Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada

Moving to Canada

Old Apr 30th 2016, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Auryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Canada

Hello everone
My husband got an offer through his work to move to Canada. We haven't decided yet but we have got few concerns. I'm not sure about schooling in Canada, our children are 6,5 and 2 year old. Obviously the 6 year old will go to full education in Canada but what about 5 year old? She is at the reception at the moment and can read and count very well. Would she go to full education in Canada at her age as well or would we need to pay? I don't want to lover her level.
The other question I've got is what salary expectations are like in Canada? Is salary $185 a year for family of 5 would be ok? We were thinking of moving to Oakvile but are there any better/word areas to leave? As an expats what would you ask your employer for?
Thank you so much for all your advice

Last edited by Auryn80; Apr 30th 2016 at 2:33 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Auryn80
Is salary $185 a year for family of 5 would be ok?
I would say that was a bit tight!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have a 5 year old he's in full time kindy, ( in the same school as my older child) it's goes the year they are born in Canada so if it's 2010 then SK until June then in September grade 1 ect.
We are in Toronto with 2 kids house prices are crazy but as we are renting we are saving loads and still having 2/3 holidays a year on a similar salary with only 1 parent working.
Just a note if your coming intra coming transfer you will not get 600 points for a job offer if you decide to get PR.
Good Luck
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Auryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond reputeAuryn80 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reply. do you know if the companies usually cover the cost of the kindy if they are relocating you?
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply. do you know if the companies usually cover the cost of the kindy if they are relocating you?
Companies will normally cover moving costs but every company is different to how and what they cover depends on the persons role ect?
Jk and SK are part of the normal schooling so it's free and runs the full school day.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Is salary $185 a year for family of 5 would be ok?
Originally Posted by Aviator
I would say that was a bit tight!
Funny thing...I was thinking that even if the OP meant $185k there might be some here who'd say it was a bit tight.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was 6 when we brought him over and I was told to expect him to be way ahead of his peers at school. He was the youngest in his year in UK so he'd done 2.5 years of full time school before we landed.

He was way way ahead when he arrived. His first 18 months here were way too easy but we knew that before we landed.

Now he's stretched all the time at school so it catches up eventually.

It was worth it tho. Our life is better here.

HTH.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Lovely, thank you. It's a big decision for us.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely, thank you. It's a big decision for us.
You're welcome

And rightly so. It was definitely on our cons side of the page for moving.

If you want to PM me you can do so we can talk offline. I don't like comparing Canada to UK on the forum. It can get people's backs up lol
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everone
My husband got an offer through his work to move to Canada. We haven't decided yet but we have got few concerns. I'm not sure about schooling in Canada, our children are 6,5 and 2 year old. Obviously the 6 year old will go to full education in Canada but what about 5 year old? She is at the reception at the moment and can read and count very well. Would she go to full education in Canada at her age as well or would we need to pay? I don't want to lover her level.
The other question I've got is what salary expectations are like in Canada? Is salary $185 a year for family of 5 would be ok? We were thinking of moving to Oakvile but are there any better/word areas to leave? As an expats what would you ask your employer for?
Thank you so much for all your advice
If you were to live in Renfrew, Ontario on 185k you could live like a king! Early year education is slightly behind the UK, your kids will find it easier to start with. My wife is a teacher who taught in the UK for 10 years. School is more fun here, kids are not pushed as hard but then look at Finland! Thats another debate. My kids found school easy when they first came here. They're 8 & 5
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

185K would be a good wage anywhere in Canada I think. On that sort of salary your spouse must be a critical business asset and I would defiantly be expecting a relocation package to go along with it. Look for:

1) Flights for family to Canada
2) Temp accommodation for 1 month in a furnished apartment in Canada;
3) Temp health insurance before MSP kicks in (depends on province but up to 3 months)
4) Help filling first Canadian tax return and final tax return in UK;
5) Costs to cover either shipping of possessions or buying new.
6) help with finding a home and schooling
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
185K would be a good wage anywhere in Canada I think.
Yes but I expect it's less than the typical household income in the nice parts of Oakville.
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes but I expect it's less than the typical household income in the nice parts of Oakville.
I thought all of it was nice. Isn't Oakville the nice part of the Greater Toronto Area?
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought all of it was nice. Isn't Oakville the nice part of the Greater Toronto Area?
At one point in time the average Oakville household income was $250K plus. Recently, with the rapid growth of lower end high density housing that average will have dropped. With it has come higher pollution, much more noise (including aircraft) and although there doesnt seem to be more crime there is a huge police presence which can be disconcerting to anyone who is from the UK. Vistors notice it. If you have kids who have respiratory problems such as allergies, asthma etc, it may be wise that you research this specifically vis a vis Oakville.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's a nice suburb. It's not the only nice suburb and there are nice parts of Toronto proper. The older part of Oakville, south of the QEW is, AFAIK, all very nice, if a bit snobbish, north of there is a lot of standard tract housing, griege siding structures packed close together. Up there it's less affluent and not markedly different from anywhere else that shitty boxes have been thrown up on farmland (or new communities have been lovingly crafted, depending on whether you have to live there or just write the brochures).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.