Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada -we have no house to sell?

Moving to Canada -we have no house to sell?

Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada -we have no house to sell?

Originally Posted by acer rose
There should be a big difference between a year's salary and a year's worth of funds for minimum spending. The latter does not include setting anything by for pension, birthday/Christmas gifts, trips out, holidays, etc.
Completely agree - but I should perhaps clarify that when I say we will have six months living costs 'just in case', I do mean costs for everything, not minimum funds.

Originally Posted by acer rose
Depending on province, a good contract might only mean a week or so notice if the job goes sour.
Our good contract that I referred to earlier (and that I'm assuming you're referring to here?) is actually with a UK company so isn't province dependent.

I also agree with your assessment that those that have been waiting to get PR via FSW or similar will have had longer to plan and save, others (like us) that are going via a TWP are perhaps in slightly different circumstances.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you saying that even for those that have jobs lined up they need at least a years money in savings? I'm assuming your comment was directed at Jackie (as you mention furniture, and as I said previously we're shipping ours) but just wanted to clarify for the sake of others reading. And why are you shouting at me when others have suggested it's ok to move over with $5k - shout at them instead!!
You seem to be hypersensitive... I just tried to be louder so that people get it that six months is not enough. It depends on what kind of monthly budget is assumed. Having a job helps. Having a furniture - slightly. We've spent several hundred to get the first things and got few things from junk. It's not our first move and we do know how to cope. But I heard a lot of stories about those who go on a shopping spree and then hit the wall. Most of those who got a job here in three months will call it luck. Six months is more realistic but again, read the news.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
You seem to be hypersensitive... I just tried to be louder so that people get it that six months is not enough. It depends on what kind of monthly budget is assumed. Having a job helps. Having a furniture - slightly. We've spent several hundred to get the first things and got few things from junk. It's not our first move and we do know how to cope. But I heard a lot of stories about those who go on a shopping spree and then hit the wall. Most of those who got a job here in three months will call it luck. Six months is more realistic but again, read the news.
Not hypersensitive at all - note the exclamation points indicating I was joking. It was a tongue in cheek remark, I didn't really think you were 'shouting' at me! I do understand your point but was slightly unsure as to whether it was aimed at me (and if so, why when I'd already said we were taking furniture, had a safe job to go to, and were taking six months worth of living costs, plus $10k for set up costs and another $4k or so for emergency flights home).

I just didn't really understand why you thought we needed a years worth of money, and so was just trying to clarify your point for others reading, and trying to work out what circumstances you were talking about (i.e. those going on TWP's to jobs, like me and Jackie, or those going via PR with no work lined up etc). I was just trying to understand who you thought should take a years worth of money with them.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 20th 2008 at 9:34 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

I also agree with your assessment that those that have been waiting to get PR via FSW or similar will have had longer to plan and save, others (like us) that are going via a TWP are perhaps in slightly different circumstances.
Yes, it's different. There is at least one guy here on the forum who lost his job being on a TWP (it's almost always tied to one particular company). I've been through that in another country and when things got settled and I wiped out my sweat from frantic job searching I said "never again TWP" and applied for PR.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, it's different. There is at least one guy here on the forum who lost his job being on a TWP (it's almost always tied to one particular company). I've been through that in another country and when things got settled and I wiped out my sweat from frantic job searching I said "never again TWP" and applied for PR.
Completely agree - although again, it does depend on the TWP and company. I've seen lots of cases on here where job offers have been withdrawn recently, but there are others, like ours, where it's as safe as can possibly be and where we're covered by a good contract.

Don't automatically assume that being on a TWP is a more precarious proposition (although I agree it is in most cases) - we're probably better off than those who are going via PR and trying to find a job at the moment!!

Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Completely agree - although again, it does depend on the TWP and company. I've seen lots of cases on here where job offers have been withdrawn recently, but there are others, like ours, where it's as safe as can possibly be and where we're covered by a good contract.
I'm sure you understood what I meant and I definitely wish you only luck and don't want to scare you. The negative side of TWP is not that the job offer can be withdrawn - this can happen before the move, but that the job can be gone when you feel everything is okay. It's just that I lived, having a family, for several years on a TWP, when if anything happens, you'll hear you have to leave in X days if you find no job, which is not a pleasant "background" prospect, and I've heard an official telling me this, which is not a pleasant thing either, and this memory is still alive - that was during previous slowdown.

