Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barrie!

Wikiposts

Moving to Barrie!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:43 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Moving to Barrie!

Hi
We are hopefully moving to Barrie in August, we have family there!! We have been over twice already, both in the winter and in the fall. We like the older established east end of the town. We'd love to hear from anyone who has moved there, been there, any trails and tribulations etc...

Kelly
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:20 am
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Barrie!

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi
We are hopefully moving to Barrie in August, we have family there!! We have been over twice already, both in the winter and in the fall. We like the older established east end of the town. We'd love to hear from anyone who has moved there, been there, any trails and tribulations etc...

Kelly
Hi,

I grew up in Barrie. It is a really friendly town. My mom still lives just outside of Barrie and my sister in Alcona. The Beach area in the summer is beautiful for picnics and the kids have a great area to play. Toronto is close enough for communting and exploring.
Check out:
www.freecycle.org

Go to the Canada tab and look for Barrie. I am going back in July and have joined the Barrie freecycle group. I have had my mom pick up loads of stuff and store it for when I get there. My sister got 2 Snowboards off of it.

I have all kinds of web links for Barrie and area if you need any. Just PM me!

Good Luck....
SharmaGirl
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sharmagirl
Hi,

I grew up in Barrie. It is a really friendly town. My mom still lives just outside of Barrie and my sister in Alcona. The Beach area in the summer is beautiful for picnics and the kids have a great area to play. Toronto is close enough for communting and exploring.
Check out:
www.freecycle.org

Go to the Canada tab and look for Barrie. I am going back in July and have joined the Barrie freecycle group. I have had my mom pick up loads of stuff and store it for when I get there. My sister got 2 Snowboards off of it.

I have all kinds of web links for Barrie and area if you need any. Just PM me!

Good Luck....
SharmaGirl
Wow, I live in Alcona too! Moved here in Sept 2004. It is a small but lovely place. You're right about the beach - never too crowded either!
The big name stores in Barrie are only about 15 minutes away, so it's a great place to be. Barrie itself has a great deal to offer - there is always something going on.

Also look at www.barrie-life.com for events in the area - it's the online branch of Barrie Life & Times and South/North Simcoe Life & Times, which I write for part time (my wife and her mother run it). Tell your sister to pick up a copy at the exit of the Sobeys on Innisfil Beach Road and Jan's Blvd
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:20 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonthelad
Wow, I live in Alcona too! Moved here in Sept 2004. It is a small but lovely place. You're right about the beach - never too crowded either!
The big name stores in Barrie are only about 15 minutes away, so it's a great place to be. Barrie itself has a great deal to offer - there is always something going on.

Also look at www.barrie-life.com for events in the area - it's the online branch of Barrie Life & Times and South/North Simcoe Life & Times, which I write for part time (my wife and her mother run it). Tell your sister to pick up a copy at the exit of the Sobeys on Innisfil Beach Road and Jan's Blvd

Hey mate

Which part of the UK did you move from? Have you any regrets about moving to the Barrie area. Speaking of which it's taken a bit of a bashing on the Barrie-Mississauga commute thread.
Anyway thanks for the info.
Drew
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Hey mate

Which part of the UK did you move from? Have you any regrets about moving to the Barrie area. Speaking of which it's taken a bit of a bashing on the Barrie-Mississauga commute thread.
Anyway thanks for the info.
Drew
Hi,
I moved from Bournemouth back in June 1999. First moved to Aurora - not bad but expensive housing.
Then moved to Richmond Hill - most miserable bunch of people I've ever met.
Moved to Barrie area - no regrets. Mostly friendly people - good community spirit, lovely countryside on my doorstep, 5 minutes walk from the lake but the city is not too far away... but Barrie pretty much has everything I need for shops anyway.
Only since moving here in Sept 2004 have I begun to feel at home in Canada - no regrets at all
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:37 am
Kelly

Thanks for the positive response for Barrie, its good to hear that you feel you have settled well there. I have family there and we have been over a few times, we like what we've seen and its good to know that other people have found happiness there too.

Kelly
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

deppfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Barrie!

Hi

Kelly

Hi Kelly

We too are hoping to move to Barrie around the same time!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw your mail......we have family in Elmvale which is about a 20 minute drive. We were over there in the summer and loved it....looked at houses etc. Wow, what a small world!!!!

Do you have any children?? We have a 16 year old daughter - who isn't 100% sure about going and a 5 year old little boy.

Regards

marian
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:24 am
Kelly

Originally Posted by deppfan
Hi Kelly

We too are hoping to move to Barrie around the same time!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw your mail......we have family in Elmvale which is about a 20 minute drive. We were over there in the summer and loved it....looked at houses etc. Wow, what a small world!!!!

Do you have any children?? We have a 16 year old daughter - who isn't 100% sure about going and a 5 year old little boy.

Regards

marian
Hi Marian

It's Drew, Kelly's better half. Yes we have four kids between us. My two who live with their mum are staying over here. At 19 and 14 they don't really see the bigger picture yet, but the option for them to come over is always there.
My step kids are 18 and 10. Connor the 10 year old is coming with us but my stepdaughter is staying over here.

