Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Originally Posted by telgar32
That is not the case if I'm honest I'm afraid. I have a degree in adult nursing and thought that would be enough to sit the exam also. The thing is in Canada they don't have mental health, adult nurses and children's nurses or midwives. They are general nurses and once qualified can work in any of thrse areas. Here in the uk we only train in the area in which we wish to work, that's why we lack skills as far as the Canadians are concerned .
I'd say to anyone considering the idea of Nursing in Canada to not be put off too quickly when reading these forums. YES the process can be long (Think years not months) and admittedly has changed since i and my wife arrived in 2010. We settled in BC (as RPN's) and consider it one of the best decisions we have ever made.

The link outlines the process for both Psychiatric Nurses and General Nurses applying in BC https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Nurses...d-Registration

You'l notice first steps are basically the same and that you have to apply to have your credentials assessed via the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) NNAS / SNEI it may look daunting but its all a step by step process, until this is complete you're just doing your background research if you are planning on coming here as a nurse.

The NNAS backgrounder http://www.crpnbc.ca/wp-content/uplo...ease-Final.pdf

Psych you will be limited to the 4 Western Provinces British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba – and the Yukon Territory as the rest of Canada does not currently recognize Psych Nurses as a distinct discipline. As far as i am aware steps are being taken by the Provinces Colleges of Psychiatric Nursing to increase mobility of Psychiatric nurses across more of Canada. Here's the info;

http://www.crpnbc.ca/wp-content/uplo...nouncement.pdf

Be prepared for it to cost a bit, it will be so worthwhile (IMO) though if you do decide to pursue. There will be a nursing exam to sit, but this can be done after arriving and starting work, during which you'l hold interim registration. That's rather simplified but the important point is to Start the process.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Just discovered this

Mobility and assessment of Canadian and internationally
educated Registered Psychiatric Nurses (Final Report, June 2015)

http://www.rpnc.ca/sites/default/fil...-FINAL-PMC.pdf
Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Scifikitten is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Psyched
I'd say to anyone considering the idea of Nursing in Canada to not be put off too quickly when reading these forums. YES the process can be long (Think years not months) and admittedly has changed since i and my wife arrived in 2010. We settled in BC (as RPN's) and consider it one of the best decisions we have ever made.

The link outlines the process for both Psychiatric Nurses and General Nurses applying in BC https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Nurses...d-Registration

You'l notice first steps are basically the same and that you have to apply to have your credentials assessed via the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) NNAS / SNEI it may look daunting but its all a step by step process, until this is complete you're just doing your background research if you are planning on coming here as a nurse.

The NNAS backgrounder http://www.crpnbc.ca/wp-content/uplo...ease-Final.pdf

Psych you will be limited to the 4 Western Provinces British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba – and the Yukon Territory as the rest of Canada does not currently recognize Psych Nurses as a distinct discipline. As far as i am aware steps are being taken by the Provinces Colleges of Psychiatric Nursing to increase mobility of Psychiatric nurses across more of Canada. Here's the info;

http://www.crpnbc.ca/wp-content/uplo...nouncement.pdf

Be prepared for it to cost a bit, it will be so worthwhile (IMO) though if you do decide to pursue. There will be a nursing exam to sit, but this can be done after arriving and starting work, during which you'l hold interim registration. That's rather simplified but the important point is to Start the process.
Thank you. I am looking at BC.
If you can sit the exam after arriving that sounds less daunting. I honestly don't think I could afford a separate trip just to sit an exam with all the fees etc.

When do you think is best to start the process because I can't leave the uk for at least another 2-2 1/2 years realistically.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scifikitten
Thank you. I am looking at BC.
If you can sit the exam after arriving that sounds less daunting. I honestly don't think I could afford a separate trip just to sit an exam with all the fees etc.

