Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada bc

Moving to Canada bc

Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada bc

Originally Posted by Lparker1989
Hello my husband is looking at work in Vancouver I've been doing research and have found it's very expensive to live there.

I currently dont work as I have young children so would only be living on his wage which would be around the $90,000 to $95,0000mark. He doesnt mind commuting which areas would be best to look at for a family to have a comfortable life on that kind of wage.

Also does any one know of any websites to look at for renting.
That's a decent salary for the outer suburbs of Vancouver, but you would likely only be able to afford to rent a townhouse (terrace) rather than detached, unless you have significant savings. My personal suggestion would be to take a look at South Surrey, Cloverdale and North Langley as possible areas that are decent and safe for bringing up kids. You're only looking at around an hour to commute to Downtown Vancouver from these areas by car, slightly more by public transit.

Check out the Vancouver Craigslist for available rental units, but be smart and don't send any money to people without meeting them in person (there are scams on there) and if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. Rental stock is set to increase soon as the BC government is looking at removing all rental restrictions after 2019 from apartment buildings and townhouse complexes (known here as "Strata housing"), so if you're still in the planning stages this is something to keep in mind.

Groceries aren't as bad as people are suggesting, No Frills and Real Canadian Superstore is actually fairly reasonably priced, comparable to UK grocery prices. Some stores are more expensive though, with Safeway and Thrifty Foods being the worst, and Save-On-Foods being somewhere in the middle (my experience). Walmart is also cheap but doesn't have much product selection and feels very basic. CostCo is also popular here as a way to buy groceries in bulk and save some money, but has a yearly membership fee, and is a very warehouse-y store with only select popular items.

I hope this helps you figure out your move!
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think this is where the lines get blurred. Most immigrants who move to Canada are doing the move for a better quality of life.
My Filipino side of the family gave up living in a shitty old house in a bad part of Manila earning $25USD per day to move to Vancouver. They now drive a 10 year old car, rent a two bedroom apartment, have access to good health care. Their quality of life is now 100x better in Vancouver despite only earning $20hr.

This is not a dig at anyone, just a general observation, but I have noticed that it is mainly the immigrants who come from 1st world countries who complain about not having enough money to go skiing, or not being able to afford the latest Range Rover when they first arrive in Canada. Most of the immigrants from poorer countries are just happy to be here and embrace their new life.
That's the point and quality of life is hard to define and not the same for all. If you come from a so called 1st world country, simple things like growing veg and fresh air are becoming more important than mobile phones and range rovers. If you are from Manila maybe being able to drive a car and a fancy apartment might be the preference and Vancouver will be like a small town compared to Manila. A Bulgarian person might be happy working in the UK for £9 the hour, because they know they only have to work 10 years and can save enough money to buy a house back in Bulgaria. It's pointless to tell a person who hates living in an apartment that their salary in Tokyo is well above average, if they can never achieve their dream of a small house with garden (just an example).

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 20th 2019 at 8:41 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's the point and quality of life is hard to define and not the same for all. If you come from a so called 1st world country, simple things like growing veg and fresh air are becoming more important than mobile phones and range rovers. If you are from Manila maybe being able to drive a car and a fancy apartment might be the preference and Vancouver will be like a small town compared to Manila. A Bulgarian person might be happy working in the UK for £9 the hour, because they know they only have to work 10 years and can save enough money to buy a house back in Bulgaria. It's pointless to tell a person who hates living in an apartment that their salary in Tokyo is well above average, if they can never achieve their dream of a small house with garden (just an example).
Yes, emigration is a financial matter. People rarely move for anything other than more stuff; it's a simple trade of one's family and culture for consumer durables. When there was cheap housing in Canada It made sense to move from London to Toronto. If it's the same price for a house there's no reason to do it. In the case of Vancouver there are other disincentives to moving there, primarily the weather, so it has to be a lot cheaper before moving makes sense. The snag with starting in the UK is that the standard of living is quite high. Brexit will, of course, help with that.