Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Matt_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
I am genuinely surprised by this, do you know what the UK is like at the moment?! Take it from someone who had to come back to the UK because of a redundancy in the gold industry (pre $1200/oz). It sucks over here, national insurance is going up, the cost of food is going up, the cost of petrol, council tax, everything. You may get more money in the UK but relatively speaking you'll be spending exactly the same. As for Canadians being two-faced, I'm sure some are... like some brits are, but from my experience they are the most welcoming and friendly people, better than stuck up, rude brits. Besides a good bottle of wine here is a minimum 8 GBP and the UKs national debt is only increasing resulting in the collapse of public services... so think seriously before making such a drastic decision..
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems to me the price of wine and the quality of the cheese are fair complaints against Canada. Fair reason to leave? Dunno about that.
I am also at a loss to understand this motive. Spending part of your life, living in another country is a great experience in itself, even if you do not stay. There are pros and cons everywhere. Anyway, I drink the Italian plonk from the LCBO at $6.95 a bottle. By the third bottle you cannot tell the difference.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Bikini bottom uk will become famous soon enoughBikini bottom uk will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, I have to say I'm with Canadiangrape. We have been here in Vancouver nearly 3 years...and after several bad work experiences (hubby has been laid off TWICE in 18 months!) His last employer had the bare faced cheek to tell hubby that he wanted a 'White' Canadian to represent the company...hubby in Black-British. He layed him off with no pay, stat pay ect...nothing. So we're now having to go through Employment Standards and Human Rights to get some kind of justice. We lived in a housing complex which was dreadful, awful management, that tried to keep our deposit when we left, had to take them to the Rental Dispute place.

We too find so much two-faced behaviour, lots of smiles to your face and them knives in the back. The jobs I have had, has been littered with miserable, nuerotic people, who are big on over working the employees for minimum pay..and this is in professional office environments...I had to quit my last job because my employer told me I had to basically do as they wanted or leave!!

We have got to the point that, as beautiful as the scenery is..it's not worth being so miserable. And yes it is bloody expensive!! for what you are getting. Suddenly all the things we left the UK for, in comparison, isn't looking so bad. Here doesnt feel like home....the only reson we are still here is the that the kids love it..school is 'easier' than in the UK..my 15 yr old loves it.

So, right now, given the chance, I'd be on a plane. We've decided to give it until summer...then we'll start the process to get out of here. And yes, I guess the UK isn't all we remember or worse..but when in doubt..go home...
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

You lot need to leave the forums aside and stop being so frigging negative,put the pc aside and get out doing things.Only reason I'm on here now is because of 2 feet of snow outside,listening to the posters on here wants to make me slash my wriists,moan moan freakin moan !!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
You lot need to leave the forums aside and stop being so frigging negative,put the pc aside and get out doing things.Only reason I'm on here now is because of 2 feet of snow outside,listening to the posters on here wants to make me slash my wriists,moan moan freakin moan !!
Please dont let us stop you.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikini bottom uk
I had to quit my last job because my employer told me I had to basically do as they wanted or leave!!
You had to do what they wanted I'm not surpirsed you left, the nerve of it, when all they do is pay the wages.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
listening to the posters on here
How can you listen to the posters or did I miss the audio channel on BE?
Old Dec 24th 2009, 12:23 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You had to do what they wanted I'm not surpirsed you left, the nerve of it, when all they do is pay the wages.
A substantial post containing personal observations & experiences, some of which would be shocking to even the most cynical of bullies on these boards & this is what you choose to single out.?... Not the blatant racism, nor the lack of employee rights or even the situation with tenants rights...
You obviously realise that the OP refers to her employer expecting their employees to do whatever they are told, regardless of employment contracts, working conditions or Canadian employment law, yet why offer support when a cowardly attack will suffice.?.. Merry Christmas..

..Oh, & the remark about the audio on here was priceless, perhaps you could look into writing for radio. With a wit as honed as yours you could give all the satirists a run for their money.. If only pedantry were comedy gold..
Old Dec 24th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
A substantial post containing personal observations & experiences, some of which would be shocking to even the most cynical of bullies on these boards & this is what you choose to single out.?... Not the blatant racism, nor the lack of employee rights or even the situation with tenants rights...
You obviously realise that the OP refers to her employer expecting their employees to do whatever they are told, regardless of employment contracts, working conditions or Canadian employment law, yet why offer support when a cowardly attack will suffice.?.. Merry Christmas..

And with the job market contracting in so many area's, such abuses will be on the increase I fear.....I have never been the member of a Union in my life however, when one reads of such employers one can understand why so many relatively passive Canadians are increasingly exercising this option (where they are permitted to....)
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Bikini bottom uk will become famous soon enoughBikini bottom uk will become famous soon enough

