Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:44 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by Deva
Cheese again. Has any other food product shattered more ex-pat dreams?
Sausages. You just cant get a good sausage.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britcanuck6
can anyone give me information regarding moving back to England after living in Canada for 20 years......I am now a Canadian citizen and have never renewed my British passport. Also how does it work to get my pension from Canada etc etc???? Any and all info will be appreciated - thanks
You can enter the UK on a Canadian passport or you can apply for a UK passport (through the US office now).

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports

I believe you can have your Canadian pension paid into a bank account in the UK, or Canada and then transfer the cash yourself to the UK.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...apension.shtml

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 22nd 2009 at 1:22 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:54 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
Cheese again. Has any other food product shattered more ex-pat dreams?
Try Balderson cheese - I buy a huge wedge of it for about $20 at Costco, cut it into smaller wedges and freeze them. Lasts me ages and I have to say it is some of the nicest cheddar I have ever had (especially the 6 year matured).

J
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

I've just returned from my first visit back to the UK in 4 years. I was astonished at how cheap everything is back home, and how much better value. Did all my Christmas shopping for a fraction of the price! And I was very aware how much better the customer service is back home and how much friendlier and helpful the staff in shops are (this may just be Newcastle though )

I was also surprised in how much I was looking forward to getting back 'home' to Canada though, which I wasn't expecting. Not sure I could live in the UK permenantly again.

When deciding whether to live in the UK or Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) just remember the phrase 'same shit, different bucket' is very appropriate
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique

Your personal problems ought to remain just that.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I've just returned from my first visit back to the UK in 4 years. I was astonished at how cheap everything is back home, and how much better value. Did all my Christmas shopping for a fraction of the price! And I was very aware how much better the customer service is back home and how much friendlier and helpful the staff in shops are (this may just be Newcastle though )

I was also surprised in how much I was looking forward to getting back 'home' to Canada though, which I wasn't expecting. Not sure I could live in the UK permenantly again.

When deciding whether to live in the UK or Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) just remember the phrase 'same shit, different bucket' is very appropriate
Who said the UK is expensive?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...3&in_page_id=8
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:13 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Your personal problems ought to remain just that.
I felt I was ready to go public with this one.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I felt I was ready to go public with this one.
Well I believe Novo was offering sausage on another thread.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
The Currys are pants, Bacon is NOT the same.

The snow is deep, the winters are cold, Drs drive taxis, Engineers deliver Pizza, there are Anabaptists everywhere, Medical Insurance is expensive, Drivers are crap, Alberta is ruining the enviroment, .................................................. ..............................
.................................................. ..................
.................................................. .....................
.................................................. ...............................

..and the bad points?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Patsy
..and the bad points?
Did I mention The TV, whining brits, no football, even less cricket, domestic beer....................................
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

yeah,that's about right in Ontario(center of the universe).Come out to the real world(sk),shoot some Moose/Deer,makes the most awesome sausage.Would put Bowyers to shame!!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Basically you are suggesting that they are ****** wherever they live. That's a rather sobering thought.
It IS a sobering thought, but I didn't actually suggest that they are ******, just expressed a hope that they would settle.

Even people who are quite happy here sometimes do not really consider it HOME, yet when they go back don't really feel at home in the UK either ... you can end up feeling a bit "Mid-Atlantic!"
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
As a dreaded Cradle Canadian I can say we are two faced. We are raised with this cultural value that one must always appear to be a nice person. Today my son’s teacher stressed that while the that shortbread cookies for the holidays we gave her were nice but not necessary. I responded with the standard sorry when what I really wanted to say was “I was doing something nice for the holidays you miserable cow, would it kill you to be appreciative ?!”
I don't see why you were offended by that response ... isn't it a common politeness to say "Oh, you shouldn't have!" or "You didn't need to do that!" ... meaning, "How generous (but nice) of you!". Could she not have meant that??

.... Maybe you had to have been there.......
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I don't see why you were offended by that response ... isn't it a common politeness to say "Oh, you shouldn't have!" or "You didn't need to do that!" ... meaning, "How generous (but nice) of you!". Could she not have meant that??

.... Maybe you had to have been there.......
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=.

feeling a bit "Mid-Atlantic!" [/QUOTE]

what you mean all at sea??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.