Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by iaink
Certainly debt levels in the UK far exceed those in Canada. But its individuals that take on debt, lets not blame either country. The canadian economy is largely resource based (oil, lumber, minerals), with a decent amount of manufacturing still. Its certainly not as service driven as the UK...you cant outsource resources. Canada's immigration driven expansion will in some ways help with any demographic shortfall.
But the services sector in Canada employs 75% of the Canadian work force and accounts for over two thirds of the GDP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
But the services sector in Canada employs 75% of the Canadian work force and accounts for over two thirds of the GDP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada
"Canada is unusual among developed countries in the importance of the primary sector, with the logging and oil industries being two of Canada's most important. Canada also has a sizable manufacturing sector, centred in Central Canada, with the automobile industry especially important."

Taken from the said Wiki Article.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt_Geo
I am genuinely surprised by this, do you know what the UK is like at the moment?! Take it from someone who had to come back to the UK because of a redundancy in the gold industry (pre $1200/oz). It sucks over here, national insurance is going up, the cost of food is going up, the cost of petrol, council tax, everything. You may get more money in the UK but relatively speaking you'll be spending exactly the same. As for Canadians being two-faced, I'm sure some are... like some brits are, but from my experience they are the most welcoming and friendly people, better than stuck up, rude brits. Besides a good bottle of wine here is a minimum 8 GBP and the UKs national debt is only increasing resulting in the collapse of public services... so think seriously before making such a drastic decision..
This is very true - I love UK but lets admit it guys it is getting worse. Perhaps some of you lived in the small towns or villages, that have close and friendly communities, but I have lived in London for 10 years and the place is getting scary.
My wife sometimes works till 9 pm, once she is in our area (Walthamstow, that used to be a better area only 5 years ago) she is fast walking from the bus stop, while constantly checking behind her back to make sure no one is following her...
Even when you open a METRO newspaper, it is very unpleasant to read these days as every page is about recession, stubbing, killing, raping, yobs ... just name it, all the nasty news.
We decided to emigrate to Canada and our PR is now approved - still love UK, of course, but it seems to us that we will feel a lot safer in Canada, especially once we have kids.
So here is food for though - think really well, do not allow your hart to rule your mind, you may be just home sick, go on holiday and, if it does not help, then leave Canada.

Last edited by Powermantic; Jan 13th 2010 at 8:24 am. Reason: gramma
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Powermantic
This is very true - I love UK but lets admit it guys it is getting worse. Perhaps some of you lived in the small towns or villages, that have close and friendly communities, but I have lived in London for 10 years and the place is getting scary.
My wife some times works till 9 pm, once she is in our area (Walthamstow, that used to be a better area only 5 years ago) she is fast walking from the bus stop, while constantly checking behind her back to make sure no one is following her...
Even when you open a METRO newspaper, it is very unpleasant to read these days as every page is about recession, stubbing, killing, raping, yobs ... just name it, all the nasty news.
We decided to emigrate to Canada and our PR is now approved - still love UK of course but it seems to us that we will feel a lot safer in Canada, especially once we have a children
So here is food for though - think really well, do not allow your hart to rule your mind, you may be just home sick, go on holiday and, if it does not help, then leave Canada.
Oh, and another one!
Was driving my van recently and guess what they are talking about on the radio?! - Due to recession and high rates of unemployment there had been rise in the amounts of violent burglaries, regardless whether someone is or is not inside the house... So, they gave an advise- to get a good local builder, who could fit strong locks on the bathroom doors, in case of someone braking into your house you can hide with your family in the bathroom!!! Additionally, they advise to keep a bottle of water and a charged mobile phone in the bathroom, too - scary staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Powermantic; Jan 13th 2010 at 8:03 am. Reason: gramma
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:31 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

How is the burgalary violent when nobody is in the house. Are the burglars just then violent towards each other?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife sometimes works till 9 pm, once she is in our area (Walthamstow, that used to be a better area only 5 years ago) she is fast walking from the bus stop, while constantly checking behind her back to make sure no one is following her...
We decided to emigrate to Canada and our PR is now approved - still love UK, of course, but it seems to us that we will feel a lot safer in Canada, especially once we have kids.
I'm in SW London and feel safe. Try moving out of the dirty SE London and you may be more comfortable. Canada is a long and expensive way to go just to feel safe.

