Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada with a French Bulldog on a boat via US?!

Moving to Canada with a French Bulldog on a boat via US?!

Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada with a French Bulldog on a boat via US?!

Originally Posted by webtap89
Hi, yes we meet all of the prerequisites for sponsorship...the main one being you must be able to prove you have been living together for at least 12 months, but it does not have to be within Canada. We have been living together for five years, but we were travelling and working overseas for most of that so did not have a fixed address until early 2017.

Haha yes, he is rather monstrous! It's proving to be very difficult in figuring out how to get him over the pond, there is no way I would even consider checking him as baggage. He actually fits in the suggested approved airline carriers quite comfortably, its just the weight that is the issue. I have read on forums that some staff at the check in didn't even weigh some peoples dogs, and others were overly strict, so I guess it all depends on the agent on the day.

It seems my only option is the Queen Mary 2 crossing from Southampton to New York, and then take my chances with US immigration. Scary prospect.
Welcome to BE!

You can't just "move to Canada", unfortunately.

Please note that whilst you may meet the requirements to be sponsored as a common-law spouse, you would be risking a lot to enter Canada in the hope of applying "Inland" for Permanent Residency. You could and most likely would be denied entry as you are not a bona-fide visitor and would have no ties to your country of residence - such as a job, a property, college /uni etc. Do please read the link as it has pertinent information..

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...ng_Dual_Intent

IF your c-m partner sponsored you NOW as an "Outland" application - and they received Sponsorship approval PRIOR to you coming to Canada, you could enter Canada under Dual Intent, quite legally and without recourse.

Agh! Ignore all that - i just re-read your posts and you anticipate having PR PRIOR to moving to Canada! I do apologise!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2018 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

webtap89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

You can't just "move to Canada", unfortunately.

Please note that whilst you may meet the requirements to be sponsored as a common-law spouse, you would be risking a lot to enter Canada in the hope of applying "Inland" for Permanent Residency. You could and most likely would be denied entry as you are not a bona-fide visitor and would have no ties to your country of residence - such as a job, a property, college /uni etc. Do please read the link as it has pertinent information..

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...ng_Dual_Intent

IF your c-m partner sponsored you NOW as an "Outland" application - and they received Sponsorship approval PRIOR to you coming to Canada, you could enter Canada under Dual Intent, quite legally and without recourse.

Agh! Ignore all that - i just re-read your posts and you anticipate having PR PRIOR to moving to Canada! I do apologise!

Hi, thank you for the welcome

Yes, we have researched extensively into the 'inland' vs 'outland' sponsorships, and the 'outland' is by far the best option for us. We have begun the paperwork and will be submitting shortly, and we are both working now to save up some extra funds while the application is processed over the coming months.... I believe the application time is up to 12 months, but I have heard of variations anywhere from 3-18 months, so I guess we shall have to wait and see! We are aiming to hopefully move out in the first half of 2019 if all goes well.

Has anyone had any recent experience with the 'outland' spousal partnerships? How long after you submitted everything did you receive your PR status?
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we have researched extensively into the 'inland' vs 'outland' sponsorships, and the 'outland' is by far the best option for us. We have begun the paperwork and will be submitting shortly, and we are both working now to save up some extra funds while the application is processed over the coming months.... I believe the application time is up to 12 months, but I have heard of variations anywhere from 3-18 months, so I guess we shall have to wait and see! We are aiming to hopefully move out in the first half of 2019 if all goes well.

Has anyone had any recent experience with the 'outland' spousal partnerships? How long after you submitted everything did you receive your PR status?
Please see the spousal sponsorship via London tracking spreadsheet in my signature line below for 'real world' timelines. I would be happy to add you if you want once you have sent yours in. I suspect 7 - 10 months overall would be your timescale.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you did your due diligence - well done for looking into it properly, rather than grasping at straws

Do bear in mind that if it's your plan to do a normal landing trip you will only have your COPR - you won't receive your PR card until later - when exactly depending on whether you have given an address in Canada at the time of landing, or if you have to defer and inform them of an address later. It usually takes around 8 weeks or so if given at time of landing (photos permitting!).

