Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barrie!

Wikiposts

Moving to Barrie!

Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:55 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Barrie!

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Hi jonthelad,

We hear a lot about the pollution in the Toronto area (lakes not fit for swimming, yellow smog over the cities etc) so i would be very interested to hear your take on the area. We are hoping to move to Canada this year, and reluctantly ruled out Ontario, mainly because of the pollution (we would have to live near Toronto for hubby's work)
We are officially landing in Toronto in March, although we will have to come back to the UK to sell up etc, but would like to check out places then. we are staying in Hamilton, is that anywhere near Barrie?

Rachel
Hi Rachael

I wouls say Barrie is at least two hours north from TO. Probably more dependant on what time of day you go. We are moving to Barrie. t's right on Lake Simcoe and we feel is a great place to start our new life. My wife's cousin commutes to Toronto every day and it takes him just over an hour. Mind you he leaves at 6am and returns at 7pm.

All the best
Drew.

PS Try the city of Barrie website.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, no, it's not that bad. These pictures should give you the idea, lots of heavy industry on the lake, lots of nice parks a bit inland :

http://www.go-steeltown.com/hamilton_ontario/page2.htm

Same air as Toronto though.
Thanks for the photos (I think!!) looks lovely as long as you like industrial landscapes!
Looking forward to my holiday!

Rachel
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:55 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by deppfan
Hi Kelly

We too are hoping to move to Barrie around the same time!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw your mail......we have family in Elmvale which is about a 20 minute drive. We were over there in the summer and loved it....looked at houses etc. Wow, what a small world!!!!

Do you have any children?? We have a 16 year old daughter - who isn't 100% sure about going and a 5 year old little boy.

Regards

marian
HI Marian,
God its good to find someone else whos making the move to the same area(ish), are you going as skilled worker or family sponsor?
Its hard to imagine this time next year! will we have moved over and settled? will we have work, will we have any regrets?
Its beautiful in Barrie, lake simcoe is lovely, we've seen it in winter and in the summer, wow!!! pm me if you want to talk more.
Happy moving!!!!
Kelly

Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Hi jonthelad,

We hear a lot about the pollution in the Toronto area (lakes not fit for swimming, yellow smog over the cities etc) so i would be very interested to hear your take on the area. We are hoping to move to Canada this year, and reluctantly ruled out Ontario, mainly because of the pollution (we would have to live near Toronto for hubby's work)
We are officially landing in Toronto in March, although we will have to come back to the UK to sell up etc, but would like to check out places then. we are staying in Hamilton, is that anywhere near Barrie?

Rachel
Pollution in Toronto was brutal last year. From what I have found (only one summer in Barrie area thus far) the air is either better/clearer or it's one of those days where Ontario from Sudbury south to the US border is choking (not often but they do happen).
Someone may have stats to prove me (in)correct, though