When do you think is best to start the process because I can't leave the uk for at least another 2-2 1/2 years realistically.
Check the steps required on the NNAS site and get the ball rolling ASAP. It will be costly but it is in stages, as i said it's important to start, Or you may later feel it a missed opportunity in years ahead.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at completing the re-entry programme for RN's in Canada. It consists of 9 modules, some of which I can complete online but others have a practical test to them as well which can a few days to complete. I'm hoping I can go to Canada and complete the practical side of a few modules together rather than just do 2 days here and there. Does anyone know if this is possible? Ive heard also if you are only going for an assessment you do not need a visa but am not entirely sure if that is the case.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

When I did my assessments I was told they can organise everything g so you don't need to be going backwards and forwards etc...visa...are you uk passport holder? If yes no visa required just bio - passport...the one with the chip
Originally Posted by telgar32
I am looking at completing the re-entry programme for RN's in Canada. It consists of 9 modules, some of which I can complete online but others have a practical test to them as well which can a few days to complete. I'm hoping I can go to Canada and complete the practical side of a few modules together rather than just do 2 days here and there. Does anyone know if this is possible? Ive heard also if you are only going for an assessment you do not need a visa but am not entirely sure if that is the case.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe if it is less than 6 months then you do not need a visa. However if you have clinical a then you are required to have a medical
Old Mar 14th 2016, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm a RMN with a year's experience on an acute ward plus 15 years as a HCA on an acute ward. Looking at relocating to Calgary as I went there when I was in the army as a teenager.
Could there be a situation where I have my credentials approved by the NNAS and given my visa, but then fail my exams in Calgary?
What on earth would happen then?
Would be more than happy to stay in Canada in another job with my longer-term term goal on reaching RPN status, but could this be a probable scenario?
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aja424
Hi, I'm a RMN with a year's experience on an acute ward plus 15 years as a HCA on an acute ward. Looking at relocating to Calgary as I went there when I was in the army as a teenager.
Could there be a situation where I have my credentials approved by the NNAS and given my visa, but then fail my exams in Calgary?
What on earth would happen then?
Would be more than happy to stay in Canada in another job with my longer-term term goal on reaching RPN status, but could this be a probable scenario?
Usually you have 3 attempts with the exam but depending on province will depend whether you can continue with temp license if failed
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that I may get my visa and activated it by landing. But then if I was to fail the exam, I already have my visa?
My plan is to apply to NNAS on the next couple of weeks. After 3-4 months if the outlook is positive then I will start the immigration process as am aware that NNAS takes around a year.
Only issue I have is that a private immigration agent has stated that I may have to go on a student visa due to not having enough points. I have been on the CIC website and it states that I will be able to apply and gives me a reference number. Only way it does this though is if my wife does the IELTS. She has good common sense but she's not confident of getting 6 out of 9. Hence that I'm a bit a bit apprehensive about paying the NNAS if my application is doomed from the start!

Last edited by aja424; Mar 15th 2016 at 10:17 am.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic but it is hurting my eyes... please can the thread titles spelling error be corrected.. lol
Old Mar 15th 2016, 12:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that I may get my visa and activated it by landing. But then if I was to fail the exam, I already have my visa?
Will you have a visa though? Most people require a job offer to get a visa, so do double check that you're definitely eligible for a visa without one. You need to check that you score above approx 450-480 on the CRS, or very close to it, as otherwise it's a wasted application (and a waste of money).

If you don't score near to that, the NNAS process would need to come first (so that you can start working in Canada on a TWP before applying for PR), rather than the visa. So checking your score yourself (rather than relying on what an immi consultant tells you) needs to be the first step really, as it will determine which way round you do things.

HTH.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the info.
Basically I need to apply to NNAS. Then a couple of months later apply for a temp work visa?
Can I still take a conversion exam on a temp work visa?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically I need to apply to NNAS. Then a couple of months later apply for a temp work visa?
Sorry if I misunderstood...but I did the 5 days assessment last April post initial check if my credentials etc...and I did not require any visa...
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, ok. You mentioned 'landing', which is for PR so I thought that was the route you were looking at.

I'd be surprised if any employer would be prepared to go through the cost, paperwork, and hassle of the LMIA app for somebody that isn't actually able to work in Canada yet, but I could well be wrong. Hopefully the lovely nursing peeps on this thread will be able to advise.

It's likely to take quite a bit longer than two months to get to the work permit stage though. Just the LMIA app can take several months, and of course you'd have to find a job offer first which is unlikely to be instant, so do factor that in to your timescales.

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.