Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Is this a serious post? Maybe it should be merged with one of the Maple Leaf "Canada Sucks/Life sucks" blah blah threads
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone give me information regarding moving back to England after living in Canada for 20 years......I am now a Canadian citizen and have never renewed my British passport. Also how does it work to get my pension from Canada etc etc???? Any and all info will be appreciated - thanks
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
At the risk of repeating myself, I was told by an elderly patient in the UK years ago that most people who "fail" emigrating do so because they can't get Marmite!

When I looked surprised he explained that if not Marmite per se it could be cheese, or wine or whatever, ... but some small and apparently inconsequential item that summed up for the emigrant as the whole reason why they were miserable in their new life.

Of course it's not the reason, ... it's a symptom of the fact that they really can't settle, and becomes a tangible focus for their discontent.

If you are happy then the fact that some item of food is "inferior", prohibitively expensive or unavailable is really no deal-breaker.

Sorry you did not settle. Hope you can settle back in the UK, though it's been seen many times on here that once home, folks might remember why they left in the first place. You can end up feeling disgruntled and unsettled wherever you are. Hope this is not you. Good luck.
Basically you are suggesting that they are ****** wherever they live. That's a rather sobering thought.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:40 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

i have thought of going home a couple of times when things have been going not so well ... no doubt i will do again at some point , but thinking everyone in england is NOT 2 faced is a mistake , no matter where you live theres always horrible people ,the english aint exatly perfect by any means !! but then i aint saying canadians are either , its the same where ever ya live theres good and bad in everyone
i hope you get settled wherever you end up xxx
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Lemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deva
Cheese again. Has any other food product shattered more ex-pat dreams?

Ironically, we found the English cheese they export to Superstore is nicer than the cheese we bought in the UK. I don't understand that. OK, it is twice the price, but anyway...

$20 gets you a superb bottle of local NS wine. Maybe you are just in the wrong area? Canada is quite a diverse country, perhaps another area might suit you more?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:31 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deenailz
i have thought of going home a couple of times when things have been going not so well ... no doubt i will do again at some point , but thinking everyone in england is NOT 2 faced is a mistake , no matter where you live theres always horrible people ,the english aint exatly perfect by any means !! but then i aint saying canadians are either , its the same where ever ya live theres good and bad in everyone
i hope you get settled wherever you end up xxx
What you said
Don't eat cheese so not a problem
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemons

Ironically, we found the English cheese they export to Superstore is nicer than the cheese we bought in the UK. I don't understand that. OK, it is twice the price, but anyway...

$20 gets you a superb bottle of local NS wine. Maybe you are just in the wrong area? Canada is quite a diverse country, perhaps another area might suit you more?
Wine is bloody expensive here. I could get a nice red in Morrisons for 2.99 gbp. You've got to pay 11 or 12 dollars here.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
The Currys are pants, Bacon is NOT the same.

The snow is deep, the winters are cold, Drs drive taxis, Engineers deliver Pizza, there are Anabaptists everywhere, Medical Insurance is expensive, Drivers are crap, Alberta is ruining the enviroment, .................................................. ..............................
.................................................. ..................
.................................................. .....................
.................................................. ...............................
I thought you were being ironic until you said that last thing.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:52 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I thought you were being ironic until you said that last thing.
Hey I need to be serious every once in a while
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:58 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hey I need to be serious every once in a while
nah........you must be buying your bacon in the wrong place

runs off to make a bacon butty with HP
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemons

Yep - we used to buy Canadian cheddar at Sainsbury's and it was delish. Somehow, when it remains in it's home country it becomes rubberised. Maybe the flight or sea crossing are what makes it edible in the UK

Yes, cheese again - it must definitely be the straw that broke the camel's wotsit.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

PC Extra Old is not bad.
It's not as good as a nice mature one but it's tons better than Black Diamond and the others packaged as a slab.

I was just looking over Sainsbury's site and I don't see that big a difference. Mild and Medium cheddars are £9+ a kilo. Similar ones here come to around $12 a kilo and that's actually cheaper.

The difference here is that the really tasty ones are more expensive. I like a nice mature cheese (one that comes just short of taking the skin off the roof of my mouth) but I don't think it needs to be that tasty when used in cooking - grilled cheese, on toast, cheese sauces, Lasagne etc or in salads.

Overall I'd say the cost is about the same when you take into account the cheaper stuff for cooking and the more expensive stuff when you want something tasty.

The Brie I bought the other day was the same price as that in Sainsbury's.

As far as wines go, I buy pretty much the same stuff here as I did in England and it's about 20c a bottle more. I'm pretty sure NB booze prices are a little more than most of Canada though.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:02 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
As a dreaded Cradle Canadian I can say we are two faced. We are raised with this cultural value that one must always appear to be a nice person. Today my son’s teacher stressed that while the that shortbread cookies for the holidays we gave her were nice but not necessary. I responded with the standard sorry when what I really wanted to say was “I was doing something nice for the holidays you miserable cow, would it kill you to be appreciative ?!”
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

having been living in winnipeg for a couple of years, I am having to spend a year in the UK. Now I have heard (there was a survey last year) that winnipeg grocery prices esp fresh stuff is higher in manitoba than the rest of the country (cheerfully balanced by cheaper beer) But I can categorically state that grocerys are cheaper in the west midlands than they are in Winnipeg across the board. currently you cannot but anything without getting something free. THe fact that you dont need to go to a separate place to get your wine is nice too, and very much cheaper. thats before you look at malts

Starbucks however is more expensive in the UK, although as there is only a handful of them in the country that saves me a decent wedge as I cant be bothered to drive 10 miles to the nearest one

Canadians are a great bunch, the folks who gave me most aggrevation are the uk expats - a right mardy bunch if you ask me

Why is it not ok for someone to post on this board that he didnt get on with canada and has decided to go home?

If we are only allowed to post one sided stories(without getting shot down) its not going to make for a healthy forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.