Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Back To The UK

Moving Back To The UK

Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To The UK

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
Wow so depressing that I have to spend about £450k to get a small 3 bed semi, if I'm lucky. Joys of the SE of England.
indeed it could be depressing at those prices, yet it could get better moving North or NE rather than the SE, even lower property prices in Bridlington

4 bedroom for £107,000, get rid of the junk, clean & paint....

4 bed terraced house for sale in Quay Road, Bridlington YO16 - 38387005 - Zoopla
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:23 am
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Wow so depressing that I have to spend about £450k to get a small 3 bed semi, if I'm lucky. Joys of the SE of England.
I feel your pain! I've been looking at Chichester and surrounding areas, I seem to have champagne tastes on a beer budget 😂
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You'd get a 3 bed semi for less than that where I live - we paid just over that for our 6 bed 4500sq ft farmhouse with a couple of acres. Granted, it was a few years ago but even so......prices haven't risen that much!

If you're in prime commuter areas such as Surrey, or more towards central London, then it can be very pricey, but if you want South East then look at cheaper counties such as Bedfordshire maybe?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd get a 3 bed semi for less than that where I live - we paid just over that for our 6 bed 4500sq ft farmhouse with a couple of acres. Granted, it was a few years ago but even so......prices haven't risen that much!

If you're in prime commuter areas such as Surrey, or more towards central London, then it can be very pricey, but if you want South East then look at cheaper counties such as Bedfordshire maybe?
Where you are, that must have been a good few years ago and I would imagine that price has actually risen significantly higher than you suggest- prices as you know have continued to rise rapidly in the Home Counties as well as elsewhere in the commuter belt .I gather that you live within this area. No way could one buy a large 6 bed Georgian farmhouse with 2 acres within commuting distance London for say £500 or anywhere near that unless it was a shell and even then you would be lucky.

We lived in Norfolk, prices for these properties shot up, rectories, halls houses etc, fed by the London crowd living the weekend country life or even daily commuting, way more expensive and difficult than commuting from the Home Counties.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Feb 17th 2017 at 7:10 am.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
If you read my whole article I said it was dependent on where you lived in Canada. I originally come from the Northeast of England. This paragraph is from the Telegraph in January 2016.
The North East of England saw the smallest annual increase in house prices across the regions, with a 0.2pc increase taking the average property value there to £97,117.
I can only relate to the area of the Country that I can compare property prices to at the time I left the UK to come to Canada. I stand by my statement That I can get way more today in Northeastern England than I could ever hope to get 3 years ago.
I'd already guessed that from your username. I used to live on Kenton Road.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd already guessed that from your username. I used to live on Kenton Road.
Well I came from Newburn and Throckley but We called our dog Kenton...Go figure
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

In my neck of the woods that sort of money would buy you something like this.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...Parc-Champlain
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

I believe Canadian property prices are totally stupid

Getting back to what Kentonmag was saying about house comparisons to certain area's of the UK to Canada - back in my home town in Mersyside I can get a decent (on the market today) 3 bedroom corner terraced house with two downstairs reception rooms, big kitchen & bigger than noprmal by comaprison bedrooms for £40,000 or less, thats what its is, no mistake in the 000's, just £40k

I've been looking at this & would definitely on a return to the UK buy one similar to then flip it on a 'Rent to Own' (lease to own) 3 year term. Nice income, no issues with the tenant.

Then again, I suppose £450k for a semi in the SE is what it is, similar to the GTA or Vancouver

Last edited by not2old; Feb 17th 2017 at 12:04 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

I could live with it but how much sense does it make to have a bathtub in a bedroom with a hardwood floor?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I could live with it but how much sense does it make to have a bathtub in a bedroom with a hardwood floor?
It was only an illustration. It's actually quite hard to spend that sort of money around here. I think the mls search I did for the 700-750 range threw up about five properties.

Go any higher and you'd be looking at mansions on the river.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
Well I came from Newburn and Throckley but We called our dog Kenton...Go figure
We called our ex-dog Geordie. Go figure too.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by not2old
indeed it could be depressing at those prices, yet it could get better moving North or NE rather than the SE, even lower property prices in Bridlington

4 bedroom for £107,000, get rid of the junk, clean & paint....

4 bed terraced house for sale in Quay Road, Bridlington YO16 - 38387005 - Zoopla
Why do I get the impression that we might be near neighbours one day?
Old Feb 18th 2017, 5:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Where you are, that must have been a good few years ago and I would imagine that price has actually risen significantly higher than you suggest- prices as you know have continued to rise rapidly in the Home Counties as well as elsewhere in the commuter belt .I gather that you live within this area. No way could one buy a large 6 bed Georgian farmhouse with 2 acres within commuting distance London for say £500 or anywhere near that unless it was a shell and even then you would be lucky.

We lived in Norfolk, prices for these properties shot up, rectories, halls houses etc, fed by the London crowd living the weekend country life or even daily commuting, way more expensive and difficult than commuting from the Home Counties.
Yup.

Farmhouse commuting distance london - Trovit
Old Feb 18th 2017, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There's properties in that list for less than £500k, so not sure what that proves. And who said commuting distance to London? The person I was responding to simply said South East, no mention of needing to commute to London at all.

My point is simply that ScotinCanada could get a 3 bed semi for less than £450k in the South East, despite what they think.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 6:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's properties in that list for less than £500k, so not sure what that proves. And who said commuting distance to London? The person I was responding to simply said South East, no mention of needing to commute to London at all.

My point is simply that ScotinCanada could get a 3 bed semi for less than £450k in the South East, despite what they think.
None of those properties are anywhere near the South East.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.