Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Originally Posted by Doops
Well done in your persistence. I really do not know where to start with enhancing and topping up etc. Once through all the hoops of NNAS assessments etc, probably be nearer 50!!

How long did you attend a programme of study for and what was it?
Sorry, should of added as RPN diploma still acceptable.

To be honest I don't consider 50 old, the improvement in our quality of life and how our children will all benefit from us having made the move is the huge thing with us.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Doops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond repute

I know especially when we're nursing an older population who have more get up and go and are very independent.

Yes, I am a registered adult nurse with the diploma. Did you have to upgrade your nursing diploma in Canada, or was it ok to practice from 2010?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Doops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond reputeDoops has a reputation beyond repute

As the only hope of arriving in Canada involves some form of study, I may as well persist with the nursing route. You have given me a glimmer or hope to submit my NNAS and have requested my nursing transcript from uni. I understand it will be a long drawn out expensive process, so will plod on with it and update folk on each process ... or not as the case may be ( hopefully will have an answer by the time I am 48yrs). Had read somewhere that to upgrade nursing qualifications undertake online modules, blimey $1k ... is that just for one? It stated that maybe 5 modules was required.

Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2016, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

I know especially when we're nursing an older population who have more get up and go and are very independent.

Yes, I am a registered adult nurse with the diploma. Did you have to upgrade your nursing diploma in Canada, or was it ok to practice from 2010?
We were lucky I guess, straight into practice. Exam sat and passed 2 and 6 weeks later respectively (both rpn').

It is an expensive process generally, add in extra modules eek! The sweetener is nursing much higher paid here than UK, think roundabout double. Experience is recognized so you don't start from the bottom of payscale either.

As I said earlier in this thread, it's best to get the process underway asap. So at least it's in process.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Circa $1k is for all five modules if you need an assessment for all 5: child, maternity and infant, adult, mental health...i forgot what the 5th was...just general clinical skills and drug calculation...i did qualify 3 years ago and had my assessments a year ago...the curriculum that we followed is different to what it was years ago...so you just never know...there is always a chance I know of a nurse recently who was told to do 5 day assessment but did argue her corner because of the work experience and they dropped 2 days. The only trouble is that if you are told you need to do extra assessment it is done in Canada so your travel costs plus assessment so sta and it is rather pricey...based on that assessment in my case I was told what extra modules are required...since I am an adult RN I am required to do 80 hours placement for maternity and infant as in nova scotia they don't have midwifes as such...nurses gave a basic training in midwifery during 4 years at uni so unless you have UK maternity experience you will need to do the same, then I need to do academic hours for maternity which is online, academic hours for children (same online) and community based modules 2 I think to do specifically with canadian/native population...that would come up to approx $3k plus my expenses when doing 80 hours placement...and that's all before sitting the actual exam...however because I do believe that the move is our big chance as a family etc I decided to apply for LPN reg first work at a lower level and then build up to RN registration (like when based already in Canada)
For that the college for LPN in NS told me to do just one online module that costs about £250 it is maternity and infant care...i am about to do last online test today and then fingers crossed final LPN exam in September.
It is difficult and very in detail...it is what midwifes woukd do and then health visitors...I am haematology sister so it is all new to me as you can imagine
I did apply few months before the NNAS so I was applying directly to the college
Wait for report and then consider which route would be better for you?
What is your background?
As the only hope of arriving in Canada involves some form of study, I may as well persist with the nursing route. You have given me a glimmer or hope to submit my NNAS and have requested my nursing transcript from uni. I understand it will be a long drawn out expensive process, so will plod on with it and update folk on each process ... or not as the case may be ( hopefully will have an answer by the time I am 48yrs). Had read somewhere that to upgrade nursing qualifications undertake online modules, blimey $1k ... is that just for one? It stated that maybe 5 modules was required.

Thanks

Last edited by kasiadoran; Mar 30th 2016 at 5:53 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Let's hope all good for you. Like you said a long drawn out process. I too have worked in haematology. No experience in on line modules you discussed. Think it's due to our university programmes. After first year you branch off into mental health or acute setting.

This has really opened up my eyes to how undervalued our diplomas and degrees
in nursing are deemed internationally.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

I did my nursing with Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge and I thought the nursing program was the same across UK...and I thought UK qualified nurses are an asset but it proved me wrong so far...ie my hospital buddy who is originally trained in Dublin had no problems with any extra modules neither did nurses from Spain or Portugal...it is uk program that is so different to Canadian...good luck...by the way I just passed the final online exam for maternity and infant nursing...which means I am officially all up to scratch now to sit LPN exam in September; )
Let's hope all good for you. Like you said a long drawn out process. I too have worked in haematology. No experience in on line modules you discussed. Think it's due to our university programmes. After first year you branch off into mental health or acute setting.

This has really opened up my eyes to how undervalued our diplomas and degrees
in nursing are deemed internationally.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Way hay that's brill ... Congrats � ����� ����

So what's the LPN exam ?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Licensed Practical Nurse...the exam.is what they have at the end of the uni course...it appears to be very similar to NCLEX...bit of everything really...and LPN is a lower level RN...i think in a nutshell anyway
Way hay that's brill ... Congrats � ����� ����

So what's the LPN exam ?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. Going back to how undervalued our uni nursing degree/diploma are...don't even get me started on my BSc degree with Hons in podiatry ... internationally, would have to be recognised and retrain on a par with a surgeon, am gobsmacked !
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

I know...well that's what it is however unfair it appears...well it is unfair! ... i am now passed frustration...i just want to move so onwards and upwards...
Interesting. Going back to how undervalued our uni nursing degree/diploma are...don't even get me started on my BSc degree with Hons in podiatry ... internationally, would have to be recognised and retrain on a par with a surgeon, am gobsmacked !
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Reluctant topping up my nursing diploma to degree in UK. Would cost £9k for the year and may have elements missing from modules, which are not recognised in Canada's assessment process. However, if applied for student visa to undertake nursing unsure if would have to undertake full programme, and the costs !
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just applied to NNAS and paid up my dollars. Next is to go to a solicitor to get my identification notarized. Costly process and only just started. Hopefully be worthwhile in the end.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aja424
Just applied to NNAS and paid up my dollars. Next is to go to a solicitor to get my identification notarized. Costly process and only just started. Hopefully be worthwhile in the end.
I came over to Alberta and did the Bridge to Canadian Nursing Program in Calgary. CARNA assessed my qualifications and experience and offered me the choice of SEC assessment or doing the BCN program. The full BCN program is 10 months long and is really just a review process with theory and assessment labs. I have two casual jobs, acute medicine and the other unit is surgery. Lots of shifts offered to me each week, more than I can do. I don't find nursing that different over here, head to toe assessment is the only real difference to my practice, which was covered in the BCN Program. Same issues really as th UK. Lots of induction training given for both jobs and buddy shifts. I came from a Health Visitor job in the UK so it really is like going back to when I first qualified years ago, working in an acute setting. One thing is that you cannot get your RN licence in Alberta until you have gained 225 hrs as a Graduate Nurse and passed the NCLEX. Then I think you have more flexibility in terms of the type of job you can apply for, i.e. working in the area that you worked in back in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

mjsmith83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, in Jan this yr I sat my OSCE as requested by the CNO (initial application sent Oct 2014) and yesterday I got an email to say I'm eligible to sit the NCLEX-RN exam 😊 Does this mean I can apply for jobs?? I'm a diploma trained nurse based in UK with 11yrs experience. Had almost given up on working as a nurse in Canada!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.