Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:29 am
Just Joined

canadiangrape is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK

Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:44 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
Okay, then you're doing the right thing, FOR YOU.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Sorry you haven't been able to make your life work here in canada however your reasons for moving back to the UK seem very insignificant compared to the stunning open spaces rater than concrete galore. You are not shopping in the correct places if you spend that much on cheese and can't get a decent bottle of wine.

Think very hard before you move back it could be the 30,000 dollar mistake.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted.
Whatever the negatives are for living here (and I sometimes contemplate a move back to the UK no doubt with an element of rose-tinted glasses) I'm in no doubt that it's NOT because all Canadians are two faced and cannot be trusted.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a question or point here somewhere? I can see the price of wine and cheese would be a good reason to move.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
Sorry you haven't been able to make your life work here in canada however your reasons for moving back to the UK seem very insignificant compared to the stunning open spaces rater than concrete galore. You are not shopping in the correct places if you spend that much on cheese and can't get a decent bottle of wine.

Think very hard before you move back it could be the 30,000 dollar mistake.

It seems to me the price of wine and the quality of the cheese are fair complaints against Canada. Fair reason to leave? Dunno about that.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Whatever the negatives are for living here ....... I'm in no doubt that it's NOT because all Canadians are two faced and cannot be trusted.

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems to me the price of wine and the quality of the cheese are fair complaints against Canada. Fair reason to leave? Dunno about that.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Cheese again. Has any other food product shattered more ex-pat dreams?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:12 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
Curry?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:43 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
Bacon
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:53 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of repeating myself, I was told by an elderly patient in the UK years ago that most people who "fail" emigrating do so because they can't get Marmite!

When I looked surprised he explained that if not Marmite per se it could be cheese, or wine or whatever, ... but some small and apparently inconsequential item that summed up for the emigrant as the whole reason why they were miserable in their new life.

Of course it's not the reason, ... it's a symptom of the fact that they really can't settle, and becomes a tangible focus for their discontent.

If you are happy then the fact that some item of food is "inferior", prohibitively expensive or unavailable is really no deal-breaker.

Sorry you did not settle. Hope you can settle back in the UK, though it's been seen many times on here that once home, folks might remember why they left in the first place. You can end up feeling disgruntled and unsettled wherever you are. Hope this is not you. Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
though it's been seen many times ......... that once home, folks might remember why they left in the first place. You can end up feeling disgruntled and unsettled wherever you are.
Do you know my parents by any chance?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:01 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear you have not settled here.

i am sure the wine and cheese are the 'straw that broke the camels back' .

Note to all people considering a move over. Things are different in canada and if you expect the same, then you may struggle to settle.

Last edited by Helen Parnell; Dec 21st 2009 at 5:04 am.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Canada is not the same as the UK. We have expensive wine and cheese!
The Currys are pants, Bacon is NOT the same.

The snow is deep, the winters are cold, Drs drive taxis, Engineers deliver Pizza, there are Anabaptists everywhere, Medical Insurance is expensive, Drivers are crap, Alberta is ruining the enviroment, .................................................. ..............................
.................................................. ..................
.................................................. .....................
.................................................. ...............................
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:08 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try the whiskey with smoked almonds though, that is a winner in my books. Keeps the price of the cheese off my mind, for a little while anyway.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Dec 21st 2009 at 5:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.