Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Dec 25th 2009, 9:43 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Cheap alcahol in UK supermarkets will start to dry up soon. The UK Government, currently running at huge deficits, has been targeting "binge" drinking and alcohol for a while. It is only a matter of time before they apply extra duties and taxes and then I think alcohol in the UK will be more in line with Canada.

With regards to expensive cheese have you tried making your own?
Old Dec 25th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
With regards to expensive cheese have you tried making your own?
Is it expensive?
Old Dec 25th 2009, 3:16 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

There are cheaper options here. Local independent, smaller restaurants have a lot of beers around the 4 dollar a bottle price point. Also it's also worth checking what is on special. There is usually something, if your are not stuck on one brand. Also pitchers are another option.

I hate here how you are expected to tip which in reality increases the prices even more.

I don't drink much and cut back on cheese (cholesterol has sure been better since).
Old Dec 25th 2009, 9:49 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Beer in a pub is only $4.50-6.00 a pint here, generally around the $5 mark.... Cheaper if you go for a pitcher. Most I've paid is I think $7 or $8 and that was in an *ahem* gentlemen's establishment
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
...that was in an *ahem* gentlemen's establishment
Men's washroom?
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:02 pm
Banned

begmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nice

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
This "two faced- and really cant be trusted" often you get it any country where you are a minority in the society or community.

lol 20 dollars..wine........seriously ?
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really nice

Why has this degenerated into a deiscussion about alcohol?
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:05 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by begmohsin
This "two faced- and really cant be trusted" often you get it any country where you are a minority in the society or community.

lol 20 dollars..wine........seriously ?
don't believe anything you read on here
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Men's washroom?
http://www.cheetahsofwindsor.com/
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

to original poster Canadiangrape

another poster said this:

" Spending part of your life, living in another country is a great experience in itself, even if you do not stay".

this is one of the best comments I have heard !

not only that, you must feel good about all the effort to get here and what it will take to get back and pick up where you left off

There are some very glib posters who will toss in the "fail" card at every opportunity when a poster says they have decided to return home....imagine living with a person like that....and it's not "failing" if you dont like a country, a job, a person, or a food
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:07 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnh009
I think the reality of the situation is that Canada is not as good as it was, at least since I came here in 1987, and from a material standpoint. There is probably now, no benefit in coming here from Europe. Those who came in the fifties and sixties did extremely well.
I agree with this. When my parents emigrated to Canada in the early fifties they quickly established themselves. Not only did my parents emigrate to Canada but so did but my dad's sister, my mum's cousins etc. Property was cheap and the economy was booming. Tens of thousands of brits emigrated here every year back then. Now I wouldn't recommend anyone coming here from Western Europe unless they have substantial resources and/or an existing support network within Canada.

At least one benefit for the OP of going back to the UK will be the favourable exchange rate.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:08 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends on your reasons for moving really, be they economic or otherwise. I'm trying to give Bunac a shot this year as ever since I was a kid I have never really felt at home in my own country and unfortunately the closest I ever felt to feeling at home was when I was in the US a few years ago. As long as I can live a reasonably comfortable life then I'm not too bothered, I've never really been one for owning property or cars anyway as those things don't particularly interest me.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:11 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
to original poster Canadiangrape

another poster said this:

" Spending part of your life, living in another country is a great experience in itself, even if you do not stay".

this is one of the best comments I have heard !

not only that, you must feel good about all the effort to get here and what it will take to get back and pick up where you left off

There are some very glib posters who will toss in the "fail" card at every opportunity when a poster says they have decided to return home....imagine living with a person like that....and it's not "failing" if you dont like a country, a job, a person, or a food
Reading through the lines the OP sound terribly homesick and nothing will remedy that other than a trip back home. This has nothing to do with wine or cheese. If their spirit belongs in England that is the best thing for them.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:12 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I agree with this. When my parents emigrated to Canada in the early fifties they quickly established themselves. Not only did my parents emigrate to Canada but so did but my dad's sister, my mum's cousins etc. Property was cheap and the economy was booming. Tens of thousands of brits emigrated here every year back then. Now I wouldn't recommend anyone coming here from Western Europe unless they have substantial resources and/or an existing support network within Canada.

At least one benefit for the OP of going back to the UK will be the favourable exchange rate.
You make a lot of sense. My sentiments exactly !!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro

It's a fair point.

I am making the big move to Canada on Friday.

Whilst I do not think there were many benefits a couple of years ago of moving apart from more property for your buck- I do now think that Canada (Toronto) where I am moving has a stronger job market than London.

Also the recession in the UK, still going has been deep and brutal. Whilst we may get minimal growth in the next couple of years unemployment is expected to continue rising.

I have been alarmed at the decline in UK exchange rate but with interest rates in the UK to remain excetionally low for upto the next 5 years it is all the more reason to move and earn in dollars.

The UK has been through a golden growth phase (fuelled by debt) in the last 15 years which I think in material wealth has meant we have closed the gap, overtaken many economies. But I think the next 15 years will see the UK regress in the world.

Canada in my opinion will outperform the UK and you may find the gap of life quality seen in the 50's and 60's re-appears.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 11th 2010 at 9:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.