..Oh, & the remark about the audio on here was priceless, perhaps you could look into writing for radio. With a wit as honed as yours you could give all the satirists a run for their money.. If only pedantry were comedy gold..
Thanks JS..someone with sense at last..that was exactly my point...I was contracted to do 25 hr week as a Marketing Coordinator, I soon found myself HAVING to do 40+ hours a week...I have kids to consider, the whole reason why I opted for p/t..then I was told I had to go on a out of country trip.. I asked them who would watch my kids...I was told the company comes first..so basically screw you and the kids....no employment ethics let alone rights!!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Matt_Geo
I am genuinely surprised by this, do you know what the UK is like at the moment?! Take it from someone who had to come back to the UK because of a redundancy in the gold industry (pre $1200/oz). It sucks over here, national insurance is going up, the cost of food is going up, the cost of petrol, council tax, everything. You may get more money in the UK but relatively speaking you'll be spending exactly the same. As for Canadians being two-faced, I'm sure some are... like some brits are, but from my experience they are the most welcoming and friendly people, better than stuck up, rude brits. Besides a good bottle of wine here is a minimum 8 GBP and the UKs national debt is only increasing resulting in the collapse of public services... so think seriously before making such a drastic decision..
I'll give you some examples at current exchange rates:

1 pint (actually less than that) of beer in downtown pub - $7 = 4.10 pounds
Cheapest, nastiest bottle of wine - $9 = 5.30 pounds
6 x 330 ml beers - $8-12 = 4.70-7 pounds
Average house price in Vancouver - $700k = 400k + pounds
Annual car insurance - $1,100 = 650 pounds

Petrol is half the price here, eating out (but gradually getting more expensive) & household insurance seems cheap, but most things seem at least par, if not more expensive than UK on possibly par or less wages.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
A substantial post containing personal observations & experiences, some of which would be shocking to even the most cynical of bullies on these boards & this is what you choose to single out.?
You obviously realise that the OP refers to her employer expecting their employees to do whatever they are told, regardless of employment contracts, working conditions or Canadian employment law, yet why offer support when a cowardly attack will suffice.?
I was contracted to do 25 hr week as a Marketing Coordinator, I soon found myself HAVING to do 40+ hours a week....no employment ethics let alone rights!!
Unfortunately some people appear to believe employers can just disregard things like contracts and working conditions. No names mentioned of course.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:29 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brizzle
I'll give you some examples at current exchange rates:

1 pint (actually less than that) of beer in downtown pub - $7 = 4.10 pounds
Cheapest, nastiest bottle of wine - $9 = 5.30 pounds
6 x 330 ml beers - $8-12 = 4.70-7 pounds
Average house price in Vancouver - $700k = 400k + pounds
Annual car insurance - $1,100 = 650 pounds

Petrol is half the price here, eating out (but gradually getting more expensive) & household insurance seems cheap, but most things seem at least par, if not more expensive than UK on possibly par or less wages.
Looks pretty grim when converted to pounds -Funny how Brits gravitate to the cost of booze! the present exchange rate makes things look worse as I daresay that it does in a number of other places, given the state of the pound, sure makes my wages look better though!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, I have to say I'm with Canadiangrape. We have been here in Vancouver nearly 3 years...and after several bad work experiences (hubby has been laid off TWICE in 18 months!) His last employer had the bare faced cheek to tell hubby that he wanted a 'White' Canadian to represent the company...hubby in Black-British. He layed him off with no pay, stat pay ect...nothing. So we're now having to go through Employment Standards and Human Rights to get some kind of justice. We lived in a housing complex which was dreadful, awful management, that tried to keep our deposit when we left, had to take them to the Rental Dispute place.

We too find so much two-faced behaviour, lots of smiles to your face and them knives in the back. The jobs I have had, has been littered with miserable, nuerotic people, who are big on over working the employees for minimum pay..and this is in professional office environments...I had to quit my last job because my employer told me I had to basically do as they wanted or leave!!

We have got to the point that, as beautiful as the scenery is..it's not worth being so miserable. And yes it is bloody expensive!! for what you are getting. Suddenly all the things we left the UK for, in comparison, isn't looking so bad. Here doesnt feel like home....the only reson we are still here is the that the kids love it..school is 'easier' than in the UK..my 15 yr old loves it.

So, right now, given the chance, I'd be on a plane. We've decided to give it until summer...then we'll start the process to get out of here. And yes, I guess the UK isn't all we remember or worse..but when in doubt..go home...
Having been here 17 years, I’m horrified and more than a little surprised by what happened to your OH. I’ve always found Vancouver to be a very tolerant place. This is blatant racism and a very interesting human interest story that deserves to be told. I would get a hold of the media. I’m very surprised that someone would make such a statement in this day and age.

Vancouver is a very tough place to break in to. Housing costs are prohibitive, wages are n’t that high and wine and cheese are pricey! You defiantly need to have a well above average wage to make ends meet here, probably two. Having said that though, I find people are no more inclined to be two faced here than anywhere else. I have great Canadian friends who are amongst the warmest people I’ve ever known - been married to one Canadian and now engaged to another - and have had nothing but positive experiences in the work place. Yet to be stabbed in the back.

I’d hate for someone to read your post and assume that this is typical behavior towards minorities, in fact I should imagine that one would be very hard pressed to find an ‘all white workforce’ in any sizeable company in Vancouver. My office consists of me, the token Brit, an east Indian female and a male, a black Canadian, one Pole, a Newfie and a lad from Campbell River. My overriding experience here is that there is far less racism and much more tolerance, although my experiences are restricted to Vancouver/Burnaby/ tri cities and I couldn’t comment on areas further out such as the valley (not sure where you are living).

Good luck on your move and please, call the media!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say I;ve seen far less racism in Canda than the UK. My office is truly mulitcultural. bbuk I think many Canadians would be shocked by what your husband was told. Not only is it illegal, it goes against who were are as a country. I echo dboy and say, let the media know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.