Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Old Feb 19th 2016, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

I applied for NNAS at the end of May 2015 so its taken seven and a half months. Not quick at all. you have to make sure that the universities sending your qualification detail over seal and sign the envelopes properly so that NNAS know these are genuine and have not been tampered with. I got held up on two occasions due to this.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by telgar32
I think you will find the process is the same for mental health nurses as it is for general nurses. you first have to apply to NNAS to get your qualifications assessed and once you have a report from them submit this to the regulatory body in the province you wish to practice in. In your case alberta. I started my NNAS application at the end of May 2015 and only got my report yesterday so it does take time. On two occasions they would not accept documents sent from my university because the envelopes were not signed and sealed properly. They knew about one of these on 26th October 2015 but did not tell me they couldn't accept it until 3rd January. I complained saying this was an unacceptable level of customer service and they speeded things up after that.
I would just advise that you keep them on their toes! Good Luck!
Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper but again it appears that the best chance for somehow quicker licensure...ie two years down the line rather than forever...lays with adult nurses rather than peads lor m/health all because of programme difference they are (in NS) qualified as general practicioner and to start with you are expected to be exactly that
Old Feb 19th 2016, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Acousins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Yes, it probably is unrealistic.... The process of collating information for NNAS and assessment and a result, then registration with a provincial college, what they ask you to do based on your education so maybe an OSCE, or more courses, then after all that you need to do an exam etc, bear in mind that each stage will take months to complete. For instance, I was advised I could apply for the exam in September but the next exam date is not until the second week of January, then a five week wait for the result- that part alone has covered a five month period and that's just one aspect. That's why I said about timing- you need to treat this as a priority.
Thanks for your advice/information. Did you sit the exam in Jan 2016? How long did it take you from the beginning of your application until ur exam? Once the exam is passed are you able to work as an RN straight away? Is it not possible to work as a grad nurse or LPN at any stage of registering?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
From recent experience it appears that the programme differences are too great and you will be asked to do some extra modules: for example mother and baby nursing as in ns they do not have midwives as such so midwifery is part of your foundation programme...when I had OSCE last year my scenario was to deliver a baby on maternity ward...i said well I would call the midwife... then further down the line for the same scenario I was meant to deliver health visitor like care and advice...another one that you may need to do is children and then mental health - depending on your background in UK...basically they spend 4 years at uni so cover a lot more than we do...that's for RN...some if the staff is online some you need to attend...for LPN I was told to complete an online module which I am starting on Monday...it is community aspect with focus on mother and infant...then happy days I can apply to sit an exam...so the plan is to get LPN reg first and then once settled try and work up towards RN registration...it took me since April 2014 to get where I am now but it was initially towards RN licensure
Thanks for that Kasiadoran! I have been thinking about becoming an LPN first and then working toward an RN but I think I will wait and see what the college want me to do to become an RN. If its not too much then I might go straight for it but if its going to take a long time I may have to go the LPN route. did you have to start again with NNAS to go along the LPN route?
Visa is the other thing to think about! I still practice in the UK at the moment so if you say some theory is online I can complete that whilst I'm here. I wonder if its possible to work as Health care assistant until you become licensed?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Kasiadoran! I have been thinking about becoming an LPN first and then working toward an RN but I think I will wait and see what the college want me to do to become an RN. If its not too much then I might go straight for it but if its going to take a long time I may have to go the LPN route. did you have to start again with NNAS to go along the LPN route?
Visa is the other thing to think about! I still practice in the UK at the moment so if you say some theory is online I can complete that whilst I'm here. I wonder if its possible to work as Health care assistant until you become licensed?
I am still practising in UK☺I applied just before NNAS and the CRNNS sent over copies to CLPNNS for my LPN registration. I was told that for my RN registration I would need to do about 6 extra modules mostly online however because in uk we don't do midwifery hours at uni I was told I need to complete 80 hours of supervised practice within delivery unit...and that would be in NS...they said it will take about three weeks to complete the placement...visa...it is beyond me it seems to be such a variety of options when it comes to permits and visas at the moment I feel rather lost
Old Feb 19th 2016, 5:31 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acousins1
Thanks for your advice/information. Did you sit the exam in Jan 2016? How long did it take you from the beginning of your application until ur exam? Once the exam is passed are you able to work as an RN straight away? Is it not possible to work as a grad nurse or LPN at any stage of registering?
You can work on a temporary license within a year of recent practice but you need to have had all else assessed and just be waiting to sit the exam to do that. I have applied for RPN as I didn't think that I had a chance of getting positively assessed for RN and didn't think I wanted to do all the things you need to do.

