise-versa is by paypal.
Have an account set up in each country linked to bank accounts, just transfer, save a fortune on the likes of Western Union etc.
With the BMO here, I can wire to any bank account worldwide any amount for a flat fee of $25, again a big saving on WU and the likes.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
One of the cheapest ways of transferring money Canada/UK or vise-versa is by paypal.
Have an account set up in each country linked to bank accounts, just transfer, save a fortune on the likes of Western Union etc.
With the BMO here, I can wire to any bank account worldwide any amount for a flat fee of $25, again a big saving on WU and the likes.
For large amounts the paypal exchange rate premium means a bank transfer is more cost efficient, but for small sums paypal is OK. Its certainly convenient.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:38 am
finally together...

Hadn't even thought of paypal! Thanks for that I love the convenience factor (plus I already know how to use it!) it will be a couple of grand a month, to pay bills etc, will check their rates against others. Don't fancy using a broker without someone saying " we used xxx and they helped us loads" weve already been had over by trusting things you get in writing, I want personal reccomendations now before I risk a penny!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Hadn't even thought of paypal! Thanks for that I love the convenience factor (plus I already know how to use it!) it will be a couple of grand a month, to pay bills etc, will check their rates against others. Don't fancy using a broker without someone saying " we used xxx and they helped us loads" weve already been had over by trusting things you get in writing, I want personal reccomendations now before I risk a penny!
I use Western Union Business Solutions (Custom House) all the time, the rate is competitive and fees built into the FX. Never had a problem and they handle a lot of our money.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For a couple of grand, paypals 1 or 2% premium on bank rates probably means using paying the $25 fee for a regular bank swift transfer is better value. A Fx house may be better yet.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

If u have 50k sterling open an hsbc premier account. You can then have sterling, can$ us on the same page and move between accounts with a mouse at a couple of pips off market rates.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheBear
If u have 50k sterling open an hsbc premier account. You can then have sterling, can$ us on the same page and move between accounts with a mouse at a couple of pips off market rates.
Hello.

We have been sending cash back to the UK regularly for a few years and found our main bank (Scotia) to be the best overall experience (cost/fees/reliability etc.)
Though we always use Halo to move cash from the UK to Canada.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheBear
This,if you are doing regular transfers
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:16 am
finally together...

*psst* if I had £50k I wouldn't be in chuffing England, I've got an open work permit I'd be back there cleaning floors and living off savings. Will check out scotia-barclays rates, but they told me there was no commission and then charged me a wedge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.