British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Canada as a nurse or skilled worker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-canada-nurse-skilled-worker-925641/)

HandmadeRN Jun 11th 2019 9:00 am

Moving to Canada as a nurse or skilled worker

Hi,

I'm at the investigating stage of moving to Canada... I'm a British trained nurse that now works in electronic patient record configuration. Technically, I think I could get to Canada either using my nursing skills or as a skilled worker (apparently i'm an information systems analyst) i'm just wondering which go for to be honest.

Which one is the best route? I was thinking of going down the nursing route as getting registration in Canada means I would then also be eligible for US nursing registration. But it's quite a lengthy protracted and expensive process to get registration. I've also heard that good Canadian nursing jobs are quite difficult to get into because of unions, is this right? Also, I'm not sure I necessarily need my nursing registration anymore in order to do my current job, i think it helps but it's not crucial.

However conversely if i go down the route of using my IT analyst skills, I'm wondering how easy it would be to get a job in the role that I want. I'm not sure how in demand my specific role is or if it's a job that is a visa sponsorship type of job (I'm certified in a specific electronic patient record software called Epic). What is the best way of finding this out?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

christmasoompa Jun 11th 2019 9:07 am

Re: Moving to Canada as a nurse or skilled worker

It doesn't matter which occupation you use for your application, once you get to Canada you will have PR and can work in either (or retire, study, set up your own business etc). As long as you score enough and meet the other criteria for a Federal Skilled Worker (pass the medical, proof of funds, etc), then just apply using either occupation as both are classed as skilled.

HTH, good luck.

HandmadeRN Jun 11th 2019 9:21 am

Thanks for the super quick reply! That was really helpful! :thumb:

christmasoompa Jun 11th 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12696403)
Thanks for the super quick reply! That was really helpful! :thumb:

No probs. You may find your current role easier to apply under just because it'll be easier to get proof of it, make sure you choose the NOC that definitely fits the role best, whichever that may be. You must do at least half of the 'main duties' listed under that NOC as part of your daily job, and you must also meet the criteria in the opening paragraph of it.

Then double check your CRS score to make sure you're scoring enough, get your IELTS booked and your ECA ordered, and away you go!

Best of luck.

Oakvillian Jun 11th 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12696395)
Hi,

I'm at the investigating stage of moving to Canada... I'm a British trained nurse that now works in electronic patient record configuration. Technically, I think I could get to Canada either using my nursing skills or as a skilled worker (apparently i'm an information systems analyst) i'm just wondering which go for to be honest.

Which one is the best route? I was thinking of going down the nursing route as getting registration in Canada means I would then also be eligible for US nursing registration. But it's quite a lengthy protracted and expensive process to get registration. I've also heard that good Canadian nursing jobs are quite difficult to get into because of unions, is this right? Also, I'm not sure I necessarily need my nursing registration anymore in order to do my current job, i think it helps but it's not crucial.

However conversely if i go down the route of using my IT analyst skills, I'm wondering how easy it would be to get a job in the role that I want. I'm not sure how in demand my specific role is or if it's a job that is a visa sponsorship type of job (I'm certified in a specific electronic patient record software called Epic). What is the best way of finding this out?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

I had a short consulting gig in the electronic health records/diagnostic imaging shared services space a few years ago. In Ontario at least (other provinces may vary) this is possibly a good area to look at, as there's a never-ending amount of work to be done. With the Provincial government about to radically restructure the LHIN (Local Health Information Network) system and likely set up an entirely different structure of IT shared services delivery as a result, there'll be IT analyst roles aplenty in the EHR realm for years to come. That's at the hospital level - the picture's a bit different for primary care providers as practices (whether individual doctors or group practices) are pretty much self-sufficient when it comes to IT infrastructure, so there's a very fragmented market in EHR solutions that don't always play nicely with whatever is used at the next tier up the chain. Again, plenty of opportunity for IT types to find a niche there!

Caveat, though: my direct experience was short-lived and half a dozen years ago now - as I'm sure you're aware, the landscape shifts quickly.

From everything written on past threads about the hoops nurses have to jump through (in time, money and frustrating bureaucracy) to register with the Ontario College, it may be much easier to get over here using your IT Analyst skills then get back into the nursing stuff once you are (a) here and (b) earning money!

Silverdragon102 Jun 11th 2019 4:41 pm

Getting registered in Canada as a nurse will not mean you will get registration as a nurse in the US. 2 different countries with different requirements. Depending on when you trained as many British nurses find they are deficit in certain hours both clinical and theory

scilly Jun 11th 2019 5:13 pm

From a previous post ................ are you intending to use Canada as a stepping stone to the US?

It doesn't quite work that way, it is not always easier to get into the US.

Tirytory Jun 11th 2019 6:22 pm

When was the last time you worked clinically? How are you maintaining nursing registration in the UK? I just ask as these questions are relevant to the nursing process in provinces in Canada.

HandmadeRN Jun 12th 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 12696580)
Getting registered in Canada as a nurse will not mean you will get registration as a nurse in the US. 2 different countries with different requirements. Depending on when you trained as many British nurses find they are deficit in certain hours both clinical and theory

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12696602)
From a previous post ................ are you intending to use Canada as a stepping stone to the US?

It doesn't quite work that way, it is not always easier to get into the US.

Thank you for the above - don't worry, I am actually pretty well versed about the nursing requirements for both US and Canada and do realise they are separate processes. I wouldn't say I'm using Canada as a stepping stone more that i'd like to keep my options open.

HandmadeRN Jun 12th 2019 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12696522)
From everything written on past threads about the hoops nurses have to jump through (in time, money and frustrating bureaucracy) to register with the Ontario College, it may be much easier to get over here using your IT Analyst skills then get back into the nursing stuff once you are (a) here and (b) earning money!

Exactly what i've been thinking! I'd always thought that it would be nursing registration that got me a visa or permanent residency somewhere so I was pleasantly surprised to find that what i'm currently working in is also in demand!

christmasoompa Jun 12th 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by HandmadeRN (Post 12697254)
Exactly what i've been thinking! I'd always thought that it would be nursing registration that got me a visa or permanent residency somewhere so I was pleasantly surprised to find that what i'm currently working in is also in demand!

Just to say, having an eligible occupation for a FSW app doesn’t mean it’s in demand. Tens of thousands of jobs qualify for that visa, including those where people have very little chance of finding a job in that field once they get to Canada. Getting a visa and getting a job are two completely different things. Of course, your role may be highly sought after, but just wanted to clarify that a FSW occupation doesn’t mean it’s in demand.

Edit - just looked it up on Job Bank for you - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/22491/ca A reasonable amount of jobs, seems some roles are regulated in some provinces so do double check that too.

HTH.

HandmadeRN Jun 12th 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 12696641)
When was the last time you worked clinically? How are you maintaining nursing registration in the UK? I just ask as these questions are relevant to the nursing process in provinces in Canada.

I'm currently registered in the UK. Technically, haven't been in a hands on clinical role for 2 years. I suppose what I do is a bit of a grey area in itself in terms of nursing registration. As I work in EPR configuration, I would argue that it's nursing informatics which is a branch of nursing.