Reload this Page >

Moving business to Canada

Moving business to Canada

Old May 6th 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Obstrepherous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving business to Canada

Hello,

I will be seeing a lawyer soon, but i'd like to get as much information as I can before I do.

I have an internet business currently making around $200,000 in profit a year and would like to move it to Canada, and become a citizen myself. The business doesn't deal with anything physical and I am the only person involved in the business. I would like to do this because Canada is a desirable place to live.

What are the requirements / processes needed to do this?

Thanks

Last edited by Obstrepherous; May 6th 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Old May 6th 2017, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving business to Canada

Originally Posted by Obstrepherous
Hello,

I will be seeing a lawyer soon, but i'd like to get as much information as I can before I do.

I have an internet business currently making around $200,000 in profit a year and would like to move it to Canada, and become a citizen myself. The business doesn't deal with anything physical and I am the only person involved in the business. I would like to do this because Canada is a desirable place to live.

Have you yet determined if you qualify for Canadian immigration?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Thanks
Have you yet determined if you qualify for Canadian immigration?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Old May 6th 2017, 6:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks
Apply for a visa, acquire said visa, buy a ticket and bring your laptop with you.
Old May 6th 2017, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Apply for a visa, acquire said visa, buy a ticket and bring your laptop with you.
and be careful where you choose to live - internet service can be really bad in some of the more rural areas.
Old May 7th 2017, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Is it necessary to see a lawyer, or is that a needless expense?
Old May 7th 2017, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Is it that simple? Do I not need to invest and create a certain amount of jobs? In the US i'd have to invest $500k - $1m and make 10 jobs.
Old May 7th 2017, 5:25 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Is it that simple? Do I not need to invest and create a certain amount of jobs? In the US i'd have to invest $500k - $1m and make 10 jobs.
Just occasionally it isn't quite as simple as that...Canada has got to want you as well as you wanting Canada
Old May 7th 2017, 7:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It is that simple, if you qualify for a visa. But as with the US, there are various routes available to permanent residency, and you need to work out if you're eligible for any of them. Once you've got PR, you can then do what you like when you get to Canada, including running your own business there.

Start with the CIC website, check your visa eligibility (the Start Up visa may be worth looking at if you don't score enough to get PR via Express Entry).

I'll leave this thread here now as your original post seemed to be asking more about the practical side of setting up a business in Canada, but once you've checked your visa eligibility on the CIC website, do ask any visa related questions in the immigration section of the forum.

Thx and good luck.
Old May 7th 2017, 8:13 am
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar situation, as far as the company side goes (I'm a Canadian citizen by birth, so no visa issues), and have been struggling to find good advice. I'm looking at moving, and run my own online (SaaS) business with just me as an employee. Has anyone had experience moving their company from the UK to Canada?
Old May 7th 2017, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It is that simple, if you qualify for a visa. But as with the US, there are various routes available to permanent residency, and you need to work out if you're eligible for any of them. Once you've got PR, you can then do what you like when you get to Canada, including running your own business there.

Start with the CIC website, check your visa eligibility (the Start Up visa may be worth looking at if you don't score enough to get PR via Express Entry).

I'll leave this thread here now as your original post seemed to be asking more about the practical side of setting up a business in Canada, but once you've checked your visa eligibility on the CIC website, do ask any visa related questions in the immigration section of the forum.

Thx and good luck.
I wil look into it some more. Thank you.
Old May 7th 2017, 11:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
I'm in a similar situation, as far as the company side goes (I'm a Canadian citizen by birth, so no visa issues), and have been struggling to find good advice. I'm looking at moving, and run my own online (SaaS) business with just me as an employee. Has anyone had experience moving their company from the UK to Canada?
Hi, the best thing to do is to start a new thread of your own and you'll get some good advice. Do also mention which province you're going to, as requirements will vary deepening on that, and if you search the forums I'm sure there have been some really good 'how to set up a business in Canada' type threads before that will give you some info.

Best of luck.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:40 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We set up a business when we first moved to Canada. It's not really much different to setting up a business in the UK. Business incorporation is largely the same. Reporting to the CRA etc is broadly similar. The tricky bit is getting Permanent Residency in the first place. Without that, the rest is largely irrelevant.
Old May 8th 2017, 11:36 am
Just Joined

We set up a business when we first moved to Canada. It's not really much different to setting up a business in the UK. Business incorporation is largely the same. Reporting to the CRA etc is broadly similar. The tricky bit is getting Permanent Residency in the first place. Without that, the rest is largely irrelevant.
What i'm trying to ask, is can you use the business to acquire permanent residency? For example in the US you need to invest $500k and make 10 jobs for permanent residency.
Old May 8th 2017, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What i'm trying to ask, is can you use the business to acquire permanent residency? For example in the US you need to invest $500k and make 10 jobs for permanent residency.
As mentioned above, it would be best to ask any visa related queries in the immi section of the forum - the main Canada section is really just for general lifestyle stuff.

But look at the Start Up Visa (see my post above). There's also the Self Employed visa route (no need for any investment or jobs then, although it's an incredibly lengthy processing time) if your job qualifies, depends on what you do.

And which province are you hoping to go to? Some have business streams under their PNP's.

Best thing to do is to start a new thread in the immi section of the forum with more info on (the province you are aiming for, what the business does, etc) and people can steer you in the right direction.
Old May 8th 2017, 5:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

I think it is extremely difficult to use a small one-man business as a means to Permanent Residency. I seem to remember as well the self employed route takes 6 or 7 years (assuming you're skills are relevant in the first place).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.