Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada bc

Moving to Canada bc

Old Feb 19th 2019, 2:57 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada bc

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Average house prices for Edmonton is $320k...Vancouver is $1.1m
guaranteed the Vancouver one for that price will be some crappy, badly maintained tear down that needs another $500k spent on it
Old Feb 19th 2019, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

guaranteed the Vancouver one for that price will be some crappy, badly maintained tear down that needs another $500k spent on it
Probably comes with corpses in the crawl space and meat hooks everywhere for that price too.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Average house prices for Edmonton is $320k...Vancouver is $1.1m
But the comparison should be Edmonton vs. Prince Rupert, or similar, not Edmonton vs. Vancouver. Of course Vancouver is more expensive than Edmonton.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lparker1989
I dont think bc will be feasible where ever we end up we wouldn't want to live in a city would prefer the suburbs. And until I am able to work to contribute dont think it would work in that area specific. We have 2 children 3 year old and a 6 month old . So would want to do activity with those, we like to eat out at least once a week. We are from the UK but live in the middle east so we are used to high cost of living. We dont drink. Our preferred area to live would be Alberta area but not much work is coming up there for construction.
Are you sure about Alberta? I live in Calgary and everywhere you go there are offices, hotels and apartments in construction. Farther out they are still building homes in the suburbs. Homes and rent here are cheaper than Vancouver ,ok its colder here and more snow but I was in Vancouver last week and they got a big dump of snow this year , more than Calgary lol.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But the comparison should be Edmonton vs. Prince Rupert, or similar, not Edmonton vs. Vancouver. Of course Vancouver is more expensive than Edmonton.
Out of interest, why Prince Rupert as a comparison? Prince Rupert has a population of around 12,000 whereas Edmonton has a population of over a million.

​​​​
Old Feb 19th 2019, 3:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Median income doesn't correlate to having enough money to have a decent quality of life though, or perhaps more to the point the qualify of life someone moving to Canada wants or expects.
When you have lived in Canada for a while I think its much easier to anticipate the kind of life various salaries will buy you around Canada, and so there isn't as much difference in expectation vs reality.
I spent the past 14yrs in BC without earning $90k p/yr and had a wonderful lifestyle - it's a perfectly adequate salary to live off outside the LM/Vancouver.

Something a lot of immigrants we know struggle with is that often their salary just isn't enough for the kind of life they envisaged living in Canada.
Everyone's expectations are different, but you can't expect a radical difference from the UK unless you achieve a radical difference to your salary.

​​​​The cost of living is high in Canada, how expensive groceries were vs Europe really took us by surprise when we moved.
Since moving back to England, I can't say I've noticed a huge overall difference in the cost of living to BC. Weighing up what's cheaper/dearer ends up as a wash.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:10 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, I think you'll struggle anywhere in BC on those wages. We're shortly moving to BC from Canada's east coast, and there's no way we would even consider it without wages which were a lot, lot higher. Could you negotiate a higher salary? Or a location in a cheaper part of BC?
Thousands upon thousands of people live a happy life in BC on far less than $90,000.
Obviously you will not be able to buy a house in downtown Vancouver, but I know plenty of people who rent, drive a small older car, and live a content life on far less.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
I spent the past 14yrs in BC without earning $90k p/yr and had a wonderful lifestyle - it's a perfectly adequate salary to live off outside the LM/Vancouver.

​​​​If that's with kids then we're clearly in for a very pleasant surprise when we move.

Everyone's expectations are different, but you can't expect a radical difference from the UK unless you achieve a radical difference to your salary.

We hadn't lived in the UK for a lot of years prior to moving to Canada, so no idea about cost of living in the UK. We spent a lot of time in the ME, and then Finland, ME is where the OP is planning to move from too.

Since moving back to England, I can't say I've noticed a huge overall difference in the cost of living to BC. Weighing up what's cheaper/dearer ends up as a wash.
Yes, weighting it up like that is a wash, but when you're basing your estimations on what salary vs lifestyle can get you, then its relevant to say, for instance that although the cost of living in the ME is expensive, the salaries aren't so out of whack that you can't live a decent life there.

That's very different to Vancouver, where salaries are out of synch with house prices, cost of living etc.
Salary vs cost of living is surely a very important piece of research?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Argh, why can't I get the formatting to work today?! Nevermind, back to DIY
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lparker1989
hi sorry I got the wage wrong i have edited we are looking at about 90 to 95k cad also we both have working Visas but plan on getting citizen ship once we move there
What 'working visa' do you mean? Do you have an IEC (international experience Canada) Letter of Introduction (for your work permit)? I'm guessing it's not an employer specific work permit / LMIA approval if you are now asking about going to different Provinces (BC and Alberta) .. or do you have a COPRA for Permanent Residency - or is your partner a Canadian Citizen already?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

If your partner is in construction has he checked whether he will need his Provincial Certificate of Qualification to be able to work - or is he more management than hands on?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny B
Thousands upon thousands of people live a happy life in BC on far less than $90,000.
Obviously you will not be able to buy a house in downtown Vancouver, but I know plenty of people who rent, drive a small older car, and live a content life on far less.
Yes quite, but if you're moving internationally do you want to do it to rent and drive a small older car and get by, or generally are people doing it for a "better" quality of life than that?

Would you want to spend all the time, money and stress uprooting to make do? Personally I wouldn't, but that's individual to everyone.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Yes quite, but if you're moving internationally do you want to do it to rent and drive a small older car and get by, or generally are people doing it for a "better" quality of life than that?

Would you want to spend all the time, money and stress uprooting to make do? Personally I wouldn't, but that's individual to everyone.
I think this is where the lines get blurred. Most immigrants who move to Canada are doing the move for a better quality of life.
My Filipino side of the family gave up living in a shitty old house in a bad part of Manila earning $25USD per day to move to Vancouver. They now drive a 10 year old car, rent a two bedroom apartment, have access to good health care. Their quality of life is now 100x better in Vancouver despite only earning $20hr.

This is not a dig at anyone, just a general observation, but I have noticed that it is mainly the immigrants who come from 1st world countries who complain about not having enough money to go skiing, or not being able to afford the latest Range Rover when they first arrive in Canada. Most of the immigrants from poorer countries are just happy to be here and embrace their new life.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think this is where the lines get blurred. Most immigrants who move to Canada are doing the move for a better quality of life.
My Filipino side of the family gave up living in a shitty old house in a bad part of Manila earning $25USD per day to move to Vancouver. They now drive a 10 year old car, rent a two bedroom apartment, have access to good health care. Their quality of life is now 100x better in Vancouver despite only earning $20hr.

This is not a dig at anyone, just a general observation, but I have noticed that it is mainly the immigrants who come from 1st world countries who complain about not having enough money to go skiing, or not being able to afford the latest Range Rover when they first arrive in Canada. Most of the immigrants from poorer countries are just happy to be here and embrace their new life.
Yes absolutely, and likewise wherever you come from downgrading in quality of life is not much fun.
Or even not "upgrading" enough in quality of life to justify, in your own mind, the upheaval.

​​
Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, why Prince Rupert as a comparison? Prince Rupert has a population of around 12,000 whereas Edmonton has a population of over a million.

​​​​
Both famously unattractive places in the far north.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Both famously unattractive places in the far north.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.