Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada from England with family

Wikiposts

Moving to Canada from England with family

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Tommy09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada from England with family

Hi, I am currently looking into moving to Canada from England with my partner and 2 children, (it won't be for a couple of years maybe) I am wanting to no what it is like to live over there especially for my children's sake, I am a skilled tradesman in the construction industry and have read that there are alot of jobs available in the construction game, if anyone could help out that would be great, just wanting an insight from people that have done the move and if it was worth it and how different it is from UK lifestyle, thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada from England with family

Where in Canada?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 4:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If construction is booming there can be jobs, when it is not, not so good. It is cyclical, also some locations are better than others. Skilled Trades EE is a good way to go. Depending on the trade, you would need and prove at least 7200 to 9000 hours to be able to write and challenge the trade exam.

Not really sure how one describes what it is to like to live here. Canada is different to the UK, it suits some, not others. Canada varies from place to place too. The only way to find out is visit and decide if it appeals. The variety of descriptions you get from folks living here is not going to make the choices easier.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:33 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i work in construction..all depends on the trade..where you are in England and where you want go In Canada?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Tommy09 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a ground worker/concreter but also have experience in alot of other roles in trade, currently live in Leicester-england and I would love to live somewhere scenic but also close enough to a city, I have not fully looked into where exactly id like to live.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it would really be best if you found out whether you were eligible to emigrate to Canada before thinking of where you want to live.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommy09
I am a ground worker/concreter but also have experience in alot of other roles in trade, currently live in Leicester-england and I would love to live somewhere scenic but also close enough to a city, I have not fully looked into where exactly id like to live.
Do you know how big Canada actually is? You're going to have to be more specific if you want information . Your question is like me asking where in Europe is good for my family to live.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

'A lot of roles in other trades' won't help at all, unless you are qualified in those roles and can prove experience in a specific role, electrician for example.. You may be able to qualify as a Concrete Finisher if you have the required skills, can prove hours of experience and pass the inter-provincial exam.

I would decide where to live on availability of work. Anywhere close to the major centres is going to be more expensive to live, an hour or so out, prices become more affordable. No use living somewhere pretty and not being able to get a decent job or having to spends months away from home traveling for work.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 22nd 2018 at 10:22 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:46 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

You will find in Canada that ground works does not exist as it does in the UK...what normally would be done by one ground works company in the UK is split between various trades here..earthwork, mechanical, formwork and concrete companies...its still a mystery as to why no one has cottoned on to the fact that one company could do the whole package...in some respects even though i have worked here a number of years i still find the Canadian construction industry is way behind the UK and Europe.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:26 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, but as Scilly says, these days it is all about eligibility to immigrate. If you meet the criteria then great, but I would suggest that's the first thing to establish. I have met precious few new immigrants from the UK in my area over the last 3 or 4 years. Whether that's because of the area rather than immigration patterns I really couldn't say, but that's certainly been my experience.

Personally speaking, Canada has been good to us. We have good jobs, a nice house and a good general standard of living. The kids are at good and exceptional schools respectively - with the younger joining the elder from Grade 8 onward.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am currently looking into moving to Canada from England with my partner and 2 children, (it won't be for a couple of years maybe) I am wanting to no what it is like to live over there especially for my children's sake, I am a skilled tradesman in the construction industry and have read that there are alot of jobs available in the construction game, if anyone could help out that would be great, just wanting an insight from people that have done the move and if it was worth it and how different it is from UK lifestyle, thanks.

Welcome to BE!

As others have said, rather than concentrating on where you might like to live you really need to ascertain if you can qualify to move here - either as a temporary worker or as a Permanent Resident. I don't suppose you (or your partner) are under 31 if English, 35 if Irish by chance? If either of you are, it might be worth looking at trying for the IEC working holiday - which would give you a 2 year open work permit.. which might help in the longer term to help you remain. It's a random draw from a pool, but as you are not in a rush, might be an option for you.

Perhaps post in our Immigration Forum with some details about age, any apprenticeship or qualifications you might have, how many years experience etc., and I'm sure someone can guide you.

Originally Posted by Aviator
'A lot of roles in other trades' won't help at all, unless you are qualified in those roles and can prove experience in a specific role, electrician for example.. You may be able to qualify as a Concrete Finisher if you have the required skills, can prove hours of experience and pass the inter-provincial exam.

I would decide where to live on availability of work. Anywhere close to the major centres is going to be more expensive to live, an hour or so out prices become more affordable.. No use living somewhere pretty and not being able to get a decent job or having to spends months away from home traveling for work.
+1