Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada to practise law? Is it realistic?

Moving to Canada to practise law? Is it realistic?

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:43 am
Just Joined

BristolStudent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada to practise law? Is it realistic?

So, I’ve looked into all the requirements, the various law societies’ criteria, the NCA, licensing, articling, costs... it seems qualifying in Canada (or at least in Toronto) is a laborious and financially-draining endeavour.

Where I am: I’m in the U.K. and I’ve finished a conversion masters in Law at the University of Bristol (a two-year intensive QLD); and I’m currently completing my LPC part-time. I’ve had no loans so this has been funded by working two jobs and a scholarship by the Law Society. I have just over two years paralegal experience, currently working in Crown Court crime.

I have read countless articles, blog posts, threads on the topic of qualifying in Canada and honestly I’m in total despair. Not really for the academic hurdles to jump through (I’ve just accepted those), but more so the actual legal work and if it’s available for foreign lawyers. I’m so keen to get an NCA assessment but reading everything I have thus far inspires nothing but anxiety and hopelessness.

Oroginally, my plan was to go over and clerk or perform a legal assistant role and save for the NCA examinations but am I correct in thinking they are reserved for certificate-holders? I know paralegalling is a licensed profession and not an option (it is money I just can’t spend). Even with an NCA certificate of qualification, can one be hired for these legal assistant roles? Even if I theoretically could be, is the Canadian legal market welcoming to Brits? From what I’ve read.... it seems that we’re seen as second-rate and that employers tend to hire more locally. I’m sure this isn’t quite true but you’ll forgive me for thinking that after reading several damning articles on the topic.

Then of course comes the question of articling. I don’t even know where to begin. It just looks impossible for a foreigner to article (well, very very difficult). I see many qualify here in England and Wales and have decades of experience before going over and even they struggle. I’m not even qualified and as such feel very very pessimistic about it all. I’m up for a challenge - of course - but I need to be realistic if I’m going to save and commit thousands in the hope of one day becoming qualified. My question is just does it happen? Would I be taken seriously once I obtained my accreditation? Would I have any chance of articling /do non-Canadians have good prospects for article training? Is this just one big pipe dream and the chances of making it work are as slim as they say?

If anyone could shed light below or PM me I’d be so grateful. I know this reads pretty frantically, apologies in advanced. I just don’t know what to think.

Many thanks,

J.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada to practise law? Is it realistic?

There's a long thread on this subject here somewhere. I'll get a clerk to have a butcher's for it.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

NCA Exams

searching for NCA turns up many threads so there may be a more pertinent one.

Something really quite odd is that the summer waitress at the bar local to here, rural Ontario, is taking Canadian law at a university in, or near, Leicester. Apparently the law schools in Canada are full. My daughter, who's a lawyer here, told me that getting into law school, in Canada, was less of a problem than getting a first placement after that. Apparently it's not uncommon for people to get a law degree but not be able to find a job. Still, I suppose if you have no student debt, it could be a lucrative line of work.

Why do you want to work in Canada?

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 23rd 2019 at 1:19 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:10 am
Just Joined

BristolStudent is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33

searching for NCA turns up many threads so there may be a more pertinent one.

Something really quite odd is that the summer waitress at the bar local to here, rural Ontario, is taking Canadian law at a university in, or near, Leicester. Apparently the law schools in Canada are full. My daughter, who's a lawyer here, told me that getting into law school, in Canada, was less of a problem than getting a first placement after that. Apparently it's not uncommon for people to get a law degree but not be able to find a job. Still, I suppose if you have no student debt, it could be a lucrative line of work.

Why do you want to work in Canada?
Firstly, thank you very much for the link and replying! Yes, Leicester is an extremely popular course for the Canadians here (25% of their cohort are Canadian). Similarly, my course must have been some 50% Canadians!

I guess it’s just an issue of being transferable. I have some good experience of paralegalling here (the role is effectively the same as in Ontario, but I don’t have to be licensed) but it doesn’t seem enough to clerk or provide legal assistance! Do you practise law?

As with many others, Canada has just always been a bit of a dream. It just seems so rich with natural beauty and culture. I presume you’re an ex-pat, too? Why did you move over?

Thanks - J.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolStudent
. I presume you’re an ex-pat, too? Why did you move over?

Thanks - J.
Yes. I was married to a francophone and we thought French was spoken in Canada.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was because they put cheese curds on their chips I mean French fries and the Cinnamon flavoured Beaver Tails.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I thought it was because they put cheese curds on their chips I mean French fries and the Cinnamon flavoured Beaver Tails.
I don't know what a Beaver Tail is, so no.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 4:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't know what a Beaver Tail is, so no.
1. Mostly Ontario treat, deep fried dough, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Best eaten after skating on the Rideau canal.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 7:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Mostly Ontario treat, deep fried dough, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Best eaten after skating on the Rideau canal.
Sounds like the whole menu at Tim Horton's. No, thank you.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

I am an English Solictor currently in Canada and going through the NCAs. The exams are manageable, so don't worry about that. It's getting articles that is the challenge.

As a law graduate who is not yet a qualified lawyer, I'd say you have little to lose. Apply for a IEC visa and see how you do here (look at other complementary career paths that can offer you some experience). Uk employers value overseas experience so if you decide to return, you will be no worse off.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

My son thinks the same. He often tries to strike up any random person in a French conversation only to discover they haven't a clue what he is saying.

Sadly if he were to go to Quebec they'd do the same but for different reasons.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by rawsalad
My son thinks the same. He often tries to strike up any random person in a French conversation only to discover they haven't a clue what he is saying.

Sadly if he were to go to Quebec they'd do the same but for different reasons.
I now know quite a bit about French in Canada. We expected Montreal, lots of people speaking either or both English and French. It's not like that in Ontario or Vancouver but French is a useful skill in either location and there are francophones everywhere.

UBC, for example, participates in French language moot courts.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 2:28 am
Just Joined

lfc21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I am a Brit currently going through the NCA process. Having moved here about 6 months after getting my LLB from the UK. The way I am currently tackling it is by working as a legal assistant, which you do not need a certificate for. I have 8 exams which is annoyingly large, but we basically end up with more as opposed to our Canadian counterparts because they would have studied a degree before their LLB. Though you may expect less because of the LPC.

Anyway, I would say getting a role takes a lot of applications and I think networking is fundamental. However, I believe once you are in and keen to show your worth, firms are willing to assist because keeping talent that is already at the firm is a benefit for them! I really did have similar thoughts to yourself during the build up to my move and the first part of my time here but as the time has gone on and more discussions have happened I have a better feeling that articling will become a reality once I complete my accreditation.

Happy to try answer any questions you might have, honestly, I know where you are at!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

lawyers in canada can take seven years to qualify. Not the same. Also we don't have "lawyer" and "advocat" differential that they do in UK with different training time frames. The fact that you can become a lawyer in less than three university years in the uk baffles me.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
lawyers in canada can take seven years to qualify. Not the same. Also we don't have "lawyer" and "advocat" differential that they do in UK with different training time frames. The fact that you can become a lawyer in less than three university years in the uk baffles me.
A law degree in Canada is usually three years, you'd have to fail quite a few exams to stretch it to seven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.