We too have looked at houses in Barrie's east end. we love it and love Barrie and the surrounding area. Kelly is Canadian and is sponsoring me. Our application was filed on Nov 7th last year and we've heard squat. It would appear though that a lot of people are in the same boat. See Family Class Processing Time thread.

Anyhow if all goes according to plan we should be over in August. If my visa hasn't come through or the house isn't sold Kell will come with Connor and get him into school, as she is Canadian she can go anytime she wants.

Take care

Drew
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:39 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Kelly
Hi, I grew up in Barrie as well (well, we moved there from brampton when i was 10 with my dad and stepmom, but when i was 15 I chose to move back to brampton to my mom).
I can't say I ever really bonded with it - I cringe everytime I am there. Perhaps its because I couldn't stand living with my stepmother, but it just never did it for me.
I don't know why - wish I could say! But I think for some young fmailies its a great place to start - but its developing ssssssssssssssoooooooooo fast.
I know when i take my BF back to canada with me barrie will be one place we will NOT live. We are looking more towards Georgetown/Glen Williams/Brampton side.
I also know Bramtpon gets a bad rap sometimes, but I think where I grew up and where we will stay once we get there is really pretty - all the houses were built during the war and have huge long properties. Of course since then there have also been HUGE developments, but I prefer it to Barrie anyday!
I am sure though that you will like it - I say give everything a chance.
Fluffy
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Don't forget that there are numerous small towns & villages in the surrounding area which you may find are more suitable for you to live, should you find Barrie's rapid-fire growth a bit too much to handle
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonthelad
Hi,
I moved from Bournemouth back in June 1999. First moved to Aurora - not bad but expensive housing.
Then moved to Richmond Hill - most miserable bunch of people I've ever met.
Moved to Barrie area - no regrets. Mostly friendly people - good community spirit, lovely countryside on my doorstep, 5 minutes walk from the lake but the city is not too far away... but Barrie pretty much has everything I need for shops anyway.
Only since moving here in Sept 2004 have I begun to feel at home in Canada - no regrets at all

Hi jonthelad,

We hear a lot about the pollution in the Toronto area (lakes not fit for swimming, yellow smog over the cities etc) so i would be very interested to hear your take on the area. We are hoping to move to Canada this year, and reluctantly ruled out Ontario, mainly because of the pollution (we would have to live near Toronto for hubby's work)
We are officially landing in Toronto in March, although we will have to come back to the UK to sell up etc, but would like to check out places then. we are staying in Hamilton, is that anywhere near Barrie?

Rachel
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Hi jonthelad,

We hear a lot about the pollution in the Toronto area (lakes not fit for swimming, yellow smog over the cities etc) so i would be very interested to hear your take on the area. We are hoping to move to Canada this year, and reluctantly ruled out Ontario, mainly because of the pollution (we would have to live near Toronto for hubby's work)
We are officially landing in Toronto in March, although we will have to come back to the UK to sell up etc, but would like to check out places then. we are staying in Hamilton, is that anywhere near Barrie?

Rachel
Have you previously been to Hamilton ? That seems an odd choice of place to stay for someone concerned about pollution.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you previously been to Hamilton ? That seems an odd choice of place to stay for someone concerned about pollution.

Oh no! is it that bad???

We are landing in Toronto (because it is nearer) I have relatives in there and we wanted to go and see Niagara Falls as well. Hamilton seemed to be mid way between the two.

Please tell me it's not that bad!!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Oh no! is it that bad???

We are landing in Toronto (because it is nearer) I have relatives in there and we wanted to go and see Niagara Falls as well. Hamilton seemed to be mid way between the two.

Please tell me it's not that bad!!
Well, no, it's not that bad. These pictures should give you the idea, lots of heavy industry on the lake, lots of nice parks a bit inland :

http://www.go-steeltown.com/hamilton_ontario/page2.htm

Same air as Toronto though.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:49 am
Kelly

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
Hi, I grew up in Barrie as well (well, we moved there from brampton when i was 10 with my dad and stepmom, but when i was 15 I chose to move back to brampton to my mom).
I can't say I ever really bonded with it - I cringe everytime I am there. Perhaps its because I couldn't stand living with my stepmother, but it just never did it for me.
I don't know why - wish I could say! But I think for some young fmailies its a great place to start - but its developing ssssssssssssssoooooooooo fast.
I know when i take my BF back to canada with me barrie will be one place we will NOT live. We are looking more towards Georgetown/Glen Williams/Brampton side.
I also know Bramtpon gets a bad rap sometimes, but I think where I grew up and where we will stay once we get there is really pretty - all the houses were built during the war and have huge long properties. Of course since then there have also been HUGE developments, but I prefer it to Barrie anyday!
I am sure though that you will like it - I say give everything a chance.
Fluffy
Hi Fluffy

Yes Barrie is developing very quickly. One of the fastest growing populations in North America I believe.

We really like it though and each to their own.

Take care and good luck

Drew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.