British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving back to UK - advice on selling car please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-back-uk-advice-selling-car-please-687001/)

littlebob Sep 26th 2010 5:07 pm

Moving back to UK - advice on selling car please!

Hi,

We're moving back to England in a few weeks and need to sell our car. We have a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2002 with low KMs. Can anyone recommend a car dealer who buys older cars without trade ins? We are in North Van.

Many thanks
Nicky

Aviator Sep 26th 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Moving back to UK - advice on selling car please!

Most dealers will buy for cash, don't expect a great deal though. You could also try posting it on this site in the classifieds section.

davecaemelan Sep 26th 2010 5:40 pm

Littlebob

Hi There...Can I ask why you are returning to the UK? work perhaps? I'm thinking on emigrating and trying to get people personal experiences etc?

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Regards
Dave

littlebob Sep 26th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by davecaemelan (Post 8877175)
Littlebob

Hi There...Can I ask why you are returning to the UK? work perhaps? I'm thinking on emigrating and trying to get people personal experiences etc?

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Regards
Dave

We have been in Vancouver since April and have found it a financial struggle ever since we got here. My husband was laid off last week as he does not have a BC teaching certificate so he can't get a teaching job in BC and we have 2 small children and don't want to drag them around the country looking for work. You also cannot apply for teaching jobs until you have the certificate for that province so it's a catch 22. There are many hidden costs in Canada mainly the HST but BC is very expensive and they want to charge you for everything! We even had to pay 300 dollars tax for buying a second hand car! Anyway it all adds up and we are not financially better off here so we are heading back home.
Where are you planning on going to?

Aviator Sep 26th 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by littlebob (Post 8877189)
There are many hidden costs in Canada mainly the HST but BC is very expensive and they want to charge you for everything! We even had to pay 300 dollars tax for buying a second hand car! Anyway it all adds up and we are not financially better off here so we are heading back home.
Where are you planning on going to?

HST is not hidden, unlike VAT in the UK, which is included in the price. HST in BC 12%, same as pre HST (GST & PST) on most things, VAT in the UK soon to be 20%.

I don't see how BC is different from anywhere else re paying for stuff? In many instances it is a lot cheaper than other parts of the world, the UK included. It was a year between visits to the UK and I was horrified how expensive everything was.

Feeling like you want to leave is normal for most, even up to the first three years. Getting a teaching job can take years, even for Canadians, it is a very protected career option and hard to break into for Canadian trained teachers.

littlebob Sep 26th 2010 7:03 pm

[QUOTE=The Aviator;8877262]HST is not hidden, unlike VAT in the UK, which is included in the price. HST in BC 12%, same as pre HST (GST & PST) on most things, VAT in the UK soon to be 20%.

I don't see how BC is different from anywhere else re paying for stuff? In many instances it is a lot cheaper than other parts of the world, the UK included. It was a year between visits to the UK and I was horrified how expensive everything was.

Feeling like you want to leave is normal for most, even up to the first three years. Getting a teaching job can take years, even for Canadians, it is a very protected career option and hard to break into for Canadian trained teachers.

davecaemelan Sep 26th 2010 7:37 pm

Hi littlebob

I see..Sorry to hear your heading home already!! I've read about the taxes :)

I'm considering heading to Moncton New Brunswick?? I'm planning a recce next April for 2 weeks. Both me and my partner fancy a better life/work balance....

I work as a fire safety officer for the Fire & rescue service and my partner works for the NHS as a care worker.

Been thinking there must be more to life than paying the mortgage??? hence the exploring. I should be lucky enough to start off over there with around $200000 to buy a house and get settled etc.

The only problem is selling my house in this current housing market and my job is not directly transferable so I could be looking at a career change.

I hopefully wont have a mortgage so that should take the "life pressure"out having to work to make ends meet!!

Cheers
Dave

Piff Poff Sep 26th 2010 8:02 pm

We are successful with selling cars on Kijiji - shame your not closer we may have bough the cruiser if it's an auto.

There was one at the auction we went to yesterday that only sold for $2200, that was also a 2002 but had, had an obvious rear end repair.

Just be prepared fro idiots and no shows - a lot of that goes on.

JamesM Sep 26th 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by littlebob (Post 8877120)
Hi,

We're moving back to England in a few weeks and need to sell our car. We have a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2002 with low KMs. Can anyone recommend a car dealer who buys older cars without trade ins? We are in North Van.

Many thanks
Nicky

I would definately try autotrader and your local paper. The dealer will offer you a really low price as they will look to sell the car with at least a $1k profit to make it worthwhile.

jerry brewer Sep 27th 2010 3:47 am

Hi
Pm sent I might know someone who is after one.
cheers
Jerry

cityhog Sep 27th 2010 3:58 am

Originally Posted by littlebob (Post 8877189)
We even had to pay 300 dollars tax for buying a second hand car!

If you're not the first owner of your car, it's not easy to sell your car.

snowshoveller Sep 27th 2010 9:39 am

try kijiji, we sold our truck within a couple of days for the price asked when heading back to uk. infact we got rid of most stuff on kijiji, in one case within 30 mins of placing ad!

oh and get it safetied prior to sale, seems to be helpful

littlebob Sep 27th 2010 2:48 pm

oh and get it safetied prior to sale, seems to be helpful[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. What does safetied mean?

Thanks

iaink Sep 27th 2010 2:51 pm

Safetied = passed the ministry safety test that used vehicles need before the next owner can register it.

Stick it on the Kijiji adds, you will get more than from a dealer. Cheap to advertise too.

Aviator Sep 27th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8879195)
Safetied = passed the ministry safety test that used vehicles need before the next owner can register it.

Must be a foreign thing, not in BC. So long as it has aircare you are OK.