If you are doing a 'soft' landing - i.e., landing only to validate your COPR to become a PR but then returning to the UK/where ever shortly after and therefore unable to give a residential address in Canada - you will need to get a Permanent Resident Travel Document in order to return to Canada (unless you come via private vehicle across the US border).

If you aven't already submitted your application I would recommend grabbing a cuppa or a bevvy and reading through the most excellent articles in the Wiki on Spousal Sponsorship - written by Schnookololy and added to by various members who have been through the process. There's some very helpful info about filling out the forms, what documentary evidence will be required, how the Citizen can show proof of intent to return, etc... with links to both the official website and helpful posts on BE.

Actually, regarding 'intent to return' - I would recommend NOT putting down a specific date of intended return ( - as if it's past the date that PR is approved you could get refused for not being able to comply with the requirement to return) - just put down that the intention is to return as soon as PR has been approved - or before. Do watch out for the pesky bits about continuing the cohabitation as common-law partners, should your partner be intending to return to Canada without you, prior to PR, though (more info on that in the wiki too!).

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms

Best of luck and do feel free to shout if you have any questions on the immigration parts as well as moving here!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2018 at 3:39 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:50 am
Just Joined

webtap89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you did your due diligence - well done for looking into it properly, rather than grasping at straws

Do bear in mind that if it's your plan to do a normal landing trip you will only have your COPR - you won't receive your PR card until later - when exactly depending on whether you have given an address in Canada at the time of landing, or if you have to defer and inform them of an address later. It usually takes around 8 weeks or so if given at time of landing (photos permitting!).

If you are doing a 'soft' landing - i.e., landing only to validate your COPR to become a PR but then returning to the UK/where ever shortly after and therefore unable to give a residential address in Canada - you will need to get a Permanent Resident Travel Document in order to return to Canada (unless you come via private vehicle across the US border).

If you aven't already submitted your application I would recommend grabbing a cuppa or a bevvy and reading through the most excellent articles in the Wiki on Spousal Sponsorship - written by Schnookololy and added to by various members who have been through the process. There's some very helpful info about filling out the forms, what documentary evidence will be required, how the Citizen can show proof of intent to return, etc... with links to both the official website and helpful posts on BE.

Actually, regarding 'intent to return' - I would recommend NOT putting down a specific date of intended return ( - as if it's past the date that PR is approved you could get refused for not being able to comply with the requirement to return) - just put down that the intention is to return as soon as PR has been approved - or before. Do watch out for the pesky bits about continuing the cohabitation as common-law partners, should your partner be intending to return to Canada without you, prior to PR, though (more info on that in the wiki too!).

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms

Best of luck and do feel free to shout if you have any questions on the immigration parts as well as moving here!
Thank you so much for all of your advice and tips! We have not yet submitted our application, we are taking our time with the whole process as we are not in an immediate rush...hoping to submit by the end of August/early September. We want to get it right first time to avoid any delays due to missing information etc, so I will be sure to thoroughly scour all of the information available!

As it stands currently, we do not intend on doing a 'soft' landing; everything I will own will fit in two suitcases (perks of downsizing and becoming a minimalist over the past year), and as I will be travelling with my dog I want to make it as stress free as possible for him and get us all over there together and settled in one trip. We will be staying with her family initially while we get settled and I look for work - I am planning on applying to join the police or CBSA, but due to the long application process for each of these positions I will most likely take up any work I can get in the meantime.

Very excited to get this process going and begin the journey to Canada! Will keep this thread updated as I progress through the application. Many thanks again for everyones support thus far.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind it is quite common for them to reject perfectly acceptable photos as an excuse for not meeting their own target dates. See my timeline for how long PR card took to arrive after landing