Well, after all, if you have a visa waiver as a UK citizen, you can go to US for a day and reenter and no one will kick you out.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sure you understood what I meant and I definitely wish you only luck and don't want to scare you. The negative side of TWP is not that the job offer can be withdrawn - this can happen before the move, but that the job can be gone when you feel everything is okay. It's just that I lived, having a family, for several years on a TWP, when if anything happens, you'll hear you have to leave in X days if you find no job, which is not a pleasant "background" prospect, and I've heard an official telling me this, which is not a pleasant thing either, and this memory is still alive - that was during previous slowdown.
I do understand what you mean and don't worry, you haven't scared me - I very much doubt that the job will go when we're there either.

Hubby was headhunted for it, all of our moving fees (from vets fees for cats to estate agency fees for renting house) are being paid for so it's costing the company in region of £20k to send us out there, plus if they make hubby redundant or sack him they not only have to pay all our repatriation costs but also compensation (one years salary).

Hence why I've said not everybody going on a TWP is in the same situation, we're lucky enough to be an awful lot safer than most. I do understand why you urge people to be cautious and I'm normally extra cautious too (in fact, as you can see from what we're taking despite our safe job offer & contract, still am!).

Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

..... plus if they make hubby redundant or sack him they not only have to pay all our repatriation costs but also compensation (one years salary).
Oufff. Not everyone has this kind of hubby who can get this kind of security. Don't tell that detail any female. My own wife would be most likely jealous of you.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oufff. Not everyone has this kind of hubby who can get this kind of security. Don't tell that detail any female. My own wife would be most likely jealous of you.
Oh, I know we're very lucky. Thank goodness I married a geek! And tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, 6 years.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately no-one can see the future, and I'm not convinced one can plan fully for the future. Money can certainly help but only to a certain extent. There are so many other nasty situations that can enter our lives that no amount of money can resolve. Sometimes we have to lead with our heart but must understand the risks involved by so doing. When I came 43 years ago "reccies" were not an option for most people so almost everyone arrived with no knowledge of the country and its nuances. So much more info is available today with sites like BE and the internet in general. Back then jobs seemed plentiful and it was a totally different employment market/rules. I have absolutely no regrets about coming here. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. Some hate it here, most seem to like it. With her attitude Jackie will do just fine.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:43 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

A minimum of 6 months finances??

You're having a laugh. As already mentioned, we came here with about $5000 cash and are doing fine. It'd be completely different if I didnt have a job to come to, but you'll seriously have people paranoid if you tell them they need tens of thousands of pounds. You dont.

To anyone slightly perturbed by some of the comments, I'm here with my wife and 2 kids (one is 3, the other 20 months). We live in a nice house in sherwood park, have a new car (financed, with nothing down), and eat out fairly regularly. I'm earning a decent enough wage ($70k) and the wife stays at home to look after the girls. Do I wish I had more money? Sure. Are we coping on what we have? You betcha.
We shipped most of our furniture from the UK, but then had to buy certain things when we arrived (TV, hoover, kettle etc). Things were tight until my first pay cheque, but we made it work.
We'll have to save up for holidays etc, but we had to do that in the UK, so there's no difference.
We got away with having to put down many deposits, as the landlord (a british bloke) set up everything for when we arrived, then added us a 2nd name on the account.
Happy to share our experiences with anyone who's interested. Been here since end of August and really happy with the move.

Enough money to last 6 months?? You're living in a different world mate.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:22 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

Hi Jericho

I think my husband and I will be coming over to canada with the same funds, we wont be able to buy a house (as I am assuming you have) but I am hoping that things will fall in place as nicely as they have done for you. WELL DONE MATE!! please send us loads of positive vibes!!

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:24 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

.......Actually if any at all after we have finished paying fees such as PR, Medicals, Police Checks, flights bla bla, if we didnt have to pay for oxygen along the way, we'd be loaded!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
Hi Jericho

I think my husband and I will be coming over to canada with the same funds, we wont be able to buy a house (as I am assuming you have) but I am hoping that things will fall in place as nicely as they have done for you. WELL DONE MATE!! please send us loads of positive vibes!!

We're renting too. Didnt want to commit to a mortgage until we get PR and know we're gonna stay in Alberta. Victoria Island is appealing to us at the moment. The winters in Edmonton are just too cold!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree - but I should perhaps clarify that when I say we will have six months living costs 'just in case', I do mean costs for everything, not minimum funds.

Our good contract that I referred to earlier (and that I'm assuming you're referring to here?) is actually with a UK company so isn't province dependent.

That's an interesting one. Without wading through your previous posts, how do you obtain a TWP to work in Canada for a UK employer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.