From the start of application (Feb 2014 pre NNAS) to just passing my exam, and still don't have a license...Two years.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Acousins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can work on a temporary license within a year of recent practice but you need to have had all else assessed and just be waiting to sit the exam to do that. I have applied for RPN as I didn't think that I had a chance of getting positively assessed for RN and didn't think I wanted to do all the things you need to do.

From the start of application (Feb 2014 pre NNAS) to just passing my exam, and still don't have a license...Two years.
That's such a long wait.... I've just paid the fee for NNAS and have documents printed ready for express post.
What province are u in? I know a girl who worked in the same hosp as me back home who is now in Calgary. It took her 8 months and she worked then as a grad nurse. But she's her full license now- all in 1.5yrs.
It says the nclex exam centre is open 7 days a week in Saskatoon! That's only 2hrs away from me. Huge congrats on getting your exam! I hear it's tough. You're on the home straight 👍
Old Feb 19th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

From recent experience it appears that the programme differences are too great and you will be asked to do some extra modules: for example mother and baby nursing as in ns they do not have midwives as such so midwifery is part of your foundation programme...when I had OSCE last year my scenario was to deliver a baby on maternity ward...i said well I would call the midwife... then further down the line for the same scenario I was meant to deliver health visitor like care and advice...another one that you may need to do is children and then mental health - depending on your background in UK...basically they spend 4 years at uni so cover a lot more than we do...that's for RN...some if the staff is online some you need to attend...for LPN I was told to complete an online module which I am starting on Monday...it is community aspect with focus on mother and infant...then happy days I can apply to sit an exam...so the plan is to get LPN reg first and then once settled try and work up towards RN registration...it took me since April 2014 to get where I am now but it was initially towards RN licensure
Although they spend 4 years in university they get every summer off and a bit of extra time off in December so I think their time works out roughly the same as the UK. Where I work we see them as CCA's when they have long time off like the summer. CCA = Certified Care Assistant.

As a FYI the LPN and RN colleges in NS are looking to merge but don't expect that to happen for another 12 months or so
Old Feb 19th 2016, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

. I wonder if its possible to work as Health care assistant until you become licensed?
In NS they are Certified Care Assistants and you will have to go through them to see if you can sit their exam to be able to work
Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find the process is the same for mental health nurses as it is for general nurses. you first have to apply to NNAS to get your qualifications assessed and once you have a report from them submit this to the regulatory body in the province you wish to practice in. In your case alberta. I started my NNAS application at the end of May 2015 and only got my report yesterday so it does take time. On two occasions they would not accept documents sent from my university because the envelopes were not signed and sealed properly. They knew about one of these on 26th October 2015 but did not tell me they couldn't accept it until 3rd January. I complained saying this was an unacceptable level of customer service and they speeded things up after that.
I would just advise that you keep them on their toes! Good Luck!
Thank you for that, good to know. Shocking wait times! I better get my girlfriend to get on it right away
Old Feb 20th 2016, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Same here...initial application in 2014 just before NNAS and same thought process I would not get RN...well I didn't actually after my OSCE the list of modules to do was...pricey hence LPN...so if I get that online module completed and then I am deemed eligible to sit an exam...i could apply for temporary licence?... maybe we could move sooner...will I be able to apply for any jobs with the temporary licence?
Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes you can apply for jobs with a temp license, you can even apply for jobs with eligibility to sit exam
Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Yes you can apply for jobs with a temp license, you can even apply for jobs with eligibility to sit exam
Ha....that's a good news to start the day withThank you
Old Feb 20th 2016, 10:42 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ha....that's a good news to start the day withThank you
Yes you can and not to try and dampen your spirits but how do you score on Express Entry and/or you would need to look for a job backed with an LMIA..
Old Feb 20th 2016, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes you can and not to try and dampen your spirits but how do you score on Express Entry and/or you would need to look for a job backed with an LMIA..
Well I did the online score thingy based on me and sean etc etc...aand it was ok I did make up the English test results as it us something for me to take and for sean...well he is English so should be ok with the test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.