Also, might i advise you to not read the trashy newspapers. I don't and it's very refreshing. It makes you realise the doom and gloom is in text only, not reality.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:50 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and another one!
Was driving my van recently and guess what they are talking about on the radio?! - Due to recession and high rates of unemployment there had been rise in the amounts of violent burglaries, regardless whether someone is or is not inside the house... So, they gave an advise- to get a good local builder, who could fit strong locks on the bathroom doors, in case of someone braking into your house you can hide with your family in the bathroom!!! Additionally, they advise to keep a bottle of water and a charged mobile phone in the bathroom, too - scary staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So people who have been made redundant are now turning to violent crime to pay the bills?

Surely many violent criminals aren't affected by unemployment because they're not employed in the first place.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:50 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm in SW London and feel safe. Try moving out of the dirty SE London and you may be more comfortable. Canada is a long and expensive way to go just to feel safe.

Also, might i advise you to not read the trashy newspapers. I don't and it's very refreshing. It makes you realise the doom and gloom is in text only, not reality.

Absolutely, I live in Central Manchester and I can't imagine many safer places to live in the Western world. I virtually never even see any sort of crime, nevermind risk being a victim of it.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

So people who have been made redundant are now turning to violent crime to pay the bills?

Surely many violent criminals aren't affected by unemployment because they're not employed in the first place.
Again, this is very true. They're not exactly going to be made redundant from the dole queue are they.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

I agree to your point - it is not my opinion, it is what I heard on the radio...
Of course not every unemployed person is a thieve, but It seems statistics demonstrate an increase in crime and they think it is a result of rising unemployment
I received temporary redundancy notice in January 2009 and was unemployed till July 2009 (well I was doing bits and peaces in the meantime) but unemployment did not make me a burglar.

Last edited by Powermantic; Jan 13th 2010 at 9:20 am. Reason: gramma
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Anyway - I wrote this only to say to those that immigrated to Canada something like 10-20 years ago, that UK is a bit different now from what you remember and give it an extra thought before selling your property and pulling out your kids from Canadian schools.
I guess the old saying "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" speaks for itself.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:49 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and another one!
Yes it's easy to attach a cost to food, housing etc and say that the standard of living isn't much different. But unless you are a victim of crime you cannot measure it's cost. Canada with out question has a lower crime rate than England. The worst parts of Toronto are far less scary than the worst parts of London.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:55 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Absolutely, I live in Central Manchester and I can't imagine many safer places to live in the Western world. I virtually never even see any sort of crime, nevermind risk being a victim of it.
I can think of hundreds of safer places- Manchester is a terrible place to live. Just venture up the road to Salford or go for a run in Platt Fields after 9pm.

In 3 years in Manchester I was burgled twice and witnessed easily a dozen violent assaults.

Perhaps it's nicer to live than Liverpool but that's it.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:59 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Southweat London is a nice part of the world to be in. It is quite safe with excellent ammenities.

Rediculously expensive property and quite congested but I really enjoyed living in Clapham for two years.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:15 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and another one!
Guys get serious !!! What about in Alberta, Canada !!! A Man sitting on the bus, the passenger next to him starts stabbing him to death, cuts his head off, then calmly walks off the bus holding his victims severed head in his hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SQ5Ifobss
Wake up guys, there are still plenty of safe places in the UK, lots of beautiful towns and villages. You have to choose carefully where you live.
If you think by moving to Canada you are going to escape crime, well you better think again. Just because a country chooses to hide its crime from the outside world do not think it does not exist there.
This report from 2006 showed the crime rate in Canada to be double that of the US !!
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...4/150547.shtml

Last edited by pgtips; Jan 13th 2010 at 10:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.